Pets

The recent pit pull mauling reminded me of a personal incident, where I almost killed a neighbor's dog.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2018 7:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1653 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto, ON

The recent pit pull mauling reminded me of a personal incident, where I almost killed a neighbor's dog.

This shows that animals are to be never 100% trusted:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.3709121

About 4.5 years ago, I almost had to kill one of my neighbor's unleashed dog after it came running towards my wife who is 8 months pregnant. When that dog came running towards us I treated it like an armed enemy combatant. If it doesn't turn around after shining a 1200 lumen strobe tactical strobe flashlight with sharpened strike bezel, I will make sure it doesn't live another day. The blinding light didn't work and I had to strike it once on the abdomen leaving a huge bloody bruise, that's when the canine woke up and decided to run back to its owner.

The owner tried to give me hell because I harmed her "well trained and friendly dog" and I dared her to call the police on me. I even offered her my phone. She smartened up and went back to her house.

I've always wondered if I really killed that dog, what would the legal repercussion be?
Dual XEON E5-2696V4 | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080Ti OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |1 TB Samsung 960 Pro
FreeNAS & Plex Server XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ1
35 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8800 posts
3297 upvotes
Toronto
Acted on self defense, you feared for your life and your wife / children.
traderjay wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 12:16 pm

About 4.5 years ago, I almost had to kill one of my neighbor's unleashed dog after it came running towards my wife who is 8 months pregnant. When that dog came running towards us I treated it like an armed enemy combatant. If it doesn't turn around after shining a 1200 lumen strobe tactical strobe flashlight with sharpened strike bezel, I will make sure it doesn't live another day. The blinding light didn't work and I had to strike it once on the abdomen leaving a huge bloody bruise, that's when the canine woke up and decided to run back to its owner.

The owner tried to give me hell because I harmed her "well trained and friendly dog" and I dared her to call the police on me. I even offered her my phone. She smartened up and went back to her house.

I've always wondered if I really killed that dog, what would the legal repercussion be?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1653 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 12:20 pm
Acted on self defense, you feared for your life and your wife / children.
I am certain that dog wouldn't do much damage on me. But a single bite on a pregnant women is unthinkable. If anything bad happens, I think that woman will lose her house. After that experience, I treat every dog I see on the street with suspicion, leashed or unleashed. When we go walking in the trails in the summer, I always carry a long stick with sharpened edge.
Dual XEON E5-2696V4 | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080Ti OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |1 TB Samsung 960 Pro
FreeNAS & Plex Server XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ1
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8800 posts
3297 upvotes
Toronto
Bear spray.
traderjay wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 12:24 pm
I am certain that dog wouldn't do much damage on me. But a single bite on a pregnant women is unthinkable. If anything bad happens, I think that woman will lose her house. After that experience, I treat every dog I see on the street with suspicion, leashed or unleashed. When we go walking in the trails in the summer, I always carry a long stick with sharpened edge.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
4580 posts
2012 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
traderjay wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 12:24 pm
Seems very extreme. Why are you worried about people walking their dogs leashed even?
Dec 11, 2003
960 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 4:09 pm
Seems very extreme. Why are you worried about people walking their dogs leashed even?
After a traumatic experience like this you tend to fear that it could happen again. I suppose that's why some people talk to trained professionals to try and get over the fear or at least be more calm about it.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4806 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
soupmaster666 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 3:57 pm
The CDC released a study (17 years ago, now) that showed that banning specific breeds of animals, namely Pit Bull and Rottweiler dogs, is not likely to be effective.

I don't care though, I've seen the statistics and I've seen video, and I'm glad they're outright banned in Ontario. I've never heard of a frenzied Golden Retriever tearing the arm off of a child or an insane Husky eating a Dachshund.
Here you go then ... http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1065711
Dec 11, 2003
960 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
milhaus wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 4:12 pm
Here you go then ... http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1065711
WTF? That is horrible. I wonder if the father would have woken up from the commotion if he was actually napping in the same room where the baby was.

I think the government's thoughts are that it is less likely to happen with other breeds.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1653 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Chickinvic wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 4:09 pm
Many dog owners leaves out way too much lease to give their canine more room to roam. If they go beserk, I doubt the owners can react fast enough or have the strength to reel in their dogs. Now with my son, I teach him to avoid any dogs without closeby adult supervision.
Banned
Jan 6, 2018
37 posts
9 upvotes
traderjay wrote:
If it doesn't turn around after shining a 1200 lumen strobe tactical strobe flashlight with sharpened strike bezel, I will make sure it doesn't live another day.
Okay. Yeah, you're tough.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
14713 posts
10527 upvotes
Toronto
When I was about 12 years old my leashed basset hound was attacked by an unleashed pit bull in Toronto . Me and the pit bull owner unleashed a flurry of kicks, etc before it would let go.

City of Toronto issued a fine and muzzle order for pit bull.

From that point on the young me started carrying a 6-D Maglite flashlight and a Buckmaster LT hunting knife (I was dumb). I wouldn't hesitate to bash the brains outta next unleashed dog and/or poke it too . Thankfully I never needed those items though on future walks.

Older me is wiser now.
Rex, eat the salad.
Sep 16, 2006
824 posts
144 upvotes
Pickering
sprung wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 12:21 pm
When I was about 12 years old my leashed basset hound was attacked by an unleashed pit bull in Toronto . Me and the pit bull owner unleashed a flurry of kicks, etc before it would let go.

City of Toronto issued a fine and muzzle order for pit bull.

From that point on the young me started carrying a 6-D Maglite flashlight and a Buckmaster LT hunting knife (I was dumb). I wouldn't hesitate to bash the brains outta next unleashed dog and/or poke it too . Thankfully I never needed those items though on future walks.

Older me is wiser now.
Why not step it up a notch and buy a sub-machine gun on the black market in deepest darkest Scarborough? (joking obv)

Seriously some of you guys are too much man.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1690 posts
372 upvotes
Markham
Guys, there is such thing called Dog / Bear spray.
Works 100% of the time, small, compact, increase your range from 1m to +5m, and non-lethal.
Close range combat is the last thing you want....
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1690 posts
372 upvotes
Markham
traderjay wrote:

Animal attacks are rare when compare to other form of accident.
A lot more people die everyday as a result of vehicle accidents. This shows humans are not to be trusted.