Recommendation for compact SUV with the best tech

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2018 11:02 am
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
HanY59086 wrote: Many people recommended me japanese brands like Honda HRV, Toyota Rav4, Lexus NX but I don't like them because they don't even support
Android Auto/Apple Carplay which I think a shame..(Again, i'm a CS major geek)
The Honda HR-V is a sub-compact SUV.
The 2019 model year HR-V is getting Android Auto/Apple Carplay and Honda Sensing on most trims.

2019 Honda HR-V: Comfort & Technology Video
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5348 posts
4356 upvotes
CloudReader wrote: Most car brands will offer the same amount of tech as options -including auto cruise control, frontal collision warning, etc... for 50K tax included you won't be getting 360 deg camera or things like parking sensors -those are pretty much luxury brand exclusives.
Rogue top trim has all of those, around 40k.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
8405 posts
4690 upvotes
NewsyL wrote: If the OP wants to buy domestic, made in Canada (support them Ontario jobs), with tech that actually works, look to the 2019 Chev Equinox just being introduced. I test drove the 2018 Premier AWD version with the 2.0L turbo 4 and 9 speed auto. Good 0-60, very driveable, smooth shifting, good brakes - not too dissimilar from the 2019 RDX I bought. Lots of room in back with a huge amount of storage underfloor to hide those laptop cases out of sight. The AWD system is not as effective as those found in Subaru's, Acura's SH-AWD, or Hyundai & Kia's new system.

I'm in the tech industry myself and can tell you the Chev Android Auto system worked flawlessly with my 7.1 phone and that system is more responsive than several other infotainment systems out there. The 2019 also has Adaptive Cruise Control which the 2018 lacked. The stereo sounds OK if you are non-audio person but is not up to the system in the RDX. The RDX is nice, but atm the Android side of life is piss poor, quite frustratingly at times.

Premier also gives you all the active/passive safety systems including the overhead 360 view which the lower trims lack.

You should be able to negotiate to around $42-44K before taxes.

Or get the Premier with the more fuel efficient 1.5L Turbo and save a few $$$.

Chevy tech is nice, but the rear pillar on the Equinox really bothers me - it's huge and makes it very difficult to see.

The nightmare was making a left turn from the Lake Louise overflow parking lot onto the highway, I managed to cross the first half of the highway, but was unable to see as I merged into the left lane of the highway... and don't tell me that a blind spot sensor would help me at 0km/h vs. cars passing at 130km/h.

https://www.cars.com/articles/does-the- ... 694684741/
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5264 posts
2270 upvotes
Vancouver
SoroSuub1 wrote: Chevy tech is nice, but the rear pillar on the Equinox really bothers me - it's huge and makes it very difficult to see.
True. Similar in the RDX and several others in this class.

The only compact SUV I've driven that I found had excellent sight lines was the Subaru Outback and that is really a wagon more than a SUV. The CRV is not too bad but not a whole lot better than the Equinox and the Rogue.... well, I never drove the Rogue because I wanted a car that has some zoom zoom and it's CVT continues to have the stigma of the issues from a couple of years ago. The KIA Sorento is better than the Equinox or RDX for outward vision to the right rear but it is a mid-size SUV and the only KIA Sorento with all the safety systems is the top trim which is well above the OP's budget range.

The Subaru Outback in Limited with Eyesight trim is well within the OP's budget, has all the safety systems, Subaru's excellent AWD system, top notch headlights and top IIIHS safety ratings. The sound system in the Limited and Premier trims is quite good too - better than the Equinox. The Infotainment system has been reworked and is more responsive than the one found in Honda CRV's and has both Android Auto and Apple Carplay. With the 6cyl you have passing power at the sacrifice of fuel economy and with the 4cyl you have fuel economy at the sacrifice of zoom zoom. It's a comfortable car to drive - higher than a standard auto but lower than the CRV and KIA Sorento.

I never drove the Subaru Crosstrek so I have no idea what its' outward visibilty is like.

Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
3135 posts
1308 upvotes
SoroSuub1 wrote: Chevy tech is nice, but the rear pillar on the Equinox really bothers me - it's huge and makes it very difficult to see.
Yeah.
Can't imagine it's that bad.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
We're liking the 2019 Forrester Sport.
Sep 20, 2018
3 posts
vkizzle wrote: We're liking the 2019 Forrester Sport.
Did you get any quote from any dealer. I am looking for Forester Limited w/Eyesight.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
TheRaichand wrote: Did you get any quote from any dealer. I am looking for Forester Limited w/Eyesight.
Not yet, but did get the Uhaggle invoice price.

2019 Subaru Forester Sport w/ EyeSight
Base MSRP: $34,995
Invoice Price: $31,838
Sep 20, 2018
3 posts
vkizzle wrote: Not yet, but did get the Uhaggle invoice price.

2019 Subaru Forester Sport w/ EyeSight
Base MSRP: $34,995
Invoice Price: $31,838
Ok.. their lease/finance %% are high though.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
TheRaichand wrote: Ok.. their lease/finance %% are high though.
I will likely sell one of my current SUVs and buy it in cash.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7777 posts
948 upvotes
Toronto
2019 CX5 gets some nice upgrades.. finally AA and Apple Carplay, newer G-Vector control version, and on the GT Trim.... turbo motor, Sirius XM Traffic link, ventilated front seats.

https://imgur.com/a/6PICI6j
Sep 20, 2018
3 posts
If someone recently got lease deals for any of the following cars, kindly help with the monthly lease numbers for 36 months/24000 kms, so that we can get a reference while negotiating
a. CR-V Touring
b. Forester 2019 Limited w/eyesight
c. Tiguan Highline
Aug 16, 2013
624 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
Same needs and same sorta vehicles. I am looking as well.
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
679 upvotes
Anikiri wrote: The new VW Tiguan has all the things you want, and it *can* seat up to 7
It's not a compact and the interior is terrible
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6155 posts
10805 upvotes
Canada
frogger wrote: 2019 CX5 gets some nice upgrades.. finally AA and Apple Carplay, newer G-Vector control version, and on the GT Trim.... turbo motor, Sirius XM Traffic link, ventilated front seats.

https://imgur.com/a/6PICI6j
Sounds like interior upgrades will be similar to Mazda 6. I'd say a CX-5 Signature will be a luxury CUV for many thousands less.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7777 posts
948 upvotes
Toronto
Blubbs wrote: Sounds like interior upgrades will be similar to Mazda 6. I'd say a CX-5 Signature will be a luxury CUV for many thousands less.
You could probably choose between a CX-5 Signature and a larger decently equipped midsize at the price point it will be (around 42 grand I'm assuming).
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
3135 posts
1308 upvotes
Blubbs wrote: Sounds like interior upgrades will be similar to Mazda 6. I'd say a CX-5 Signature will be a luxury CUV for many thousands less.
What that misses:
badge
power

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)