Recommend me a psychiatrist? Toronto

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2018 6:28 am
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7170 posts
1437 upvotes
Mississauga
This might be a downfall of asking medical questions on an open forum, as you need to be careful of the advice given by members without medical training or credentials ⬆. As most others on here suggested seeking advice and recommendation from your own doctor is the best route to go.

The poster who said to self cure using a text book is quite irresponsible and making light of this issue.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1322 posts
582 upvotes
Poppwl wrote:
Aug 5th, 2018 3:22 pm
Some who say they need help will be able to find help. The help does not need to be a professional. In fact, sometimes when a professional identify a potential client as 'low risk' ,they may refer them to students and those students are may not be helpful and may make matter worse. How would you feel, if you go seek help and feel like the help is no help at all? Would you keep trying to find professional help. it is really hit and miss.
I can assure that that no psychiatrist will refer someone to a student. You do know a psychiatrist must have a medical degree. The closest a person may get to a student is if they are doing the residency. Telling someone looking for a psychiatrist to go to a intro psychology class (they wouldn’t be allowed to go more than intro) would be telling a physically sick person to take a biology class.

Absolutely, if OP or anyone does get the help they need from the first psychiatrist they should go to an other one. If you didn’t get the answer form a dr, and you felt off, would you just give up. Or in your case would you go to a human biology class?

BTW, ‘low risk’ clients does not mean that going to a psychiatrist won’t help them.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1144 posts
150 upvotes
Markham, ON
Macx2mommy wrote:
Aug 6th, 2018 12:46 am
I can assure that that no psychiatrist will refer someone to a student. You do know a psychiatrist must have a medical degree. The closest a person may get to a student is if they are doing the residency. Telling someone looking for a psychiatrist to go to a intro psychology class (they wouldn’t be allowed to go more than intro) would be telling a physically sick person to take a biology class.

Absolutely, if OP or anyone does get the help they need from the first psychiatrist they should go to an other one. If you didn’t get the answer form a dr, and you felt off, would you just give up. Or in your case would you go to a human biology class?

BTW, ‘low risk’ clients does not mean that going to a psychiatrist won’t help them.
I'm actually wondering if you actually ever received service from a psychiatrist before, personally. And if you have, your experience may be different than that of others.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1322 posts
582 upvotes
Poppwl wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 6:56 pm
I'm actually wondering if you actually ever received service from a psychiatrist before, personally. And if you have, your experience may be different than that of others.
I have been to a psychiatrist and psychologist with family members and close friends. I also have close family members and friends who are both psychiatrist and psychologists. Of course the individual experience is different, otherwise you could just read a book or go to a basic class. However, i have NEVER heard of a psychologist or psychiatrist just telling someone to deal with a grad student - EVER. They may recommend some resources such as classes, workshops, exercises, readings that may be able to help that are SPECIFIC to the issue.

They don’t say ‘you are low risk’, you don’t need help, go talk to a student.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5164 posts
498 upvotes
Poppwl wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 6:56 pm
Do you actually have experience with mental health professionals?

What do you mean by 'low risk'? Risk of what? I can only assume you don't mean self harm because it's ridiculous to assume that all mental health issues are assigned a risk rating for self harm.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10090 posts
1454 upvotes
Toronto
My work benefits covers alot. Includes psychologies, psychiatrist, psycho analyst, and a few others like that. Not sure what is what and when it would be used for. Having 2 young kids, wife busy at work, I can say I probably could have benefited from something, as I found my temper quite short for a time being (pretty sure almost all parents could have benefited).

It's been well publicized recently that even having beers and genuine friends to talk to is a huge benefit for mental health/depression. I agree with that, and am fortunate to have close friends to do that. But sometimes, just talking and having a sounding board is something we can all use. Especially as life progresses, and more challenges emerge. It's also well known that as we age, our mental capacity for dealing with issues become more challenging, hence, much higher suicide rates as we age. So it's not always needed when there's a crisis. Similar to a marriage counsellor. Not necessarily always should go when marriage is about to break down, but to have an impartial, trained voice to help improve certain bumps you're having in life or maybe help see more clearly. Or even talk about certain philosophical issues that are there, but not always easy to talk to a friend in a real way.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1144 posts
150 upvotes
Markham, ON
DPR2017 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2018 9:46 am
Hey guys, in light of what happened recently, mental health is definitely something we should all look into. That said, I'm personally going through some stuff. Does anyone have a good psychologist or psychiatrist in downtown Toronto?? Would love to check in on my own mental health and work things out.

BTW I'm also surprised we don't have a health section here on RFD. Maybe we should
OP, I was just giving my personal opinion to you and you see how others have tried to put down what I have said and questioned me to get more information out of me.

When people disagree with you, they tend to try to get more information out of you because they do not understand. Not once have I commented on others suggestions to you.

Anyhow, i have been wondering what you mean when you said "in light of what happened recently."

I do not want to answer to anyone who has quoted me anymore. I was trying to be helpful to OP. I have no clue how old OP is and what OP is going through.

