Personal Finance

Recent Credit Card special in the paper RE: Rewards (Amex, CapOne, MBNA ...)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2012 10:36 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5550 posts
2221 upvotes

Recent Credit Card special in the paper RE: Rewards (Amex, CapOne, MBNA ...)

I believe it was in Wednesday's paper - an entire 8pg pull out on reward credit cards which I found pretty interesting - did anyone else see it?

I am looking for it but I forgot which paper it was in (G&M or Post?)

Thanks,
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
8 replies
Mar 23, 2004
47728 posts
13901 upvotes
Markham
TodayHello wrote: I believe it was in Wednesday's paper - an entire 8pg pull out on reward credit cards which I found pretty interesting - did anyone else see it?

I am looking for it but I forgot which paper it was in (G&M or Post?)

Thanks,

nice, i would like to see as well :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5550 posts
2221 upvotes
Deal Grabber wrote: Globe & Mail, Google is our best friend if we know how to use it. Now you can all thank me for making the effort :D

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in ... le2399075/

Thanks for the link, but that is actually not the one (searched it already) ;)

This was an 8pg pull-out - the cover story was about a couple who travel all over the world on their pts (Amex promo article), and then a bunch of interviews with Points collectors and how they optimize (An Exec, a dude who is probably on RFD as he mentioned belonging to deal sites, etc.)
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2033 posts
334 upvotes
TodayHello wrote: Thanks for the link, but that is actually not the one (searched it already) ;)

This was an 8pg pull-out - the cover story was about a couple who travel all over the world on their pts (Amex promo article), and then a bunch of interviews with Points collectors and how they optimize (An Exec, a dude who is probably on RFD as he mentioned belonging to deal sites, etc.)

Ah. You are going to make me drive to the central library :D
Well I tried....
Jan 8, 2009
895 posts
1301 upvotes
I think what you are referring to was on the Toronto Star recently...

I never learn anything new on these articles . I find them very boring, and they just basically list all the features of each reward programs.

Would be nicer if there are articles that critically evaluate the benefits / shortcomings of each program, and also offer a critical evaluation on how much each points (i.e. AP, AM, etc.) is worth....
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5550 posts
2221 upvotes
Found it - the physical copy .... Travel Rewards Special Section in Wednesday April 11th's Globe and Mail ......

Doesn't look like it is posted online, which is odd for the G&M - Im going to skim it again and post anything of interest
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5550 posts
2221 upvotes
Reporting in for those interested - they highlighted the following cards;

American Express Gold Rewards Card (lots of hype around the Tripflex feature and 1:1 conversion with Aeroplan)
Traveling Couple: http://theplanetd.com/

A lot of talk about consolidating pts to 1 (ideally), or 2 cards .... and having overlapping pts systems so you can convert if needed ..... and how the best use of pts isn't actual flights, but upgrading seats and hotels rooms.

Other sections include;
- Aeroplan
- United Airlines Mileage Plus Program (owner of www.GoMiles.com - a rewards tracking site)
- CapOne Aspire Travel World Mastercard, by some dude I am positive is on RFD :lol:

I've collected a pretty ridiculous amount of the banks 'visa rewards pts' .... and it still annoys me that we have to pay for the taxes on our trips - which can amount to quite a bit flying out of Pearson. Looking at a new pts program where instead of booking for me, I can book and then call in and have the rewards pts applied to my balance (incl. the taxes).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)