• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2009 6:07 pm
Tags:
Mar 23, 2009
990 posts
392 upvotes
Halifax

Received Cheque from ALLY - ITEM RETURNED DOMICILE REQUIRED

Ok, I debated to create a new thread or add to the others but decided to create new.

Long story made short - basically opened account Sept 2, was able to do a transfer from RBC to Ally without sending in verification cheque (bug in mis-instructions on their web site). Transfer did not occur after 5 business days. Called Ally, and customer rep said to do it again because the transfer was lost. I listened (stupidly) and did another transfer. 2 business days later, both transactions occurred on my RBC account. Incurred RETUREN fee.

Ally said they would cover the fee. Sent in proof to them and received cheque and letter from ALLY. Cashed cheque to my RBC account Nov 27th, ITEM RETURNED UNPAID on Dec 9th. and ITEM RETURNED FEE Dec 10th.

Now they want me to do it all over, go to RBC, get receipts of fee and unpaid item and send it to ALLY so they can send my another bounced cheque? WTF?

IT was never about the money, but the principle of their system not working. The customer reps have been accomodating, but at this point, I'm just lost for words to explain this.... All I can say is WOW and STAY AWAY FROM ALLY!

EDIT: 12/17/2009
So I finally received my cheque back from RBC - Reason for RETURN IS DOMICILE REQUIRED
Never seen this before - it seems that something is missing with the ALLY account and RBC was not able to identify it.
Also received voice mail from ALLY Managing Director Mike Spero but haven't been able to touch base with him yet.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I for one havent had any problem dealing with Ally and anytime I have a question their cust rep is very easy to reach. Transfers have never been a problem too, easy and quick. (I always test a few small transfer first back and forth to make sure the system works)

Although it looks like a problem with their system, but shouldnt you be made sure your account was setup properly first though? I mean, you know that there was something wrong to begin with when you can initiate a transfer without sending a cheque for verification. At this point, I would have stopped and made sure everything is ok on Ally's end first before even doing any transfer.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
2032 posts
546 upvotes
Toronto
How can a check from a bank bounce? Either an error on behalf of RBC or Ally is indeed f'ed up pretty badly.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4995 posts
2427 upvotes
Markham
Ally messed up double time. Don't see how the check can bounce.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1884 posts
230 upvotes
Maybe Ally stopped the cheque for some reason.
Aug 7, 2009
251 posts
11 upvotes
Scan or pic of notice of returned cheque or it didn't happen
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Happened to me too, tried transferring before I sent in the anti-laundering cheque. I only did a $5 test transfer though, and didn't do a 2nd one because the CSR explained to me that it will show up AFTER they cash in my cheque.

Anyways, it's a bug in their system, but it's also our fault for trying to mess up the system I guess. I'm surprised they offered to cover the NSF fees though, should've did a small test transfer first!
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Mar 23, 2009
990 posts
392 upvotes
Halifax
damnos wrote: Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I for one havent had any problem dealing with Ally and anytime I have a question their cust rep is very easy to reach. Transfers have never been a problem too, easy and quick. (I always test a few small transfer first back and forth to make sure the system works)

Although it looks like a problem with their system, but shouldnt you be made sure your account was setup properly first though? I mean, you know that there was something wrong to begin with when you can initiate a transfer without sending a cheque for verification. At this point, I would have stopped and made sure everything is ok on Ally's end first before even doing any transfer.
Yeah, I got that...since I said I did the second transfer STUPIDLY. Regardless, the fees were incurred, they said they would reimburse but bounced.
M08006899 wrote: Scan or pic of notice of returned cheque or it didn't happen
Why would I do this for you? I couldn't care less if YOU think it didn't happen. If I provided you a pic of santa, would you still believe?
Aug 7, 2009
251 posts
11 upvotes
Seanhfx wrote: Why would I do this for you? I couldn't care less if YOU think it didn't happen. If I provided you a pic of santa, would you still believe?
Sigh.... would some one like to explain the "Pics or it didn't happen" thing?
Nov 5, 2009
391 posts
39 upvotes
M08006899 wrote: Scan or pic of notice of returned cheque or it didn't happen
I agree, you are slamming a bank, indicating that it is issuing bum checks, prove it.
Nov 3, 2009
623 posts
222 upvotes
i guess ally is still working through some bugs. wouldnt let me log in after the first time i logged in. now its fine. What I got from the website is that they send two small deposits for you to verify and that no cheque was needed...do I still need to send in a cheque?
Mar 23, 2009
990 posts
392 upvotes
Halifax
mackersdixon wrote: I agree, you are slamming a bank, indicating that it is issuing bum checks, prove it.
I am NOT indicating that Ally is issuing bum checks! There is obviously a rational reason (I just haven't found it yet) but it STILL HAPPENED. I don't have to prove it to you by providing a scan of the returned cheque. Why would I do this? ;) If you feel it necessary not to think that I am honest, then don't believe me. I really couldn't care less.
starchland wrote: i guess ally is still working through some bugs. wouldnt let me log in after the first time i logged in. now its fine. What I got from the website is that they send two small deposits for you to verify and that no cheque was needed...do I still need to send in a cheque?
You need to send the cheque, even if verifying your ext account with the small deposits. You should not be allowed to do transfers into ALLY without sending in the cheque and it clearing. I was told several times in early September that this was a bug on the website. :D It should be fixed by now!

So you will NOT get access to your funds if the site allows you to do transfers before the verification cheque goes through. Take it from me, I have had 27 phone calls with them in the since Sept 15th.