Recommend good heater for bedroom in basement

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2018 10:47 am
[OP]
May 16, 2010
296 posts
3 upvotes

Recommend good heater for bedroom in basement

I have a finished basement with a bedroom which will be used for sleeping. I have central heating in the house but still basement is pretty cold so would want to buy a good heater to have a warm and good sleep. Which one you would recommend? I was told that oil heaters are best for bedroom in basement.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3325 posts
710 upvotes
I’ve used the parabolic dish heaters that Costco sells every year in various locations in my house. Works really well
I believe they are made by Presto, but many manufacturers make them
Last edited by Red_Army on Sep 16th, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
May 16, 2010
296 posts
3 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 2:40 pm
I’ve used the parabolic ish heaters that Costco sells every year in various locations in my house. Works really well
I believe they are made by Presto, but many manufacturers make them
whats the name? do you have the link on costco.ca ?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3325 posts
710 upvotes
srhcan wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 2:46 pm
whats the name? do you have the link on costco.ca ?
Presto Parabolic Dish heater. It’s not on their site right now but they get them in their stores every year
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
May 16, 2010
296 posts
3 upvotes
Also how much a heater would increase electricity bill if being used 8 hours per day at least?
Mar 3, 2018
430 posts
259 upvotes
GTA
srhcan wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 5:14 pm
is this an oil heater?
Not an oil heater. It is a oscillating ceramic heater. Uses 900 to 1500 watts to get to desired temp then goes standby. All electric heaters will increase your electricity bill. Might cost a dollar or two a day to run in the cold of winter.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28592 posts
3936 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I recommend the Presto heater sold at Costco. I don't own one, but I walk by them all the time at the warehouse and you can feel how much heat this thing outputs when you walk by one.
Jul 7, 2017
759 posts
257 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I would not recommend oil heaters in enclosed spaces. There can be fumes, and possibility of carbon monoxide. And not forgetting fire risk and possibility of spillage.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9310 posts
1094 upvotes
You should go with an oil heater. The parabolic / Canadian tire fan heaters get hot FAST, but they are not consistent. It'll be on off on off on off . So you'll get hot cold hot cold. The oil heater will warm up SLOWLY but will have a steady stream of heat.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4750 posts
1557 upvotes
Paris
aquariaguy wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 8:19 pm
You should go with an oil heater. The parabolic / Canadian tire fan heaters get hot FAST, but they are not consistent. It'll be on off on off on off . So you'll get hot cold hot cold. The oil heater will warm up SLOWLY but will have a steady stream of heat.
PLus parabolic heaters are BRIGHT and LOUD (at Least mine is Loud). OiL is a better option as they are quiet.

However, I put an energy sensor on ours for when my daughter was born and over a heating season it cost $180. That money wouLd have been better spent on taking off the drywaLL, fixing the insuLAtion, and re-drywaLLing.

I apoLgize for the random L capitaLs, my ipad keyboard is having a smaLl fit.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Apr 8, 2010
570 posts
238 upvotes
toronto
aquariaguy wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 8:19 pm
this... and for all the reason stated.

most heaters will warm the space up, then shuts off. gets cold then kicks back in. the oil will give you constant warm radiant heat. also, a lot safer if it tips over as there's no hot element to worry about.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)