Self education is a good way of building resiliency was all I was trying to say.
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
521 posts
110 upvotes
coming back to the thread.

re: topic of self education. While I don't disagree that empowering oneself by reading up on content related to mental health is better than doing nothing. I am not sure if it can replace going to a health care professional. similar to have you have cancer, you wouldn't just read a few books and hope all is well. I think that approach while is trying to be helpful, ultimately showcased how our society as a whole - do not view mental health as a serious matter. at least not in the same seriousness as having "real disease" . again Poppawl, not trying to put you down, just sharing my perspective.

Also, if we are talking about cancer, there won't be discussions about high risk or low risk cancer, cancer is cancer. even if it is early stage, you throw the kitchen sink at it with the goal of killing it. when it comes to mental health, it too can manifest and get worse as you go - esp when it's ignored and not treated. so I don't quite agree with the idea that some can be 'low risk' and you can just find a easier way of treating it.

I do have private insurance that covers psychiatric care and will probably do some googling and find some physicians to see.

bottom line, if anyone has signs of depression, anxiety, mood swings, it's important to find a solution, treatment. life has its ups and downs. it's def much easier to deal with it when you have a clearer head :)
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1322 posts
582 upvotes
DPR2017 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 5:45 pm
coming back to the thread.

re: topic of self education. While I don't disagree that empowering oneself by reading up on content related to mental health is better than doing nothing. I am not sure if it can replace going to a health care professional. similar to have you have cancer, you wouldn't just read a few books and hope all is well. I think that approach while is trying to be helpful, ultimately showcased how our society as a whole - do not view mental health as a serious matter. at least not in the same seriousness as having "real disease" . again Poppawl, not trying to put you down, just sharing my perspective.

Also, if we are talking about cancer, there won't be discussions about high risk or low risk cancer, cancer is cancer. even if it is early stage, you throw the kitchen sink at it with the goal of killing it. when it comes to mental health, it too can manifest and get worse as you go - esp when it's ignored and not treated. so I don't quite agree with the idea that some can be 'low risk' and you can just find a easier way of treating it.

I do have private insurance that covers psychiatric care and will probably do some googling and find some physicians to see.

bottom line, if anyone has signs of depression, anxiety, mood swings, it's important to find a solution, treatment. life has its ups and downs. it's def much easier to deal with it when you have a clearer head :)
I can’t answer your actually question for a Toronto referral as I am out west. It sounds like you are trying to be proactive. I suspect that a psychologist is where to start. I would either speak with your doctor for a referral, also does Toronto have a health link or counselling centre referral service?

They can often give you a list of referrals with the specialties.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5164 posts
498 upvotes
Poppwl wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 2:41 am
OP, I was just giving my personal opinion to you and you see how others have tried to put down what I have said and questioned me to get more information out of me.

When people disagree with you,they tend to try to get more information out of you because they do not understand. Not once have I commented on others suggestions to you.

Anyhow, i have been wondering what you mean when you said "in light of what happened recently."

I do not want to answer to anyone who has quoted me anymore. I was trying to be helpful to OP. I have no clue how old OP is and what OP is going through.

Self education is a good way of building resiliency was all I was trying to say.
With all due respect, I think things may have gone over your head. Some of us understand mental health very well. Which is why we don't agree with a suggestion to take a course or read a book about mental health. Anxiety and depression are so nuanced and context dependent. It takes YEARS for professionals to be able to understand and qualify to help people. Suggesting someone take a course or read a book just adds to the already enormous stigma that plagues mental health.
Dec 29, 2012
476 posts
84 upvotes
Scarborough
If you want to see a psychiatrist, you need a doctor's referral. If you just feel like you need counselling for e.g. depression, suicidal tendencies, stress/anxiety, grief, divorce, etc. then you can go and see a psychotherapist without a referral from anyone. Work insurance may/may not cover it. It is about $120-140 for an hour. If you don't find a "fit", then you can just change to another psychotherapist. Psychotherapists are not qualified to prescribe medication, but the wait time could be shorter. Work EAP also provides I think up to 8 hours of free counselling if required.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1144 posts
150 upvotes
Markham, ON
I honestly don't understand why some people on this forum are so against my suggestion of reading books on psychology or attending lectures on psychology. A professional working in the field of mental health had to go somewhere for their knowledge. Why can the OP not read the same materials that those mental health professional might have read? There are many topics in the field of psychology and mental health. Some people tend to think that psychology is ALL about abnormal psychology.

None of us know mental health very well but, hopefully, most of us are in touch with our own mental health.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11972 posts
1742 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I think getting educated about psychology is a great idea. Not only does it help to understand yourself, but other people.
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5164 posts
498 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 1:47 pm
I think getting educated about psychology is a great idea. Not only does it help to understand yourself, but other people.
Diagnosing and treating a psychological issue is, um, a tad more nuanced than just reading books on various psychology topics.
Sep 23, 2018
3 posts
DPR2017 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2018 9:46 am
Hey guys, in light of what happened recently, mental health is definitely something we should all look into. That said, I'm personally going through some stuff. Does anyone have a good psychologist or psychiatrist in downtown Toronto?? Would love to check in on my own mental health and work things out.

BTW I'm also surprised we don't have a health section here on RFD. Maybe we should
Sent via DM