None
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13073 posts
1032 upvotes
Montreal
chickibum wrote:
Apr 9th, 2011 3:40 pm
My SO has koodo, and his reception sucks. I dont even bother calling anymore because he constantly breaks up, its really bad. We're in Brampton. He has the LG Optimus, at first we thought it was the phone, so we exchanged for another one (which Koodo was great with, no complaints there), but its still next to impossible to have a phone conversation.

The fundamental problem with Bellus (and by extension Koodo) is that they overlaid their HSPA network on top of their old CDMA network. Where HSPA coverage is good, they run at 3G and get better speeds than Rogers/Fido because of less network congestion. Unfortunately they use GSM phones like Rogers, so while Rogers users can fall back on the old 2g network in case of congestion, Bell/Telus don't have that option. Rogers old 2g network is probably more extensive than Belus' 3g network.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4332 posts
307 upvotes
Mississauga
flamez1000 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2011 5:01 pm
Yeah, they do - AWS 1700/2100. That however, is not a predictor of signal quality. Both of them just don't have enough towers yet is all. I was previously on Telus, and even though it wasn't as great as Rogers/Fido at UTSC, it was pretty good. Signal was fine in all classes, the quiet rooms, almost everywhere in the Bladen Wing, and even some labs. The only place I didn't have signal was on the Dell Computers in the library.

Of all the different cell phone companies I've tried so far at UTSC, this was the order or signal strength: Rogers>Fido>Telus>Wind>Mobilicity. Didn't try Bell, Virgin, Solo, Koodo, Chatr, etc. yet so I can't comment on them. Do keep in mind that these tests were performed with different phones on each network, so results may be biased.
Interesting. Your experiences don't seem too bad with Telus. I think I will likely end up giving them a try. And I'll likely just pick up the LG Optimus One, as the Curve really has nothing on the Optimus One other than BBM.
chickibum wrote:
Apr 9th, 2011 5:43 pm
Hehe I knew you would think that, but its not like that. One thing though, his reception is ok most of the time outside, but its when he's inside that you just can't hear anything. Hopefully it might be different in your area
That's peculiar as normally Koodo > WIND in terms of reception, and my reception in the GTA on the latter has been terrific outside. Not a single dropped call or anything ever.
Buy Bell, and you go to HELL! :-0
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
2751 posts
233 upvotes
Nook wrote:
Apr 10th, 2011 12:08 am
Interesting. Your experiences don't seem too bad with Telus. I think I will likely end up giving them a try. And I'll likely just pick up the LG Optimus One, as the Curve really has nothing on the Optimus One other than BBM.
Yeah, I forgot to mention, I tested Telus 3G, not CDMA, so you should be fine with an LG Optimus One. Android FTW!
Nook wrote:
Apr 10th, 2011 12:08 am
That's peculiar as normally Koodo > WIND in terms of reception, and my reception in the GTA on the latter has been terrific outside. Not a single dropped call or anything ever.

Same deal with Mobilicity - outside reception is perfect, inside it sucks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4332 posts
307 upvotes
Mississauga
flamez1000 wrote:
Apr 10th, 2011 11:12 am
Yeah, I forgot to mention, I tested Telus 3G, not CDMA, so you should be fine with an LG Optimus One. Android FTW!

Same deal with Mobilicity - outside reception is perfect, inside it sucks.
I see. Yeah I sort of wanted to grab the Android to support a better cause (plus the thousands of apps).

Now I'll go look around for a referral code and place my order. Thanks for your input, Flamez and everyone else.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
2751 posts
233 upvotes
Nook wrote:
Apr 10th, 2011 2:39 pm
I see. Yeah I sort of wanted to grab the Android to support a better cause (plus the thousands of apps).

Now I'll go look around for a referral code and place my order. Thanks for your input, Flamez and everyone else.

No prob. Good luck.
Nov 16, 2011
1 posts
How do the different service providers stack up in network coverage as well as Plans?
Can anyone from BC shed some light on

1) Network Coverage
2) Price Plan (Mobilicity currently has the best plan but rumor has it their coverage is spotty especially outside of Vancouver Metro)
3) Customer Service
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3113 posts
318 upvotes
Koodo is going to have far superior coverage over the new entrants such as mobi,wind,public...
Have a look at there sites and compare the plans... Everyone is different as to what they want in a plan such as min or data as well as LD...

ip31us wrote:
Nov 17th, 2011 3:36 pm
How do the different service providers stack up in network coverage as well as Plans?
Can anyone from BC shed some light on

1) Network Coverage
2) Price Plan (Mobilicity currently has the best plan but rumor has it their coverage is spotty especially outside of Vancouver Metro)
3) Customer Service
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2004
2136 posts
210 upvotes
I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy Ace on Koodo from Bestbuy. Cost me $25 and they gave me a $50 gift card. Comes with a $150 tab though. Reception is fine. I still have my Blackberry on Telus to compare.

I am really liking Android so far.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4332 posts
307 upvotes
Mississauga
Interesting that this thread got bumped after so long.

I agree with the content of Manmanny's link: any foreign investor would be a fool to enter Canada's telecommunication/internet/wireless industry.

As for my story, I at the last moment decided not to go for Koodo. I went with Rogers and got myself a Nexus S. I didn't really want data so I had them toss me on the flex data plan (150mb) for $5 a month. If I had decided to get rid of the data, that would have cost me $100. So in essence, I get 150mb a month for 20 months for the same price of not having any data and I must say that once in a while I do use the data to find directions, movie times on the road, check email and I never go over.

Unlike when I was with WIND, I no longer repeatedly see 0 bars inside of large buildings. So happy ending for me. :)
Feb 14, 2009
41 posts
1 upvote
York
I have been with fido for 4 years now. Been satisfied mostly and never got bad signals. Used it in Kitchener/Waterloo and then in Toronto. Also have an Ipad plan with them. Have to say Fidos signal strenth for the IPad is pretty weak and not very reliable from where I use it most (in markham/york region). These days I am looking to Wind/Mobilicity. Their plans look great, however the phones suck compared to the Rogers/Fido compatible ones.
× < >