Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2005
5564 posts
73 upvotes

Recommendation of GOOD P&S Camera $300-400

Hello, I am sick of my digital camera not producing quality pictures when needed. I am looking for my first Digital SLR, a real basic one that has a good zoom, (the zoom on our Pentax Optio S6 (old i know) gets blurrier the further we zoom). I don' want something that is hard core, I am using money from my own pocket (summer job) something around $300 - 400 price range.

Thanks!

Edit : How is the Sony DSC-H3B??? Anyone?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1588 posts
107 upvotes
ben_liu wrote:
Jun 21st, 2008 7:22 pm
Hello, I am sick of my digital camera not producing quality pictures when needed. I am looking for my first Digital SLR, a real basic one that has a good zoom, (the zoom on our Pentax Optio S6 (old i know) gets blurrier the further we zoom). I don' want something that is hard core, I am using money from my own pocket (summer job) something around $300 - 400 price range.

Thanks!
Sounds like you are only concerned with zoom and ease of use. Why not get a S5 or another ultra zoom point and shoot instead. Fuji and Panasonic also make 12x zoom cameras.
Oh just checked Henry's did have the S5 on sale for 329, now just Aden Camera has it whereever they are.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12046 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
ben_liu wrote:
Jun 21st, 2008 7:22 pm
(the zoom on our Pentax Optio S6 (old i know) gets blurrier the further we zoom)
Judging from that statement alone, it kinda sounds more like technique rather than the camera. Do you know how to focus?
Deal with it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2005
5564 posts
73 upvotes
Complete noob right here. I don't even know what Macro is...
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4948 posts
938 upvotes
Thornhill
ben_liu wrote:
Jun 21st, 2008 9:46 pm
Complete noob right here. I don't even know what Macro is...
lol, then you will buy a dslr and will sell it a few months later.
Why buy a heavy brick that you can't use.
Spend $300-400 and get a very good point and shoot camera. Anything over $250 that came 2007 or later is pretty good these days,as long as you go with brand names such as Sony,Panasonic,Nikon,Canon. Avoid brands like HP,which are not in the market of cameras and just there for a ride...
I have a simple dslr and know how to use it,but 90% of the time use my gf's PS camera,since it's much smaller and less headache and VERY easy to use.

A lot of people buy cheap,crappy cameras and then wonder why their pictures are so crappy... You get what you paid for...that's why!!
Try Canon SD890IS or Any of Panasonic Lumix. You'll see why those are one of the best.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3123 posts
107 upvotes
Mississauga
Get a good quality point and shoot if you're not going to explore the world of photography. If you're just going to use a camera to take pictures for memories of events, gatherings and such, a DSLR most likely isn't the camera you may be looking for. Instead like others have stated, invest into a really good P&S camera instead. I still have and love my Canon Powershot S3 even though I've moved up to a DSLR. The Canon Powershot S5 is dropping in price and is a very good camera with 12x optical zoom. A little bigger than most P&S cameras but uses 4 AA batteries which is a plus. You don't have to invest in a proprietary battery for extra power when on the road. You can also buy a telephoto zoom adapter to add another 1.5x (?) zoom which takes it up to 16x total I believe. Lots of accessories are also available and it generally sits between the P&S and DSLR spectrum. Hope this helps.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2005
5564 posts
73 upvotes
How is the Sony DSC-H3B ? Are there any other cameras alike with better quality and around the same price?
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
2510 posts
170 upvotes
ben_liu wrote:
Jun 24th, 2008 7:29 pm
How is the Sony DSC-H3B ? Are there any other cameras alike with better quality and around the same price?
Canon G9 is probably the best out there!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2005
5564 posts
73 upvotes
Looks awesome, but $500 + price tag... > :(
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12046 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
I see you've changed the topic title. Do not fall into the trap of thinking that more megapixels is better. Requiring more than 8mp is ignorant, at best.
Deal with it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2005
5564 posts
73 upvotes
Oh, that's what I thought, more mega pixel = better quality. Guess not. That is why I am asking all the photo fanatics here for recommendations. But my Pentax S6 is definitely not producing moment capturing pictures!
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12046 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
ben_liu wrote:
Jun 24th, 2008 8:51 pm
But my Pentax S6 is definitely not producing moment capturing pictures!
Possibly because you don't know how to use it properly. Do you?
Deal with it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5973 posts
409 upvotes
BC
i've got a canon A650is. its got full manual controls, and the same lens and sensor as the G9, but at a cheaper price.

it runs on 4xAA batteries, has a flip out LCD, and the IS is a great feature.
i tried the S5 also, but like the shape and feel of this camera better, and the picture quality is amazing.
the S5 is a bit cheaper, but i'm really happy that i went for the A650.

i'm kinda a noob in using more than auto, but i'm having a lot of fun getting to know the manual controls of this camera.

good luck in whatever you decide on :)
That's my 2cents worth
Apr 30, 2007
621 posts
39 upvotes
Dell has A650 IS for $300 a few times before, even cheaper than S5 IS. A650 IS uses bigger 1/1.8" sensor.