Health & Wellness

Recommend me a psychiatrist? Toronto

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2021 10:25 am
Jan 21, 2017
988 posts
339 upvotes

Recommend me a psychiatrist? Toronto

Hey guys, in light of what happened recently, mental health is definitely something we should all look into. That said, I'm personally going through some stuff. Does anyone have a good psychologist or psychiatrist in downtown Toronto?? Would love to check in on my own mental health and work things out.

BTW I'm also surprised we don't have a health section here on RFD. Maybe we should
34 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
DPR2017 wrote: Hey guys, in light of what happened recently, mental health is definitely something we should all look into. That said, I'm personally going through some stuff. Does anyone have a good psychologist or psychiatrist in downtown Toronto?? Would love to check in on my own mental health and work things out.

BTW I'm also surprised we don't have a health section here on RFD. Maybe we should
I don't have any Doctor recommendation's but large props for realizing you need some help and not turn to drugs or alcohol to solve your issues.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Talk to your doctor about getting referred. Usually there's a long wait. If you have health insurance that covers psychology services, that might be something to consider in the interim.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
Why don't you take one course of your choice in psychology at the university level but with no credit? Maybe the title of the course would interest you and actually help you help yourself.

Or you can go visit some psychologist or psychiatrist office and said you just want to take a checklist that they usually give to new patient and just read it yourself.

Or go buy a psychology text book which usually has sample checklist. They may be outdated though.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Poppwl wrote: Why don't you take one course of your choice in psychology at the university level but with no credit? Maybe the title of the course would interest you and actually help you help yourself.

Or you can go visit some psychologist or psychiatrist office and said you just want to take a checklist that they usually give to new patient and just read it yourself.

Or go buy a psychology text book which usually has sample checklist. They may be outdated though.
I take it you've never had a mental health issue, or you wouldn't be recommending OP take a course, buy a textbook, or use a checklist.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
amz155 wrote: I take it you've never had a mental health issue, or you wouldn't be recommending OP take a course, buy a textbook, or use a checklist.
What's wrong with what I have suggested? These stuff are developed by professionals working in the field of psychology.

The OP said the OP want to check on his or her mental health, what's wrong with using a checklist or list of questions that ask you questions like how have you been feeling lately, do you lack energy, do you have no motivation, etc. OP just need to be honest and know how to add and read the answers of the results.

OP is definitely motivated to see how his or her mental health is from the opening post.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
amz155 wrote: I take it you've never had a mental health issue, or you wouldn't be recommending OP take a course, buy a textbook, or use a checklist.
Isn't a checklist at least a positive step in the right direction? I can't speak for OP but some days it's getting so congested in my head that a checklist is probably a good idea. I've walked out of my house without my keys a few times which is probably the least of my worries these days but signalfies that there's a deeper problem at play than just plain forgetfulness.

If OP feels a checklist is beneficial to them, by all means go and explore that option. It is worth a shot.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: Isn't a checklist at least a positive step in the right direction? I can't speak for OP but some days it's getting so congested in my head that a checklist is probably a good idea. I've walked out of my house without my keys a few times which is probably the least of my worries these days but signalfies that there's a deeper problem at play than just plain forgetfulness.

If OP feels a checklist is beneficial to them, by all means go and explore that option. It is worth a shot.
The checklists (and they're brief) are used to screen for anxiety and/or depression. The OP has *already* self identified a need to talk to someone. What do you propose that using a checklist will assist with? In your experience with such checklists, how did they help you after you had already acknowledged/identified the problem?
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
No I misunderstood the context of a checklist used in this case. I was referring to thrbusae of a checklist to facilitate something that may be ambiguous or get the ball rolling as it were.

As I am trying to undertake my own personal journey towards healing I believe a checklist would be helpful. That's all
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
amz155 wrote: The checklists (and they're brief) are used to screen for anxiety and/or depression. The OP has *already* self identified a need to talk to someone. What do you propose that using a checklist will assist with? In your experience with such checklists, how did they help you after you had already acknowledged/identified the problem?
Sometimes people believe they are worse than they really are. Reading a questionnaire/checklist like that may be a reminder that that person is not doing so bad. From there, that person can look for other resources to get themselves into a better mood instead of talking to the wrong people who don't know what to do.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
The family doctor is the first-line access for all of this stuff. Go in, ask for a reference for mental health.
You will get a psychologist reference. Based on the psychologist's assessment, you may get further referred to a psychiatrist.

Psychologists can diagnose conditions but they don't prescribe medications.
Psychiatrists prescribe medications.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Poppwl wrote: Sometimes people believe they are worse than they really are. Reading a questionnaire/checklist like that may be a reminder that that person is not doing so bad. From there, that person can look for other resources to get themselves into a better mood instead of talking to the wrong people who don't know what to do.
This is actually quite awful advice. Most people who have mental health challenges actually think they are better than they are, and are often in denial. They think they can just put themselves in a better mood. It is the fact that they don’t know what to do, they they should go and talk to someone. To get to that realization for some is quite an accomplishment, which OP has already done. To tell them to read a book or take a class without any context is not the right answer.

If someone thought they were physically sick, would you tell them to take a course a junior coarse on their illness? No, you would say, please go to the doctor if you have these symptoms, and let some who knows what they are doing help.

I have close people to me that have had mental health issues. There is a large rise in mental health issues in young people these days. My kid in elementary school can name at least 9kidsthat have come out and told them that there are anxiety or depression issues out of the class of 26. I have very close family members that work in the space of youths mental health, and it’s a growning issues. The advice they have given me is that there are early signs and if I am not sure, to bring my kids in and talk to someone. My tween has gone to see a consellor just to check in to make sure things are okay. Most of it is just hormonal turbulent growing up, but havinan outside neutral perspective to tall to has been great. The counsellor isn’t concerned and says that he wishes all parents did this.

