Automotive

Recommendation for Subwoofer & Amp - Audio Enthusiasts Help!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2016 12:45 pm
Jun 22, 2009
309 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto

Recommendation for Subwoofer & Amp - Audio Enthusiasts Help!

Complete noob when it comes to car audio. I have an Audi A5 with the Bang & Olufsen sound system. The system sounds great but it doesn't have enough bass for me. I'm looking to add in only a 12" subwoofer and an amp but don't need something too extreme. Just a cheap set up that will give me more bass (doesn't have to shake houses while I pass by on the street).

Any recommendations on a cheap set up? Not looking to spend too much
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Not an enthusiast but Hi Fonics amps are pretty good bang for the buck.

Possibly more wisely available might be MTX and Fosgate as well.

Not sure about Subwoofers but there's the usual suspects like JL Audio,Kicker,Alpine,Clarion etc.

Certainly even cheaper can be had at Flea Markets, brands like Pyramid and Pyle but I figure in this case you get what you pay for.
Jun 22, 2009
309 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
I read a bunch of forums where people replaced the stock sub with the Pioneer TS-W261D4:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... /TS-W261D4

I know doing a straight switch won't make a huge difference. Do you guys think i should get that and power it with an amp? That sub can be bough for about $50 USD which is super cheap. If you guys think powering that with an amp is a smart idea can anybody recommend the right amp for that?
Oct 15, 2008
174 posts
75 upvotes
Windsor
What I did back in the day was to get an amplifier with a speaker level line in and splice the wires going into the sub allowing the signal to also feed the amplifier. This allowed the sub volume to change as I turned up the tunes, but didn't require me to hack into the head unit. I had a sub in a box with the amp mounted to the box (so I could get it out with a minimum of work). I had a small amp - something like http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POCEN/ ... s/GM-A3602 attached to a 12 inch sub - when it was in my sealed trunk, it was more than enough bass. Could I have ripped out all of the speakers and had something way better in terms of sound quality, sure. Did I want a career in car audio, no. Did I do this in my garage in less than a weekend, absolutely - including running the power wire from the battery to the amp and running a remote shutoff into the glove box. Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3536 upvotes
audio is highly subjective, but it would be best to sit in other people's cars with different setups.

When I was a younger fellow, I had a 10" JL Audio on a small amp from the 90s (some canadian brand that doesn't exist anymore) but it was great in my VW Jetta (mk4).

Doesn't the B&O system already come with a sub?

Maybe play around with the EQ settings?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2869 posts
2130 upvotes
Desii wrote: Complete noob when it comes to car audio. I have an Audi A5 with the Bang & Olufsen sound system. The system sounds great but it doesn't have enough bass for me. I'm looking to add in only a 12" subwoofer and an amp but don't need something too extreme. Just a cheap set up that will give me more bass (doesn't have to shake houses while I pass by on the street).

Any recommendations on a cheap set up? Not looking to spend too much
Whats your budget? Music preferences? Do you want an all in one called a powered subwoofer or would you rather to piece everything to your own specs?

My built to spec, fiberglass enclosure costed me about 200 to build. Its built into the jack enclosure of the vehicle to I have more use of the truck.
Smash that like button!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Just place a kicker 250 amp and any sub with box will be cheap and give you enough bass. Both will be sub $100. If you want something a little more, and looking at how you want it installed, price will go up up up.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2869 posts
2130 upvotes
koffey wrote: Just place a kicker 250 amp and any sub with box will be cheap and give you enough bass. Both will be sub $100. If you want something a little more, and looking at how you want it installed, price will go up up up.
Can you post links to sub 100$ amp and sub?
Smash that like button!
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
I have had 10" JL Audio Subs, 12" Fosgate Sub & Currently have 12" JL Audio. Here are 2 photos of my old GTI & Current Golf R with Custom FiberGlass Setups.

Whats your budget because it can get expensive quickly if you want a professional quality job done.

Jun 22, 2009
309 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
Hey guys thanks for the input. I've been doing tons of research over the past few days and know a little about what I want to do. The B&O system does already have a sub attached but it doesn't perform well at low frequencies. So what I'm planning on doing is getting an amp that allows speaker level inputs and using the wire going to my current B&O sub as the input into the amp. Remote wiring seems a bit complicated since I don't have the knowledge or tools to figure out which fuse to use so ideally I want to find a monoblock amp that will turns itself on when it detects signal from the speaker level inputs (not sure how many of these actually exist if somebody can point out a few that they know of I would greatly appreciate it.

Now as for the sub a lot of people on audi threads have gone with free air subs which fit exactly where the B&O sub is. Some of the free air options I've been looking at are Pioneer TS-W261D4 (seems to be the cheapest - $58 USD) , Rockford P3SD4-10 and JL Audio 10W3V3-4 (or other versions). I'm currently leaning towards the Pioneer since it's so cheap. Do you guys think using a free air sub will work out okay or should I be looking into enclosures?

