• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2018 2:06 pm
[OP]
May 16, 2015
23 posts
2 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON

Recommendation for Men's dress watch

I am in the market for a men's dress watch for under $1,000. I like something thin and minimalist with clean look. Looking for a case diameter around 38MM. I am not interested in Chinese mass produced designer watches such as Daniel Wellington, MVMT Or Michael Kors etc. But looking for companies that has been around for long time with heritage such as Seiko, Tissot, Hamilton, Orient, Timex, Citizen etc. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by RSQUAREDK on Jan 12th, 2018 11:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
16 replies
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
10049 posts
4818 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mebiuspower wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:41 am
Daniel Wellington
Lol

Look at Seiko OP.
[OP]
May 16, 2015
23 posts
2 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
mebiuspower wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:41 am
Daniel Wellington
Sorry I am not interested in Chinese mass produced designer watches such as Daniel Wellington, MVMT Or Michael Kors etc. But looking for companies that has been around for long time with heritage such as Seiko, Tissot etc.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7806 posts
1209 upvotes
Toronto
Tissot Visodate
Tissot Le Loche
Hamilton Intramatic
Seiko SARB033 / 035

You can't go wrong with any of those.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1454 posts
310 upvotes
Toronto
appleb wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:45 pm
Tissot Visodate
Tissot Le Loche
Hamilton Intramatic
Seiko SARB033 / 035

You can't go wrong with any of those.
All good.
However, the Visodate may be a bit large at 40mm.
Otherwise, you could also throw in the SARB065 which is 40mm.
Sep 4, 2007
565 posts
150 upvotes
blindemboss wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:15 pm
All good.
However, the Visodate may be a bit large at 40mm.
Otherwise, you could also throw in the SARB065 which is 40mm.
The Visodate would be my first choice of the bunch. It wears smaller than 40mm because of the shape of the case. That's the only reason I still don't own one. It's a beautiful, clean design.
Dec 25, 2017
67 posts
78 upvotes
If you are into used market. There’s old tudor date or day date pops up every now and then. With Rolex signed case. Those are good stuff, can be had for around your budget
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4392 posts
433 upvotes
Markham
Eugene911 wrote: If you are into used market. There’s old tudor date or day date pops up every now and then. With Rolex signed case. Those are good stuff, can be had for around your budget
Where to find
Dec 25, 2017
67 posts
78 upvotes
smartie wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 10:22 pm
Where to find
Wus, WatchRecon, just do some homework, and you’ll find some good stuff
Feb 13, 2014
183 posts
58 upvotes
Ottawa
Max Bill by Junghans... the 38mm automatic would check all of your boxes. Put it on a shell cordovan strap and it is a darned near perfect watch.

I adore mine and wear it often.
Mar 6, 2014
420 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
I'm going to be the devil's advocate here and make an argument here that you should look for a used entry level Rolex, Omega or Breitling from a reputable dealer.

You'll have to pay a little more but if you are not an obsessed watch collector, you'll only need to have one nice watch in your entire lifetime.

You see, from a functionality perspective, nobody really need a watch above a $100 Timex or Citizen. Timex for example, makes some very sexy timepieces that would fit even the most formal occasions. My personal favorite is the Weekender Chrono 40mm which can be had for about $100.

https://www.timex.com/browse/men/watches/shop-all/

If you think a mass produced watch is no good, then maybe you are looking for more than functionality. If you are looking for brand and prestige, then you'll need to look at the top tier watchmakers. It's very difficult to impress a watch enthusiast with anything that's not either rare or expensive, while people who don't care about watches probably don't care if you are wearing a Timex or a Hublot.

In the end, buy whatever you like, because you won't impress anyone who are into watches for $1000 and you shouldn't try anyways. If you are looking for quality and service, I would argue that you should pay up. More likely than not, if you buy a sub-$1000 watch today, in about 15 to 20 years, you'll be looking for another watch. My dad got a Rolex Submariner in the 70's and he has been wearing it everyday for 40 years now.
Last edited by Statistics101 on Jan 14th, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.