Green / Eco-Friendly

Rechargeable batteries, needs one that does not overcharge!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2012 4:16 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3688 posts
1227 upvotes
Oshawa, ON

Rechargeable batteries, needs one that does not overcharge!

Hey RFD, I'm in search of some rechargeable batteries with a charging station that does not overcharge. For example, I don't want the charging light to go from red to green and keep charging after being complete, I'd like it to go from red to shut off, so it doesn't overcharge and kill the batteries. The only one I've found so far is the Duracell CEF15NC 15 Minute charger, but I've read reviews that this isn't good for the battery either (I've read 15 Min chargers really kills the life of batteries). This goes for about $50 at Staples. If anyone has reccomendations for chargers like these, I'd really appreciate it. I've searched Best Buy, Future Shop, Tiger Direct, Wal-Mart and still can't find the one I'm looking for.
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6795 posts
2504 upvotes
YEG
The best charger would be a Maha 9000 or Lacrosse BC900. I've had the Lacrosse for about 3 years and it's awesome. Around $60-80, depending on where you buy it. Amazon.com seems to be the lowest price if you live near the border.

I'm sure some people will disagree with me, but I charge my batteries at 200ma instead of 1000ma because I'm not in a rush and it generates the least amount of heat.

http://www.paulsfinest.com/Maha-PowerEx ... arger.html
http://www.techmati.com/photography/la- ... y-charger/
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5969 posts
2753 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
You should consider using low self-discharge NiMH batteries. They can retain up to 85% charge after a year. Easier on the batteries and save electricity. Shoppers Drug Mart puts the Duracell version on sale frequently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eneloop
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4233 posts
1220 upvotes
This charger from Powerex is really good. Has build-in battery conditioning system with soft or rapid charge. Comes with LCD as well. Its AAA batteries has 2700mAh as well.

And this is good for any other electronics too.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
A lot of the Sanyo Eneloop kits come with smart chargers that charge at 1A. The original kit had a great charger.

There's a lot of discussion about charge rates but a lot will agree that 0.5-1C (yes C, C for capacity) is the best trade off for life and charge time. A charge rate that's too low won't do anything to break up the crystallization at the anode(? I can't remember which pole actually gets the build up).

So most smart chargers use 1A (or less for AAA) to get the battery charged in 1-2 hours.

The Duracell kit with 2AAs and a charger that looks like a mouse that is frequently on sale at SDM is a smart charger.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
rf134a wrote: The best charger would be a Maha 9000 or Lacrosse BC900. I've had the Lacrosse for about 3 years and it's awesome. Around $60-80, depending on where you buy it. Amazon.com seems to be the lowest price if you live near the border.

I'm sure some people will disagree with me, but I charge my batteries at 200ma instead of 1000ma because I'm not in a rush and it generates the least amount of heat.

http://www.paulsfinest.com/Maha-PowerEx ... arger.html
http://www.techmati.com/photography/la- ... y-charger/

+1

Get a better charger and your batteries will last much longer. Got a Maha C9000 myself.
signature edited for rule violations
Feb 20, 2011
260 posts
29 upvotes
Avatar wrote: This charger from Powerex is really good. Has build-in battery conditioning system with soft or rapid charge. Comes with LCD as well. Its AAA batteries has 2700mAh as well.

And this is good for any other electronics too.

+1

Maha/Powerex chargers are among the best of the best as others in this thread have also recommended. I have that same 8 cell charger and every battery position has a totally independent charging circuit. It constantly monitors the state of each battery while charging and then drops into a very low trickle charge when the main charge is complete. It's a pretty sophisticated charger and worth every cent. (Your batteries will last longer as well) The Maha/Powerex/Imedion batteries are also top notch and consistently score at the top of the charts in most online reviews/comparisons. Cheers!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6795 posts
2504 upvotes
YEG
tebore wrote: A lot of the Sanyo Eneloop kits come with smart chargers that charge at 1A. The original kit had a great charger.

There's a lot of discussion about charge rates but a lot will agree that 0.5-1C (yes C, C for capacity) is the best trade off for life and charge time. A charge rate that's too low won't do anything to break up the crystallization at the anode(? I can't remember which pole actually gets the build up).

So most smart chargers use 1A (or less for AAA) to get the battery charged in 1-2 hours.

The Duracell kit with 2AAs and a charger that looks like a mouse that is frequently on sale at SDM is a smart charger.

Do you have any sites so I can do some reading on this? I believe that li-ion batteries stop working due to anode deterioration.

1C for Eneloops is a lot of current...
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
Feb 20, 2011
260 posts
29 upvotes
rf134a wrote: Do you have any sites so I can do some reading on this? I believe that li-ion batteries stop working due to anode deterioration.

Just to clarify... Sanyo Eneloops and Powerex Imedions are not Lithium Ion. They're still NiMH technology but use a revised formulation that minimizes the self discharge over time which is common to standard NiMH cells. Cheers!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
rf134a wrote: Do you have any sites so I can do some reading on this? I believe that li-ion batteries stop working due to anode deterioration.

There's a few sites if you google them

Eneloops are incredible batteries.

I have a Maha 9000 charging them and I can go between 1A(0.5C) or 2A(1C). I usually use 1A but even if using 2A it barely warms up.

I'm using them in a flashlight that can start fires(don't ask) it takes 9AA and draws about 8A. Eneloops can handle 8A no problem and has been doing it for 4 years.
Feb 1, 2010
177 posts
26 upvotes
Eneloops are really good but god are they expensive !

