None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
2484 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto

Recommendation on a good pocket camcorder

Hey guys. So I saw the flip cams and was wondering if they were any good quality wise? Looking for respectable quality to do some videos here and there. Or should I just spend the extra dough on an actual camcorder? I'm more of a casual video editor but want the quality to be somewhat professional. Thanks!
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5854 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
Forget the flip now.

Get the GoPro HD.

It's super tiny, does full HD, and the quality is better than the competition according to the samples.
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
2484 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
kay188 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2010 3:08 pm
Forget the flip now.

Get the GoPro HD.

It's super tiny, does full HD, and the quality is better than the competition according to the samples.
Where can I get this? I did a search and couldn't find in Canada. Have you had experiences with this?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
RadioWorld

4335 Steeles Avenue West

online a few ski shops.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. :idea:
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2004
3536 posts
Moose Jaw, SK
I bought a SANYO Xacti VPC-CA9 recently and love it. "Only" does 720P but it's waterproof to 5 feet and it has 5x optical zoom which is a feature sorely lacking on these pocket camcorders. Was fairly expensive relative to the non-oi zoom pocket cams but well worth it imho. I bought mine from newegg.ca during boxing week sale for $279.99 plus $4 shipping but used a paypal rebate and got $48 back a week later.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1238 posts
17 upvotes
kay188 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2010 3:08 pm
Forget the flip now.

Get the GoPro HD.

It doesn't seem like you can use it as a regular camera/camcorder.

Can a regular consumer use it? Or is it mainly for athletes?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2772 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
The flip is crap now.
Kodak Zi8 is what you want.
SD Card, user replaceable battery, autofocus, macro focus, awesome internal mic, Mic Input. $179.99
Did I mention 1080p @ 30fps and 720p @ 60fps?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1238 posts
17 upvotes
legendofxix wrote:
Feb 4th, 2010 2:35 am
The flip is crap now.
Kodak Zi8 is what you want.
SD Card, user replaceable battery, autofocus, macro focus, awesome internal mic, Mic Input. $179.99
Did I mention 1080p @ 30fps and 720p @ 60fps?
Looks very sleek, affordable, and the specs seem pretty good. However, I worry about the recording portion of it since it is such a small camcorder, wouldn't it get shaky?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5854 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
cuongp wrote:
Feb 4th, 2010 1:57 am
It doesn't seem like you can use it as a regular camera/camcorder.

Can a regular consumer use it? Or is it mainly for athletes?

Of course a regular consumer can use it, and be used as a regular camcorder. It's what it is in the first place. A video recording device that's extra small and can do 1080p.
It's not for athletes only. Though they use it because it has accessories that are suited for sports use, like a waterproof case, and suction cup tripod to stick it onto a surf board, or helmet.
I would get one for myself to have a tiny pocket camcorder than a larger digital camera, but to me, I can't justify paying for it because i'm saving up for more DSLR gear. :D

Here's a video where this guy uses it for his car and his 30k watt, 4 18", system in his car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSYwCN6BKM0

I don't like the Kodak Zi8.
Terrible indoor performance where IMO the Flip is better.
It's not crap. Just the kodak does 1080, and the Flip is only 720, so you can't compare video quality.
Audio on the flip is better than the Zi8.

All IMO of course.
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2007
4277 posts
71 upvotes
Winnipeg
what's the return policy on these? I would try a couple out and return the ones you don't like. I'm looking at one myself..
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
My Flickr