Rechargeable Batteries

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2016 6:37 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5485 posts
2762 upvotes

Rechargeable Batteries

Is eneloop still the go to brand? what about the ikeas or amazon basics?
11 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
While I own plenty of Eneloops, my next purchase will be Amazon Basics .... Eneloop has become too pricey (to me at least) ...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
BenK wrote: Is eneloop still the go to brand? what about the ikeas or amazon basics?
I bought a lot of the Ikea Ladda for $1.99 - $2.99, they work, but I found all of them leaked.
I fully charged them, and left them in a box. A few months (7-8 months) later, they have little to no charge, I had to recharge them again. Then they'll work.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
willy wrote: While I own plenty of Eneloops, my next purchase will be Amazon Basics .... Eneloop has become too pricey (to me at least) ...
This. maybe go with amazonbasics. you can get some %off with student prime.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5485 posts
2762 upvotes
whats a good charger to get to use with the amazon basics?
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
BenK wrote: Is eneloop still the go to brand? what about the ikeas or amazon basics?
I bought a lot of the Ikea Ladda for $1.99 - $2.99, they work, but I found all of them leaked.
I fully charged them, and left them in a box. A few months (7-8 months) later, they have little to no charge, I had to recharge them again. Then they'll work.
What kind of charger did you use ?
I have some of the LADDAs as well never had any issues, retains 80% charge after 1.5 years still.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
EdT586 wrote:
konsensei wrote:
What kind of charger did you use ?
I have some of the LADDAs as well never had any issues, retains 80% charge after 1.5 years still.
The Eneloop one came in the Eneloop package deal from Dell a few years back.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
konsensei wrote:
I wouldn't say that they leaked then... a leaking battery typically means that the stuff inside the battery is leaking out and the battery can't be reused - see picture below -

What you mean is that they completely discharged on it's own but can be recharged.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
willy wrote: While I own plenty of Eneloops, my next purchase will be Amazon Basics .... Eneloop has become too pricey (to me at least) ...
It's not that the Eneloops have gotten too pricey (as the regular price really hasn't changed), it's that cheaper versions of the LSD battery (Low Self Discharge battery) are now widely available and the value proposition between Eneloops and other rechargeables just isn't there any more.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
craftsman wrote:
konsensei wrote:
I wouldn't say that they leaked then... a leaking battery typically means that the stuff inside the battery is leaking out and the battery can't be reused - see picture below -

What you mean is that they completely discharged on it's own but can be recharged.
"leaking" charge?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
EdT586 wrote: Only alkaline leak !
That's incorrect... the picture I posted are of NiCAD rechargeables... Also, NiMH do something similar as well with white crystals (or a salt like substance) appearing typically near the vents on the positive terminal.

Alkalines are the worst however as when they leak they typically damage the device as well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)