• Apr 13th, 2014 1:14 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes

Recommendation for payment processor/merchant account

I need a recommendation on who to use to accept online payments for a new business.
The one I've used in the past is from the UK, so I'd like to start fresh with a more known company in Canada or US.
Been over a decade since I've had to deal with this, and I have no idea, outside of Paypal, who to use. I have no clue where to even start looking.
And is it hard to get approved for a new company with no history?
I'll be selling physical products that need to be shipped.
**Edit. I'm setting up my store with Shopify. Am I cluess and they take care of everything?
**Edit2. Looks like shopify does accept payments, that might be easiest to do.
10 replies
Jul 10, 2005
763 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
Paypal can act as a regular card processor. Look into their Payflow service. Very competitively priced.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes
dani_toronto wrote: Paypal can act as a regular card processor. Look into their Payflow service. Very competitively priced.
Can you make it look like they aren't involved at all? I mean like no logo or anything?
Jul 10, 2005
763 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
baz5 wrote: Can you make it look like they aren't involved at all? I mean like no logo or anything?
Yes.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2712 posts
678 upvotes
Burlington
#anyonebutmonaris
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes
What's the difference between Payments Pro and Payflow Pro?
Nevermind, payflow you still need your own merchant account, Payments Pro is a merchant account built in.
It is similar priced as shopify, I'd probably just use them and keep it all together.
Thanks for the help.
Dec 2, 2008
828 posts
343 upvotes
Despite rudeness elsewhere... I'll recommend a couple. If you looking for stability and credibility in Canada you could go with one of the big banks/beanstream though they can be pricey with the ongoing fees and rates tend to not be as competitive.

Or you go with someone like Elavon (through Costco)... I believe they are based out of the US though they certainly service Canadian clients.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes
Where was I rude? I asked what youd id for a living.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2979 posts
264 upvotes
Burlington
I've been contemplating changing around my stuff. Gota talk with my book keeper next she's in to see if I calculated this wrong but given all the odd/extra fees and the crap with premium cards (and most of my processing is done without card in hand) it almost looked like I was paying $0.032/per dollar which is pretty rough I think. They offer decent options but the paypal invoicing system (without requiring a shopping cart) is extremely attractive for my purpose.

Was browsing ideas with Elavon or Paypal at this point. Need an option as mentioned above with invoicing and having access to a mobile option is handy a few times a year for events.
Jan 2, 2014
40 posts
9 upvotes
Gatineau
Just switched from moneris to elavon and we're saving about 700/month on commissions.