• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2018 2:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2004
1045 posts
179 upvotes

Recommend me a nice place near ACC/SBA

Heading down to an afternoon Raptors game for Wifey's birthday, and I'd like to try out a nice "date-night" type place for dinner afterwards. I'll eat (or at least try) pretty much anything, though Wifey has a pretty basic palette: think of kid's menus -- plain pasta, chicken fingers, cheese pizza...

Anybody have any recommendations for something near the arena?
26 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2774 posts
317 upvotes
Toronto
Password wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 2:17 pm
Heading down to an afternoon Raptors game for Wifey's birthday, and I'd like to try out a nice "date-night" type place for dinner afterwards. I'll eat (or at least try) pretty much anything, though Wifey has a pretty basic palette: think of kid's menus -- plain pasta, chicken fingers, cheese pizza...

Anybody have any recommendations for something near the arena?
There's a couple new places in the bottom of Union station. Check out Union Chicken or Amano Pasta (fresh-made pasta, open kitchen)
Jul 7, 2017
996 posts
333 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I was wondering how close Accra and Santa Barbara were to each other

Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7181 posts
1442 upvotes
Mississauga
Across from Union Station in Brookfield Place is Movenpick Marche (I know, it's just Marche but it's pretty nice and lots of choices at each food station).
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2004
1045 posts
179 upvotes
Friend at work suggested Mercato... thoughts?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7181 posts
1442 upvotes
Mississauga
Password wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 4:24 pm
Friend at work suggested Mercato... thoughts?
It's in a hotel. And that area isn't that nice.

If you don't mind walking a few mins to King Street, there's tons of nice restaurants. Pizzeria Libretto is in that area.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2200 posts
296 upvotes
Real Sports is quite the place if you can get a table without waiting too long

I also like Badali's for pasta, Scaddabush is good too
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6251 posts
2330 upvotes
Toronto
If you want something very close, Kelly's Landing and Miller Tavern are both pretty good. If you're willing to walk 10-15 east on Front I'd recommend Cest What, Hot House and Corner Place. All of these places are chill, relatively inexpensive and have good variety on their menu where even the most picky eater will find something they can enjoy.
BigJonsson wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 3:30 am
Real Sports is quite the place if you can get a table without waiting too long
This place is absolutely rammed when there's a game going on and generally not an ideal environment for a date-night imo.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2200 posts
296 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 3:04 pm
If you want something very close, Kelly's Landing and Miller Tavern are both pretty good. If you're willing to walk 10-15 east on Front I'd recommend Cest What, Hot House and Corner Place. All of these places are chill, relatively inexpensive and have good variety on their menu where even the most picky eater will find something they can enjoy.

This place is absolutely rammed when there's a game going on and generally not an ideal environment for a date-night imo.
This is true, but I think you can make reservations for pre and post-game now?

Is Kelly's Landing actually good?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6251 posts
2330 upvotes
Toronto
BigJonsson wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 3:41 pm
This is true, but I think you can make reservations for pre and post-game now?

Is Kelly's Landing actually good?
maybe but I haven't been in a few years now because it's generally too loud and crazy and not my scene. Kelly's Landing is about as good as any of the other "Landing" places. I'm not a fan of chain restaurants in general but it's definitely a nicer dining environment for a date night than the other nearby pubs
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13391 posts
2205 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
I'd recommend Cest What, Hot House and Corner Place.
Hot House is AYCE on Wednesday nights. Great food. A nice alternative to the Chinese AYCE's.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10604 posts
1276 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:

I agree about Real Sports. Since this is an afternoon game OP won't be the only people to pick a restaurant after the game. Real Sports bar is the closest one and people will flock to it. Also looking at the Raptors' schedule, their only afternoon game left this year is next week. Leafs are not in town, but they are playing at 7pm. Real Sports will fill up with Leafs fans too. Also real Sports food has taken a nose dive. They used to have really good food, but it's now no better than most other places in that area.

If you don't mind a 15 minute walk, Amsterdam Brewhouse is pretty good... and has a kid's menu without the loud annoying screaming kids of Old Spaghetti Factory or Boston Pizza.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13391 posts
2205 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 4:55 pm
If you don't mind a 15 minute walk, Amsterdam Brewhouse is pretty good... and has a kid's menu without the loud annoying screaming kids of Old Spaghetti Factory or Boston Pizza.
lol @ Boston Pizza "Loud annoying screaming kids" I don't know about the kid part but the adults there sure were loud enough!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6293 posts
1086 upvotes
Marche in Brookfield Place for the variety and quality.
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"