[Royal Bank] Receive 1.5 BA miles for every RBC Rewards point from Avion cards

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2011 10:42 pm
[OP]
Dec 10, 2008
31 posts
9 upvotes

[Royal Bank] Receive 1.5 BA miles for every RBC Rewards point from Avion cards

It's BAAAAACK!!!! I got this in my April BA Partner Bulletin. To all RBC VISA Infinite Avion and Platinum Avion cardholders, from May 01, 2009 to June 30, 2009 you'll get 1.5 BA Miles for every RBC Rewards point!! Time to transfer and unload those RBC Rewards again!!! Best points transfer deal ever!! :cheesygri

Receive 1.5 BA Miles for every RBC Rewards point you convert with your Avion card now.

From May 1 through June 30, 2009, RBC
121 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
6664 posts
907 upvotes
Toronto
Highly recommended that Avion cardholders consider this.

In December I was planning a trip to Borneo. First I was able to "gross up" my points by 50%. THEN I found that a round trip from Toronto would cost me only 50,000 BA miles instead of 100,000 Avion points!!! Amazing deal!

So, my 66,000 Avion points converted to 100,000 BA miles which gave me two return tickets to Borneo! Would have cost me 200,000 Avion points for the same trip.

What you do lose is the flexibility on dates that is Avion's selling point. Only limited seats are available to BA miles customers so I had to juggle my dates a bit.
Apr 22, 2004
156 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver
Is there an easy to to get a BA membership as I have never flown on BA? This deal is great as I want to convert my Avion miles to BA to Cathay so I can travel to HK.
Dec 21, 2006
649 posts
23 upvotes
Richmond
Cheapdeal wrote:
Apr 17th, 2009 2:12 pm
Is there an easy to to get a BA membership as I have never flown on BA? This deal is great as I want to convert my Avion miles to BA to Cathay so I can travel to HK.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/me ... blic/en_gb

FYI, you can redeem BA points for flights on Cathay. I'm not sure what Cathay charges in points to fly from North America to Asia, but it's only 50k BA points which is much less than other programs I've seen. So you might be better off just transferring to BA and redeeming with them for a Cathay flight to Asia. That's what I've done.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2006
3081 posts
14 upvotes
I need to get myself an Avion card... I have a TD Platinum Travel right now, feeling like the Avion would be better since I fly BA a lot.

The thing I lke about my TD is that I can still get BA points for reward flights.
[OP]
Dec 10, 2008
31 posts
9 upvotes
bumbaclot wrote:
Apr 17th, 2009 2:09 pm
Link?
There is no Link, as this was received in an April email Newsletter from BA, however in order to transfer your points you simply call RBC 1-800 ROYAL 1-2(1-800-769-2512) as stated on this site below, however if you call now you only get 1:1 point conversion but you have to wait till May 01 when the promotion starts to get the 1:1.5 conversion.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ec ... =115629850
Nov 25, 2002
979 posts
206 upvotes
Brampton
Thanks OP. Was waiting for this so I could transfer all my points out and cancel the Avions (Personal and Biz).
[OP]
Dec 10, 2008
31 posts
9 upvotes
darren22 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2009 2:26 pm
FYI, you can redeem BA points for flights on Cathay. I'm not sure what Cathay charges in points to fly from North America to Asia, but it's only 50k BA points which is much less than other programs I've seen. So you might be better off just transferring to BA and redeeming with them for a Cathay flight to Asia. That's what I've done.
YVR-HKK for eg. on econo redemptions are 60k miles on CX Asia Miles, so BA definitely has a better redemption than CX. Plus CX has now reduced their taxes as the Fuel Surcharge has come down big time so taxes are about ~$125 now compared to >$300+ a few months ago. Too bad CX don't have any codeshare flights from YEG where I'm from so I'd have to get myself to YVR in order to redeem to SE Asia. :mad:
Nov 25, 2002
979 posts
206 upvotes
Brampton
superman26 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2009 3:05 pm
YVR-HKK for eg. on econo redemptions are 60k miles on CX Asia Miles, so BA definitely has a better redemption than CX. Plus CX has now reduced their taxes as the Fuel Surcharge has come down big time so taxes are about ~$125 now compared to >$300+ a few months ago. Too bad CX don't have any codeshare flights from YEG where I'm from so I'd have to get myself to YVR in order to redeem to SE Asia. :mad:
You could probably fly AA to some city in the US and then CX to HKG, I'm guessing for the same miles.

EDIT: Scratch that, BA has a different schedule if you use two different partners. Star Alliance and Skyteam allow you to mix partners.
Dec 19, 2007
265 posts
45 upvotes
I'm intersted in doing this but I have no plans to fly anywhere anytime soon.

Is there a certain time period that you have to use your BA miles by?
[OP]
Dec 10, 2008
31 posts
9 upvotes
Anarchy wrote:
Apr 17th, 2009 3:41 pm
I'm intersted in doing this but I have no plans to fly anywhere anytime soon.

Is there a certain time period that you have to use your BA miles by?
From the BA site, you have 3 years before it expires, as long as you keep it active by puting points in there every 3 years it will reset again for another 3 years from that point. You transfer points once a year from your Avion and you'll be fine.

Are your BA Miles about to expire?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your BA Miles are yours to redeem as you wish and you are under no pressure to use them within a certain period - just so long as your account remains active. If, however, your account shows no mileage activity for 36 months, then any BA Miles left in the account will expire and be removed.

If your BA Miles are about to expire, there are a couple of ways you can stop this happening:

Take a flight with British Airways or any of our air partners, remembering to quote your Executive Club membership number when booking.
Redeem BA Miles with British Airways (including Part Cash Part Miles or Miles for Upgrade redemptions) or any of our air partners.
Earn BA Miles with any of our Executive Club partners, including financial, car rental, hotel and other service partners.
Buy more BA Miles by logging onto your account and selecting 'Purchase BA Miles'.
Find out more about our airline partners

Once your account shows a mileage transaction, your BA Miles will be valid for another 36 months.
Apr 23, 2004
499 posts
31 upvotes
Milton
Converting is probably a good idea since the cost of flying Long Haul (Canada/US) costs 35,000 RBC pts now instead of 30,000 as of May 1, 2009.
Nov 25, 2002
979 posts
206 upvotes
Brampton
AlphaTrion wrote:
Apr 17th, 2009 5:10 pm
Converting is probably a good idea since the cost of flying Long Haul (Canada/US) costs 35,000 RBC pts now instead of 30,000 as of May 1, 2009.
Especially if AA flies where you want to go, since AA domestic using BA miles is 25K miles (i.e. ~17K Avion points under this promo) and no fuel surcharge.

My wife and I (and baby) just went to Miami last weekend for 105K BA miles in Business, ~C$105 in taxes. The 105K BA miles were previously 70K Avion points transferred under the promo in December. If I had used my Avion points, it would have been 60K Avion points plus ~C$250 in taxes and fuel surcharge for Economy.

So I "traded" 10K in points for $150 cash plus Economy -> Business.
Dec 11, 2003
201 posts
22 upvotes
superman26 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2009 3:05 pm
To those who have successfully booked a Cathay Pacific flight YYZ-HKG using BA miles - how early do you need to book the flights in advance? If I want to go in early January 2010, would I still have a chance if I convert the Avion points to BA miles in May?