Recommendations for Martial Arts, Soccer or Swimming

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2017 9:51 pm
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
38 posts
12 upvotes

Recommendations for Martial Arts, Soccer or Swimming

Thinking of getting my 3 and half year old enrolled in either of these classes: Martial Arts, Soccer or Swimming
Which one of these activities do you guys suggest should be first on my list?

And if possible, please suggest places with good reviews around Don Mills/Sheppard area?

Thanks a lot
11 replies
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1195 posts
298 upvotes
Ottawa
Swimming definitely. One of the most useful skills that he will benefit for life.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
14626 posts
3945 upvotes
Ottawa
My kid was enrolled in martial arts since 3 and it looks to be something that will be ongoing.
The confidence, independence and discipline shows, as we never had issues with transitioning into daycare and this year JK.

First week of school had passed and not even one tear, with the exception from mom.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
38 posts
12 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 6:26 am
My kid was enrolled in martial arts since 3 and it looks to be something that will be ongoing.
The confidence, independence and discipline shows, as we never had issues with transitioning into daycare and this year JK.

First week of school had passed and not even one tear, with the exception from mom.
In Toronto, most of the places accept from age 4 for martial arts
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2387 posts
966 upvotes
I would do swimming during the school year, you should be able to get 2-3 levels out of the way. And then soccer in the spring.

Swimming is the most important IMO because it is an important skill froma safety point of view. And soccer at that age is just great for getting them active. But really take your kids likes as your guide. If you think your child is the type who would just complain/cry/ or sit and pick the grass at soccer then try something different.

Martial arts I would wait a couple years of your child is doing other things. Don't over schedule them.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
14626 posts
3945 upvotes
Ottawa
membrs wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 9:14 am
In Toronto, most of the places accept from age 4 for martial arts
Same min age requirement here in Ottawa also, which required us to enroll as a family for the first year.
May 14, 2010
530 posts
72 upvotes
Mississauga
At that age we did swimming in the cooler months (indoor) and in the summer we did tball and soccer.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3865 posts
568 upvotes
Kingston
I think Karate is really great. Im sure you can teach your child how to swim. Until they are a strong swimmer just make sure they wear a life jacket. They probably don't swim every day, but karate can teach them something they will use everyday.
We have our son in Karate and I think its worth it.

Your child will learn:
Self-discipline, responsibility, focus, fitness, self confidence, respect & self respect, Self-Control and good decision making, self-defense, teamwork, memorization, balance & posture, coordination & motor skills,
etc etc too many to list.

(I know swimming and soccer have some of the same benefits)

The world can be pretty nasty. You can say dont talk to strangers, or run away from bullies all you want but when something does actually happen will they be prepared?
A year or so ago my son was grabbed by an older child in the playground, they were going to take him over to the side and beat him up. He knew how to get out of the hold if someone grabs you. He walked away no problem and found a teacher.
Jun 3, 2006
622 posts
28 upvotes
Markham
Both of our boys do all 3 of them and hockey. Karate is year round, soccer in summer, and hockey/swimming during the school year. Both of them have no choice for karate and swimming, but they choose to play soccer/hockey. It's a bit of a pain to shuttle them around, but we're used to it now.
Jun 1, 2017
176 posts
13 upvotes
London, ON
Swimming for sure! It's a lot of fun and so, so important to learn. When you're child is a little older, he/she can let you know what interests them.

Some martial arts places will allow you to go for a free class to see if it's something your kid will like, worth checking some clubs to see if they offer this.

I found a very affordable soccer class through the city that my daughter tried out...good thing it was cheap, she was terrible at it (but still had a ton of fun)...really, soccer when they are this young is just a bunch of kids running around doing their own thing...