Luckily, RFD & DELL often pair up to offer pretty good deals on them

You can buy the kit of 8AA+4AAA along with the overnight charger using the following code :7QSLMP6$?$Q6FV

Final price is 25.99$+tx & free shipping from over 66$ before rebate with

The batteries are supposed to last up to 1500 cycles and keep their a good portion of their charge (85% over a year IIRC)

Please note that the included charger is the overnight one, which means it's very slow.

Have a nice day

Original thread :
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/dell-rfd ... a-1135066/
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
I wish there was a deal for D-cell eneloops (Real D-Cell not an AA in a D-casing, capacity is a tip off). They're ~12,000mAh and can delivered sustained double digit Amps without batting a lash.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5969 posts
2753 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
tebore wrote: There's a few sites if you google them

Eneloops are incredible batteries.

I have a Maha 9000 charging them and I can go between 1A(0.5C) or 2A(1C). I usually use 1A but even if using 2A it barely warms up.

I'm using them in a flashlight that can start fires(don't ask) it takes 9AA and draws about 8A. Eneloops can handle 8A no problem and has been doing it for 4 years.

I never heard of the term "C" before. So .5C = 1 amp and 1C is 2 amps. How long does it take to charge at those rates?

What does the term "C" stand for and why don't they just use amps?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
fergy wrote: I never heard of the term "C" before. So .5C = 1 amp and 1C is 2 amps. How long does it take to charge at those rates?

What does the term "C" stand for and why don't they just use amps?
You have to know what C stands for before you ask why don't people use Amps.

C stands for capacity. It's a term used more in hobby charging.

It's helpful when you have battery packs and you're talking about charge rates. Lets say you have 10 batteries(in a pack) and you only say you're charging in 5A. That doesn't really help when you're trying to figure if you're putting too high of a current through a pack. For example you can have 10 batteries (lets say AA) in series then 5A would probably be higher than optimal, but if they were in parallel each cell is only seeing 1/10 that and it's fine. So many people just say charge at 0.5C or 1C. So you're always varying it by total capacity of the pack.

You'd use different C rates based on Chemistry. Eg Li-ions would handled higher C rates through out most of the charge cycle usually tapering off at the end or using a low C rate if the voltage of the pack is <3.2V per cell.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5969 posts
2753 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
tebore wrote: You have to know what C stands for before you ask why don't people use Amps.

C stands for capacity. It's a term used more in hobby charging.

It's helpful when you have battery packs and you're talking about charge rates. Lets say you have 10 batteries(in a pack) and you only say you're charging in 5A. That doesn't really help when you're trying to figure if you're putting too high of a current through a pack. For example you can have 10 batteries (lets say AA) in series then 5A would probably be higher than optimal, but if they were in parallel each cell is only seeing 1/10 that and it's fine. So many people just say charge at 0.5C or 1C. So you're always varying it by total capacity of the pack.

You'd use different C rates based on Chemistry. Eg Li-ions would handled higher C rates through out most of the charge cycle usually tapering off at the end or using a low C rate if the voltage of the pack is <3.2V per cell.

Wouldn't batteries in series present a more resistive load than in parallel? Batteries in parallel should each draw the full charge rate given a sufficiently powerful supply. That would be my thoughts on it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6795 posts
2504 upvotes
YEG
tebore wrote: I wish there was a deal for D-cell eneloops (Real D-Cell not an AA in a D-casing, capacity is a tip off). They're ~12,000mAh and can delivered sustained double digit Amps without batting a lash.

Walmart had Rayovac regular Nimh D-cells for $20 for 2, so eneloops would be incredibly expensive... couple that with another charger at $80-$100 for a dumb charger, probably double for anything approaching the Maha or La Crosse makes this combo a really niche product.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
fergy wrote: Wouldn't batteries in series present a more resistive load than in parallel? Batteries in parallel should each draw the full charge rate given a sufficiently powerful supply. That would be my thoughts on it.

Technically yes...

And that's why there's smart programmable chargers for hobby use. My example was simplified to explain the use of the term C.
Feb 1, 2010
177 posts
26 upvotes
Just received my shippment of eneloop.

The batteries were loose in a brown paper bag and the charger in another small paper bag

the 2 bags were then put in a small cardboard box

I was a bit puzzled at first but then I noticed there was a note in the box saying:

"Dear Valued Member,
Thank you for purchasing SANYO's eneloop pre-charged rechargeable batteries - the next generation customer battery.
The environment benefits from the use o f rechargeable batteries vs disposable single use batteries.ààTo stay on message, we have decided to package your batteries in a recyclable brown paper bag and recyclable packaging material.
The eneloop rechargeable batteries enclosed are brand new and under full warranty
Please enjoy your eneloop batteries
SANYO Canada Inc"

If you're concerned about the environment it's a nice plus.. Although I'm not sure it
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3688 posts
1227 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Thank you guys for all your input, I learned alot about these brands that I've never heard of. I've decided on getting
Powerex MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger. It's listed as $59.99 at Canada Computers but with a $10 instant rebate it's $49.99, this a good deal?

Also another question, what is the difference between these two batteries? I plan to purchase an extra set along with my charger.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=036676
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=035134
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6795 posts
2504 upvotes
YEG
The second set (Imedion) are low-self discharge batteries similar to the Eneloops. $13 for 4 is about average price.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA