Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5823 posts
499 upvotes
London

Recommend a wind phone?

Can anyone recommend a good phone at wind, sub 500 for wind tab +. I need it to do a good job as a hot spot at home owithmultiple devices. Also talking on it as a home phone, and maybe some other Internet stuff. Would the nexus 4 be a good option (if its available there, I didn't see it). Thanks!
14 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2516 posts
91 upvotes
redgrandam wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 4:58 pm
Can anyone recommend a good phone at wind, sub 500 for wind tab +. I need it to do a good job as a hot spot at home owithmultiple devices. Also talking on it as a home phone, and maybe some other Internet stuff. Would the nexus 4 be a good option (if its available there, I didn't see it). Thanks!
With that budget a Nexus 4 is easily the best choice. Get it from Google for less and skip the contract. Though its not available at this exact moment so you will have to wait a bit.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1280 posts
87 upvotes
I would recommend something pentaband so that you can switch freely among carriers in the future.

I've never tested the range of the wifi hot spot, but I would imagine it's not as good as a proper dedicated router. Might work if you are living alone in a 1-bdrm, but not sure about in a larger house.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
2682 posts
222 upvotes
GTA
I've been through three carriers in the past 1-2 years and all with the same phone (i.e Galaxy Nexus). It's nice to have an unlocked, pentaband phone like the Nexus series.

The Nexus 4 is definitely a good choice
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5823 posts
499 upvotes
London
Thanks guys. I didn't realize the nexus 4 might not be available again till jan?? If that's the case, is there another equally good option? I honk the note II might be a little large to talk on like a regular phone.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2516 posts
91 upvotes
GS3 then is best, or Galaxy Nexus, depending on how you value stock Android.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2006
1359 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver
redgrandam wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 5:41 pm
Thanks guys. I didn't realize the nexus 4 might not be available again till jan?? If that's the case, is there another equally good option? I honk the note II might be a little large to talk on like a regular phone.
If that's too big then go with the Samsung SIII it's fairly similar to the Note II

In fact I am thinking of moving to Wind myself just for the cheaper plan and the Note II. Fido doesn't have any good phones and the plans are much more expensive.

Been testing out a Note II from Wind through a friends. Borrowed his phone for the day and went around my city. Most areas were pretty good and I am quite impressed. Only 1 area did not work, which was my university campus. Other than that it works absolutely great.

I'd reccommend the SIII
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5823 posts
499 upvotes
London
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll be checking them out in store.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2008
4506 posts
707 upvotes
Whitby
Wind has poor penetration into buildings so be sure to get whichever phone has the best reception. Can't see using Wind to replace a home phone, even in zones with strong coverage I doubt Wind would work in all areas of a home. Test thoroughly and return the phone immediately if not satisfied, try Wind in grocery stores, hockey arenas where Speakout -Petro Can has reception.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
3814 posts
166 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Wait for BB10 at the end of January
× < >