• Dec 9th, 2018 1:43 pm
[OP]
Jul 3, 2008
501 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto

recommendation for a structural engineer to identify load bearing walls

Hi all -

I have was given some tips on which wall in my house is load bearing, but my floor plan is a little off centre on some areas and i'm trying to figure out a floor plan that would work, ideally only touching non-load bearing walls. I'm wondering if any one can recommend an engineer or help take a look at the floor plan? Thank you!
6 replies
Apr 6, 2008
890 posts
434 upvotes
Are you doing the work yourself or a contractor? The contractor can assist. If you don't move anything structural, you should be able to avoid the engineer altogether. If you plan on doing the work yourself, then I say good luck to you as it will get much more difficult then identifying load bearing walls.
[OP]
Jul 3, 2008
501 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
fusion2k2k wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 9:43 am
Are you doing the work yourself or a contractor? The contractor can assist. If you don't move anything structural, you should be able to avoid the engineer altogether. If you plan on doing the work yourself, then I say good luck to you as it will get much more difficult then identifying load bearing walls.
Thanks. I intend to remove non-load bearing walls only, or at most, remove small portion of a load bearing wall to create an opening. Hence I'm trying to come up with a floor plan that would work given these constraints. If anyone knows a good GC that works in downtown Toronto, happy to speak to them and give more details on the project!
Sep 26, 2016
4 posts
2 upvotes
We used Zorkin Engineering this summer for drawings, and it worked out pretty well. Price did not seem high, and the drawings were detailed enough to forgo hiring a GC. Instead hired a framer/carpenter for a day to get the beam in place, and did the rest ourselves.
[OP]
Jul 3, 2008
501 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
funkutel wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 1:07 pm
We used Zorkin Engineering this summer for drawings, and it worked out pretty well. Price did not seem high, and the drawings were detailed enough to forgo hiring a GC. Instead hired a framer/carpenter for a day to get the beam in place, and did the rest ourselves.
Hi - thanks for the reply. Is my understanding of the process correct?
1) get engineering drawings/consulting
2) apply for permit for load bearing wall removal
3) find contractor to do this, or find a framer/carpenter to remove wall
4) fixed up wall with drywall yourself
5) close the city inspection

Can you recommend the framer/carpenter you used? I also need to frame a few doors in my house better as well. Thanks :)
Sep 26, 2016
4 posts
2 upvotes
I would add:
- After 2: get the demolition done - get the bin, protect the flooring, tear down plaster/drywall, remove all electrical and HVAC, parts of ceiling as needed. Ceiling is a big question mark, might have to tear it all down.
- After 3: pass framing inspection
- After 4: put new floor where the walls used to be. Not a trivial task, we had to re-floor half the room
firefly767 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 1:13 pm
Hi - thanks for the reply. Is my understanding of the process correct?
1) get engineering drawings/consulting
2) apply for permit for load bearing wall removal
3) find contractor to do this, or find a framer/carpenter to remove wall
4) fixed up wall with drywall yourself
5) close the city inspection

Can you recommend the framer/carpenter you used? I also need to frame a few doors in my house better as well. Thanks :)