I looked into a few amps to go with the Pioneer and came across the Kenwood X501-1 and Rockford R500X1D (Both are about $100 USD). I don't think either of these have the auto on and off feature that I previously mentioned

My budget is quite low I think I want to spend sub $300 between the sub and amp and I know I'll probably need to spend an additional $50 or so on getting sound deadening mats and and amp kit.

If you have any other recommendations for a set up please do share them. If I go with an enclosure I would prefer a single sub and something shallow I don't want to use up half my trunk (although I don't use the trunk much anyways).
Jun 22, 2009
309 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
6mthatch wrote: Whats your budget? Music preferences? Do you want an all in one called a powered subwoofer or would you rather to piece everything to your own specs?

My built to spec, fiberglass enclosure costed me about 200 to build. Its built into the jack enclosure of the vehicle to I have more use of the truck.
Budget is sub $300 and mainly listening to hip-hop & some r&b. Can you share your build is that $200 including the sub?
Jun 22, 2009
309 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
sickcars wrote: I have had 10" JL Audio Subs, 12" Fosgate Sub & Currently have 12" JL Audio. Here are 2 photos of my old GTI & Current Golf R with Custom FiberGlass Setups.

Whats your budget because it can get expensive quickly if you want a professional quality job done.

Those look super nice! I'm assuming fiberglass setups probably cost a lot of $$ right? They look awesome though
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
I dont think you will be able to do anything good for $300 IMO.

I see you posted a bunch of shallow subs. I'm using the following, out of your budget but maybe you can find a used one or something - http://www.jlaudio.ca/12tw3-d4-car-audi ... vers-92185

You need,
1. Sub - The ones you picked seem to be 300-350watt rms
2. Amp - Based on the subs you will want 400-500watt
3. Quality Wiring Kid (usually copper) - http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_294 ... S8-1B.html
4. a box or enclosure for the sub
5. RCA Cables from the back of the deck or something similar
6. Sound Deadening like Dynamat is pretty expensive. I did my whole trunk area (I can send you photos) with their top of the line stuff, I think it cost me around $160 for the trunk kit. So I dont think you will be able to get that + amp kit for $50 unless it low quality stuff maybe which is not worth it.

I dont think you can do all this for under $300 at least not with new quality parts. I would raise your budget a bit higher maybe $500 range.
Desii wrote: Hey guys thanks for the input. I've been doing tons of research over the past few days and know a little about what I want to do. The B&O system does already have a sub attached but it doesn't perform well at low frequencies. So what I'm planning on doing is getting an amp that allows speaker level inputs and using the wire going to my current B&O sub as the input into the amp. Remote wiring seems a bit complicated since I don't have the knowledge or tools to figure out which fuse to use so ideally I want to find a monoblock amp that will turns itself on when it detects signal from the speaker level inputs (not sure how many of these actually exist if somebody can point out a few that they know of I would greatly appreciate it.

Now as for the sub a lot of people on audi threads have gone with free air subs which fit exactly where the B&O sub is. Some of the free air options I've been looking at are Pioneer TS-W261D4 (seems to be the cheapest - $58 USD) , Rockford P3SD4-10 and JL Audio 10W3V3-4 (or other versions). I'm currently leaning towards the Pioneer since it's so cheap. Do you guys think using a free air sub will work out okay or should I be looking into enclosures?

I looked into a few amps to go with the Pioneer and came across the Kenwood X501-1 and Rockford R500X1D (Both are about $100 USD). I don't think either of these have the auto on and off feature that I previously mentioned

My budget is quite low I think I want to spend sub $300 between the sub and amp and I know I'll probably need to spend an additional $50 or so on getting sound deadening mats and and amp kit.

If you have any other recommendations for a set up please do share them. If I go with an enclosure I would prefer a single sub and something shallow I don't want to use up half my trunk (although I don't use the trunk much anyways).
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Well its all in the labor. I have a friend that does it so I get a good deal but I'm sure just for the enclosure it would be at least $200-300 range Then add all your equipment & labor to wire everything etc. BUT it takes up very little room and it sounds great when done properly!
Jun 22, 2009
309 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
sickcars wrote: I dont think you will be able to do anything good for $300 IMO.

I see you posted a bunch of shallow subs. I'm using the following, out of your budget but maybe you can find a used one or something - http://www.jlaudio.ca/12tw3-d4-car-audi ... vers-92185

You need,
1. Sub - The ones you picked seem to be 300-350watt rms
2. Amp - Based on the subs you will want 400-500watt
3. Quality Wiring Kid (usually copper) - http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_294 ... S8-1B.html
4. a box or enclosure for the sub
5. RCA Cables from the back of the deck or something similar
6. Sound Deadening like Dynamat is pretty expensive. I did my whole trunk area (I can send you photos) with their top of the line stuff, I think it cost me around $160 for the trunk kit. So I dont think you will be able to get that + amp kit for $50 unless it low quality stuff maybe which is not worth it.

