• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 12:06 am
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 15, 2016
7 posts

Receptionist

Are there any places that will hire a receptionist without experience?

I'm struggling right now, but I know that this is a job I'm capable of doing.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
6772 posts
401 upvotes
Markham
Why do you want to become a receptionist? Why not an admin assistant? Customer service rep or office clerk?

If you have no experience, why you think you are capable of doing?
Receptionist sometimes is more than just take call and transfer to internal staff.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Sep 15, 2016
7 posts
MP3_SKY wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 5:51 pm
Why do you want to become a receptionist? Why not an admin assistant? Customer service rep or office clerk?

If you have no experience, why you think you are capable of doing?
Receptionist sometimes is more than just take call and transfer to internal staff.
I want to become a receptionist because I'm good at typing up documents and organizing files.

I would like to become an administrative assistant, customer service rep or office clerk as well. Do you know of any places that are hiring without experience? I'd love to hear from you. You're welcome to send me a private message.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
6772 posts
401 upvotes
Markham
Try applying through the recruiters. They can see what jobs they hv available, filter it out base on your experience and recommend you their clients (employers)
On yourresume, put the experience even you worked volunteer in any office places or at school, etc.
It will help...Good Luck.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Apr 21, 2014
857 posts
164 upvotes
Alberta
isgaard wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 5:42 pm
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/automat ... -1.3982466

Reception = a job that eventually will be replaced by automation
Better to go through recruiter and you will most likely get short term placements for vacation or mat leave replacements but you will then have experience to look for a more permanent role.

My last two workplace didnt even have a receptionist.
Sep 6, 2011
74 posts
42 upvotes
abc123yyz wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 6:19 pm
Better to go through recruiter and you will most likely get short term placements for vacation or mat leave replacements but you will then have experience to look for a more permanent role.

My last two workplace didnt even have a receptionist.
Same here, no receptionist needed at current office job or previous jobs.

For the OP, there's a short term goal, finding a job. After that, it's keeping the job or moving onto something better.

imaging the next 20/30/40 years of your life working, better find a career that will exist. This means moving up the ladder and avoiding jobs that a robot or a machine can do, and jobs that are automated.
Feb 16, 2013
168 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
The problem is that there is not really any job that a computer or robot will not be able to do.
Robots and automation have gutted hourly wage workers.

Part of the Coors bottling plant here in Toronto was modernized.
Due to automation and efficiency 23 out of 30 positions became redundant.
This was ten years ago.

Americans are designing a new tank, might be autonomous/ remote controlled.

Anesthesiologists are being replaced by machines with remote control option.

If it's not automation then it's cookie cutter designs; no more architects required.
Put up I-beams, pour slab and run coreline/PEX.

Tighter and tighter margins.
The boom of the 90s is over, long over unfortunately.

/fragmented rant over.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16523 posts
1598 upvotes
GTA West
transgirl wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 1:07 pm
Are there any places that will hire a receptionist without experience?

I'm struggling right now, but I know that this is a job I'm capable of doing.
If you apply to smaller start-up type companies, you might get in. I know when my employer was smaller, they hired some front-desk people who had good attitudes and personalities but didn't have substantial experience. For some of these people it worked out, whereas others couldn't handle it.

I know one of the reception people hired was working in a customer service call centre for a furniture company. She was 'discovered' by the wife of one of the senior management people who had called into that customer service line and was impressed by her.
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Mar 19th, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6655 posts
844 upvotes
Start retail first? Get some "customer service" experience
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel