• Dec 9th, 2018 1:43 pm
[OP]
Jul 3, 2008
507 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto

recommendation for a structural engineer to identify load bearing walls

Hi all -

I have was given some tips on which wall in my house is load bearing, but my floor plan is a little off centre on some areas and i'm trying to figure out a floor plan that would work, ideally only touching non-load bearing walls. I'm wondering if any one can recommend an engineer or help take a look at the floor plan? Thank you!
6 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1794 posts
1120 upvotes
Are you doing the work yourself or a contractor? The contractor can assist. If you don't move anything structural, you should be able to avoid the engineer altogether. If you plan on doing the work yourself, then I say good luck to you as it will get much more difficult then identifying load bearing walls.
[OP]
Jul 3, 2008
507 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
fusion2k2k wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 9:43 am
Are you doing the work yourself or a contractor? The contractor can assist. If you don't move anything structural, you should be able to avoid the engineer altogether. If you plan on doing the work yourself, then I say good luck to you as it will get much more difficult then identifying load bearing walls.
Thanks. I intend to remove non-load bearing walls only, or at most, remove small portion of a load bearing wall to create an opening. Hence I'm trying to come up with a floor plan that would work given these constraints. If anyone knows a good GC that works in downtown Toronto, happy to speak to them and give more details on the project!
Nov 2, 2018
110 posts
44 upvotes
I'm looking for the exact same thing right now......following....
Sep 26, 2016
8 posts
4 upvotes
We used Zorkin Engineering this summer for drawings, and it worked out pretty well. Price did not seem high, and the drawings were detailed enough to forgo hiring a GC. Instead hired a framer/carpenter for a day to get the beam in place, and did the rest ourselves.
[OP]
Jul 3, 2008
507 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
funkutel wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 1:07 pm
We used Zorkin Engineering this summer for drawings, and it worked out pretty well. Price did not seem high, and the drawings were detailed enough to forgo hiring a GC. Instead hired a framer/carpenter for a day to get the beam in place, and did the rest ourselves.
Hi - thanks for the reply. Is my understanding of the process correct?
1) get engineering drawings/consulting
2) apply for permit for load bearing wall removal
3) find contractor to do this, or find a framer/carpenter to remove wall
4) fixed up wall with drywall yourself
5) close the city inspection

Can you recommend the framer/carpenter you used? I also need to frame a few doors in my house better as well. Thanks :)
Sep 26, 2016
8 posts
4 upvotes
I would add:
- After 2: get the demolition done - get the bin, protect the flooring, tear down plaster/drywall, remove all electrical and HVAC, parts of ceiling as needed. Ceiling is a big question mark, might have to tear it all down.
- After 3: pass framing inspection
- After 4: put new floor where the walls used to be. Not a trivial task, we had to re-floor half the room
firefly767 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 1:13 pm
Hi - thanks for the reply. Is my understanding of the process correct?
1) get engineering drawings/consulting
2) apply for permit for load bearing wall removal
3) find contractor to do this, or find a framer/carpenter to remove wall
4) fixed up wall with drywall yourself
5) close the city inspection

Can you recommend the framer/carpenter you used? I also need to frame a few doors in my house better as well. Thanks :)