I dont think you can do all this for under $300 at least not with new quality parts. I would raise your budget a bit higher maybe $500 range.
For a budget build what do you think of me using the Pioneer TS-W261D4 ($58 USD) and powering it with the Rockford R500X1D ($110 USD). Installing it in my rear deck so no enclosure just a free air setup (the sub is rated good for free air). On threads I read a lot of people using GT Mat instead of Dynamat as a cheaper alternative that still seemed to work for people when placed properly below and above the rear deck.

A lot of people on Audi threads have been doing a straight swap of the B&O sub with the Pioneer without powering it with an external sub (they just use the B&O sub that is already in the car). Since the Pioneer has 93db sensitivity compared to 83-86db sensitivity on the B&O sub people are still noticing a great improvement and liking how it sounds. I just want to take it up a notch and use the sub to its full capacity. The A5 has the B&O amp with a grounding point conveniently beside it, the battery and fuse box all in the trunk so hooking up a new mono block amp doesn't seem to be a whole lot of additional work.

I am not looking for enough bass to shake my neighbors house when I pull up or for the car driving beside me to feel but just want enough tight bass that still hits hard enough to be felt. Spending $500 just to install a sub just doesn't seem worth it to me at the moment so trying to go for a budget install that gives me what I want. Please let me know what you think of the setup and let me know of any flaws you see right off the bat. I have no experience with car audio so just been going off of what I've been reading on various forums
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2869 posts
2130 upvotes
Desii wrote: Budget is sub $300 and mainly listening to hip-hop & some r&b. Can you share your build is that $200 including the sub?
Lol, just my box was 200 (estimate?)
Smash that like button!
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
I think you should try to get a better 10"sub that will still fit in the area you want to put it.
The amp looks to be good, fosgate seems to make good stuff.

I had the stock Fender setup in my Golf R. I think it was 400-450 watts total. It came with a 6" sub but it could not hit the low end bass and sounded a little Tin Can'ish to me. After just putting down the dynamat I noticed a difference. It almost sounded like I had upgraded the sub actually. Then of course after changing the sub there was a big difference (did not touch the door speakers)

I think you are headed in the right direction and you need to see what the guys on the audi forms did and I would try to go with the higher end of things, ie get a 100-$150 more power sub vs the $50 because it will make a big difference. Especially if you want to feel the bass in the car. Also try to cover everything you can in dynamat or equivalent, it makes a big difference.
Desii wrote: For a budget build what do you think of me using the Pioneer TS-W261D4 ($58 USD) and powering it with the Rockford R500X1D ($110 USD). Installing it in my rear deck so no enclosure just a free air setup (the sub is rated good for free air). On threads I read a lot of people using GT Mat instead of Dynamat as a cheaper alternative that still seemed to work for people when placed properly below and above the rear deck.

A lot of people on Audi threads have been doing a straight swap of the B&O sub with the Pioneer without powering it with an external sub (they just use the B&O sub that is already in the car). Since the Pioneer has 93db sensitivity compared to 83-86db sensitivity on the B&O sub people are still noticing a great improvement and liking how it sounds. I just want to take it up a notch and use the sub to its full capacity. The A5 has the B&O amp with a grounding point conveniently beside it, the battery and fuse box all in the trunk so hooking up a new mono block amp doesn't seem to be a whole lot of additional work.

I am not looking for enough bass to shake my neighbors house when I pull up or for the car driving beside me to feel but just want enough tight bass that still hits hard enough to be felt. Spending $500 just to install a sub just doesn't seem worth it to me at the moment so trying to go for a budget install that gives me what I want. Please let me know what you think of the setup and let me know of any flaws you see right off the bat. I have no experience with car audio so just been going off of what I've been reading on various forums
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2869 posts
2130 upvotes
Whats the stock subwoofer?
You may be able to use the stock location and replace the sub as you suggested. You'd have to check whatever sub you want with the cu ft and the required depth. From there, You'd need an appropriate amp.
Sub 300$....bazooka, rockford fosgate punch as well as other self powered units.
Smash that like button!
Jun 22, 2009
309 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
sickcars wrote: I think you should try to get a better 10"sub that will still fit in the area you want to put it.
The amp looks to be good, fosgate seems to make good stuff.

I had the stock Fender setup in my Golf R. I think it was 400-450 watts total. It came with a 6" sub but it could not hit the low end bass and sounded a little Tin Can'ish to me. After just putting down the dynamat I noticed a difference. It almost sounded like I had upgraded the sub actually. Then of course after changing the sub there was a big difference (did not touch the door speakers)

I think you are headed in the right direction and you need to see what the guys on the audi forms did and I would try to go with the higher end of things, ie get a 100-$150 more power sub vs the $50 because it will make a big difference. Especially if you want to feel the bass in the car. Also try to cover everything you can in dynamat or equivalent, it makes a big difference.
Thanks for the advice! So you said the amp is good but I should be looking for a better sub. Can you point out some things I should pay attention to when researching different sub that would fit? How can I know if the subs better than the Pioneer or not (what specific specs should I pay attention to)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Kicker and Alpine comes into mind.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)