I am not an expert, but I have done a lot of research. What my research has shown me is that many people dont get help until it’s really serious. At that point, its a bigger struggle, and the person has been struggling on their own for too long. Why not talk to someone who knows what the are doing, and have them help you decide if something wrong. If nothing is wrong, then will give some strategies and reassurance. If something is wrong, having that outside view is very helpful.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
Macx2mommy wrote: This is actually quite awful advice. Most people who have mental health challenges actually think they are better than they are, and are often in denial. They think they can just put themselves in a better mood. It is the fact that they don’t know what to do, they they should go and talk to someone. To get to that realization for some is quite an accomplishment, which OP has already done. To tell them to read a book or take a class without any context is not the right answer.

If someone thought they were physically sick, would you tell them to take a course a junior coarse on their illness? No, you would say, please go to the doctor if you have these symptoms, and let some who knows what they are doing help.

I have close people to me that have had mental health issues. There is a large rise in mental health issues in young people these days. My kid in elementary school can name at least 9kidsthat have come out and told them that there are anxiety or depression issues out of the class of 26. I have very close family members that work in the space of youths mental health, and it’s a growning issues. The advice they have given me is that there are early signs and if I am not sure, to bring my kids in and talk to someone. My tween has gone to see a consellor just to check in to make sure things are okay. Most of it is just hormonal turbulent growing up, but havinan outside neutral perspective to tall to has been great. The counsellor isn’t concerned and says that he wishes all parents did this.

I am not an expert, but I have done a lot of research. What my research has shown me is that many people dont get help until it’s really serious. At that point, its a bigger struggle, and the person has been struggling on their own for too long. Why not talk to someone who knows what the are doing, and have them help you decide if something wrong. If nothing is wrong, then will give some strategies and reassurance. If something is wrong, having that outside view is very helpful.
Some who say they need help will be able to find help. The help does not need to be a professional. In fact, sometimes when a professional identify a potential client as 'low risk' ,they may refer them to students and those students are may not be helpful and may make matter worse. How would you feel, if you go seek help and feel like the help is no help at all? Would you keep trying to find professional help. it is really hit and miss.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
Reading a textbook on psychology might be better because it is long and written by many people. You may read a chapter and see statistic gathered for people in similar age group experiencing the same things and feel less alone. You will also learn the different ways "mental health" is perceived. It is also a productive use of time.

The reader will feel like they learned something new. A textbook is a well-vented source, as it should be.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
This might be a downfall of asking medical questions on an open forum, as you need to be careful of the advice given by members without medical training or credentials ⬆. As most others on here suggested seeking advice and recommendation from your own doctor is the best route to go.

The poster who said to self cure using a text book is quite irresponsible and making light of this issue.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Poppwl wrote: Some who say they need help will be able to find help. The help does not need to be a professional. In fact, sometimes when a professional identify a potential client as 'low risk' ,they may refer them to students and those students are may not be helpful and may make matter worse. How would you feel, if you go seek help and feel like the help is no help at all? Would you keep trying to find professional help. it is really hit and miss.
I can assure that that no psychiatrist will refer someone to a student. You do know a psychiatrist must have a medical degree. The closest a person may get to a student is if they are doing the residency. Telling someone looking for a psychiatrist to go to a intro psychology class (they wouldn’t be allowed to go more than intro) would be telling a physically sick person to take a biology class.

Absolutely, if OP or anyone does get the help they need from the first psychiatrist they should go to an other one. If you didn’t get the answer form a dr, and you felt off, would you just give up. Or in your case would you go to a human biology class?

BTW, ‘low risk’ clients does not mean that going to a psychiatrist won’t help them.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
Macx2mommy wrote: I can assure that that no psychiatrist will refer someone to a student. You do know a psychiatrist must have a medical degree. The closest a person may get to a student is if they are doing the residency. Telling someone looking for a psychiatrist to go to a intro psychology class (they wouldn’t be allowed to go more than intro) would be telling a physically sick person to take a biology class.

Absolutely, if OP or anyone does get the help they need from the first psychiatrist they should go to an other one. If you didn’t get the answer form a dr, and you felt off, would you just give up. Or in your case would you go to a human biology class?

BTW, ‘low risk’ clients does not mean that going to a psychiatrist won’t help them.
I'm actually wondering if you actually ever received service from a psychiatrist before, personally. And if you have, your experience may be different than that of others.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Poppwl wrote: I'm actually wondering if you actually ever received service from a psychiatrist before, personally. And if you have, your experience may be different than that of others.
I have been to a psychiatrist and psychologist with family members and close friends. I also have close family members and friends who are both psychiatrist and psychologists. Of course the individual experience is different, otherwise you could just read a book or go to a basic class. However, i have NEVER heard of a psychologist or psychiatrist just telling someone to deal with a grad student - EVER. They may recommend some resources such as classes, workshops, exercises, readings that may be able to help that are SPECIFIC to the issue.

They don’t say ‘you are low risk’, you don’t need help, go talk to a student.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Poppwl wrote: I'm actually wondering if you actually ever received service from a psychiatrist before, personally. And if you have, your experience may be different than that of others.
Do you actually have experience with mental health professionals?

What do you mean by 'low risk'? Risk of what? I can only assume you don't mean self harm because it's ridiculous to assume that all mental health issues are assigned a risk rating for self harm.