• Feb 21st, 2008 3:14 am
Tags:
None
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
45 upvotes

Recommend a nice budget stroller/pram

We are in the market for a stroller/pram that will be used to push the wee one around the neighbourhood, nothing over the top, just a decent budget one that is good.

Please recommend some too us, am not looking to spend a lot on this.

Cheers
*We are all immigrants here, unless you're Aboriginal of course .....Check your ancestors passport for place of birth if you don't believe me*
43 replies
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
45 upvotes
No new parent or old parent uses a stroller?
*We are all immigrants here, unless you're Aboriginal of course .....Check your ancestors passport for place of birth if you don't believe me*
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9645 posts
911 upvotes
Muskoka
Depends what you're looking for, really. You can get an umbrella stroller for $20 at Walmart that will do the job. If you do some serious walking, though, you'll want bigger/more rugged wheels, sturdier construction, better handles, etc.

We walk quite a bit, in all weather, and have used a Graco travel system stroller with no complaints. It's really taken some hard use, and still works fine 2.5 years in (using for second child now). It's heavy, though, and very bulky, so we also have a cheap umbrella stroller for taking shopping that we leave in the car.
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
45 upvotes
Bullseye...cheers mate. I need something sturdier, not heavy that we can take shopping, foldable to fit into a car without struggling. We walk a lot too, especially in the evening along the trail behind our house.

With this info in hand, I hope someone can recommend something to me, and where to get it.

Cheers
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9645 posts
911 upvotes
Muskoka
Sturdy, light, compact, and able to handle trails (assuming you mean non-paved)? Yeah, a cheapie one probably won't cut it for you.

Maybe a McLaren? Probably cost you a couple hundred, but that would fit the bill.
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
45 upvotes
McLaren happens to be my F1 team, shame my boy Hamilton didn't clinch the title. Anyhoo...yes those are my pre-requisites for the stroller. Any idea where to get this?
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2006
1594 posts
399 upvotes
Ottawa
walmart is selling two different safety 1st travel systems (stroller + car seat) each for $150 clearance. i live in NS, but i think walmart offers are nationwide. Am looking for a deal on cribs, have you seen any ?
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
45 upvotes
The crib we are getting is from toys r us, and it's $250. I don't need a car seat, we have 2 now, 1 ( eddie bauer 3-in-1 ) of which I won at a pre-natal seminar.

sumguy12004 wrote: walmart is selling two different safety 1st travel systems (stroller + car seat) each for $150 clearance. i live in NS, but i think walmart offers are nationwide. Am looking for a deal on cribs, have you seen any ?
May 8, 2006
70 posts
1 upvote
I love my Peg Perego car seat/stroller set because it's light compared to a lot of other brands and very compact. Unfortunately for you it's also quite pricey. If you just want a stroller try craigslist and kijiji. I always see strollers posted for sale on those forums and you can always negotiate the price.

Good luck.
Jun 3, 2005
556 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
hey glas,

if you want new, we got the Maclaren Quest from an ebay store here:

http://stores.ebay.ca/MAXOTY

even after their crazy shipping price, it was still $100 less than here in Canada and we got the colour we wanted (not available in Canada)

The triumph model is a bit lighter so you might want to consider that one.

cheers
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
45 upvotes
After looking at the pics in the link above, am leaning towards the peg perego ones. They look a lot sturdier and they have storage underneath the stroller, which comes in handy.

Now anyone know where to get a single one in the GTA for similar ebay price?
Nov 29, 2006
94 posts
3 upvotes
I bought a Peg Perego Uno beginning of Dec (because they were clearing out 2007 inventory). You may still be able to find lots of deals around town for a P3 Classico (if you are on a budget) or one step above which is the UNO model. You can also get floor model deals as well. You can go on to Peg Perego website and look for all the stores in Ontario and you may want to call around.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1590 posts
91 upvotes
Maple
Check out the FirstWheels City Elite... it's what we got, and many of our friends too. It's been great so far, and is not too heavy, and fits easily in the back of the SUV.

This is just one link I found: http://www.macklems.com/firstwheels.htm

There's an ebay guy that sells them for cheap (babycribs1 I think?) - he's where we got ours from. We haven't used the bassinet part a lot, but I guess it's there if you need it. If not, you can get them without it too for ~$100 cheaper.

Good luck!
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
45 upvotes
I like those. How much are the strollers and I couldn't find the seller on ebay?

spdztr wrote: Check out the FirstWheels City Elite... it's what we got, and many of our friends too. It's been great so far, and is not too heavy, and fits easily in the back of the SUV.

This is just one link I found: http://www.macklems.com/firstwheels.htm

There's an ebay guy that sells them for cheap (babycribs1 I think?) - he's where we got ours from. We haven't used the bassinet part a lot, but I guess it's there if you need it. If not, you can get them without it too for ~$100 cheaper.

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1590 posts
91 upvotes
Maple
glaswegian wrote: I like those. How much are the strollers and I couldn't find the seller on ebay?

Try this link: http://stores.ebay.com/BABY-CRIBS_W0QQc ... idZ2QQtZkm

I don't have access to ebay at work, so I don't know if it will work or not, but his username is babycribs1. He has a store on Dundas in Missisauga (he was mentioned in the other threads where you were asking about cribs).

The stroller is ~$500 IIRC.

There is another thread that was just started where someone asked about these.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
2619 posts
49 upvotes
chompers wrote: I bought a Peg Perego Uno beginning of Dec (because they were clearing out 2007 inventory). You may still be able to find lots of deals around town for a P3 Classico (if you are on a budget) or one step above which is the UNO model. You can also get floor model deals as well. You can go on to Peg Perego website and look for all the stores in Ontario and you may want to call around.
We also picked up a previous year's model (which makes me laugh, like anyone would know the diff :) ) Anyway, 2 grown kids later and ALOT of mileage put on our Peg Shopper thru all kinds of terrain, I would definitely recommend. Only had trouble with one wheel, which we took to be fixed (link below) It's now folded up in the rafters waiting for grandkid visits in the future. I think we paid $350 12 years ago which I thought was an huge amount for a stroller but it was worth it for sure. I know people that went thru a couple of them before finally buying a Peg because the others broke. Here's where I got mine:

http://www.kiddiesworld.ca/index.htm

fixed at

http://www.macklems.com/about.htm

Good luck!
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
45 upvotes
I hate sites that can't be bothered to list their prices > :(
Jun 24, 2003
398 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I just got the Peg-perego Uno (Orange) last nite at Babies r us for $369 (Reg $498) and my wife love it since its light/ looks nice. Mind you may still see the price tag for $498 however when they scan it , it show up $369. plus if you are looking for the UNO model i think they only have like 7 left in ontario.

i think u better checking out babies r us now since they are clean out some 2007 model.