Computers & Electronics

Recommendation ~ mPCIe to USB adapter ...

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2017 11:46 am
[OP]
Apr 29, 2010
798 posts
32 upvotes
London

Recommendation ~ mPCIe to USB adapter ...

I own a Sierra MC7455 modem meant for my router. It's form factor is mPCIe. Unfortunately pulling the module and inserting into my laptop is useless -- the Windows 7 laptop doesnt see the module. I'm trying to make some changes to the module via my laptop. My guess for the module not being seen is because it wants to be connected via USB.

What is the appropriate mPCIe to USB adapter for this? I've seen many mPCIe mSATA to USB adaptors but i'm concerned with the mention of mSATA the adaption will fail for this Sierra modem module once attached.

Thanks for the details.
4 replies
Oct 6, 2015
518 posts
256 upvotes
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-PC ... 82970.html

Should work. Although are you sure you can't configure it on your router? There should be some way of doing it.

Does your laptop have the 3G/4G antennas? One problem with the Sierra Wireless drivers, under Windows 10, is that they don't 'expose' a proper Serial port that you can enter AT commands into. However, if you install the drivers on a Windows 7 setup, it will work. I have a Sierra Wireless MC7700 which I can only seem to configure, by way of a serial console and AT commands, on Windows 7 (can't configure it on Windows 10, although it works great under Windows 10 for 4G LTE WWAN, as well as GPS!).

Obviously you need to stay away from the stuff that claims mSATA. Basically what you need is a straight electrical connection from the USB pins, directly to the USB port. If the adapter has a chip on it, its probably not the right sort of adapter. Pretty sure that the one I reference above will work. Let me know.
the Windows 7 laptop doesnt see the module.
Have you installed the Sierra Wireless drivers? IIRC, it doesn't just see it "out of the box". You have to install the Gobi driver set.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10171 posts
607 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I don't think getting a USB adapter will do anything. Mini PCIe swing both ways, PCIe or USB :) .

From Wikipedia: The host device supports both PCI Express and USB 2.0 connectivity, and each card may use either standard.

My Gobi 2000 Mini PCIe card shows up in Windows Device Manager as:
Modems section: Qualcomm Gobi 2000 HS-USB Modem 9205
USB Controllers section: Qualcomm Gobi 2000 USB Composite Device 9205

Also note that some stinky notebook manufacturers include a whitelist in the BIOS, so it will only work with specific cards.
Oct 6, 2015
518 posts
256 upvotes
rabbit wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 2:18 am
I don't think getting a USB adapter will do anything. Mini PCIe swing both ways, PCIe or USB :) .
If you read the spec sheet, the MC-series modems from Sierra Wireless are USB devices, using USB pins on the miniPCI-E card connector. Not sure if they use a tristate drivers, or if its separate pins. I'd have to look at the miniPCI-E slot spec.
My Gobi 2000 Mini PCIe card shows up in Windows Device Manager as:
Modems section: Qualcomm Gobi 2000 HS-USB Modem 9205
USB Controllers section: Qualcomm Gobi 2000 USB Composite Device 9205
Yeah just a USB device. The MC7xxx is also based on Gobi chipsets. They're all USB-interfaced.

Also note that some stinky notebook manufacturers include a whitelist in the BIOS, so it will only work with specific cards.
Good point! I think that's Lenovo and HP that does that. I know Dell doesn't.
Aug 3, 2010
232 posts
13 upvotes
rabbit wrote: Also note that some stinky notebook manufacturers include a whitelist in the BIOS, so it will only work with specific cards.
burnt69 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 3:15 am
Good point! I think that's Lenovo and HP that does that. I know Dell doesn't.
Toshiba does that too (not sure if they've changed their tune in recent times though). And i can confirm HP defintiely still does that. Yuck!