Recommendations for places to get oil changed

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 4:06 am
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16392 posts
1098 upvotes
Woodbridge
Honda charges $69.99. Costco is $21 cheaper.

OP you can even buy your own oil if you like and get the dealer to change it $20-$25.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3621 posts
632 upvotes
Alberta
I take mine back to the dealer. We have a Honda Odyssey and a Civic. Honda fast lube there only charges me $48.88 +GST for an oil change.
Dec 13, 2014
47 posts
9 upvotes
Unionville, ON
check out Ivan @ Igarage ! 156 Bullock Drive Unit 29
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2437 posts
480 upvotes
Toronto
Regarding upsell from the dealer, an acquaintance of mine just came back from an oil change at Toyota, and they charged her $1000 for oil change, front pads replacements, windshield wipers, inspection of rear brakes. All for one lousy oil change she wanted and got convinced when they said "your brakes are rusted".

Don't be afraid to say no and ask for quote so you can go back another day, or not.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3621 posts
632 upvotes
Alberta
I’ve been going to my Honda dealer fast lube for 11 years. Not once have they tried to upsell anything to me.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9249 posts
699 upvotes
RFD
Disgusting practice from the stealership. Which specific toyota dealer is this so people can avoid?
peteryorkuca wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 10:59 am
Regarding upsell from the dealer, an acquaintance of mine just came back from an oil change at Toyota, and they charged her $1000 for oil change, front pads replacements, windshield wipers, inspection of rear brakes. All for one lousy oil change she wanted and got convinced when they said "your brakes are rusted".

Don't be afraid to say no and ask for quote so you can go back another day, or not.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2437 posts
480 upvotes
Toronto
radeonboy wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 11:49 am
Disgusting practice from the stealership. Which specific toyota dealer is this so people can avoid?
Woodbridge. In GTA. Funny enough, first thing I see when I click on their site is free life time oil change with purchase of a new car.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5580 posts
1426 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 11:38 am
I’ve been going to my Honda dealer fast lube for 11 years. Not once have they tried to upsell anything to me.
I have been going to Honda for oil changes in my Odyssey since day one. Yes, they charge slightly more than other oil change options, but there's no issue as to whether the recommended oil change intervals have been followed (should an issue arise) when the record is right there on the Service Dept's database.
The only complaint I have is they keep trying to push replacement cabin air filters. I always bring an Amazon purchased air and cabin filter's with me - and on one occasion, the Service Adviser came to me in the waiting area holding the old air filter and started his pitch for a "dealer installed replacement" - I told him there was a brand new filter sitting on the floor of the 2nd row of seats - since the mechanic had already removed the old/dirty one - they could install the new one. The reply was 1/4 hr labour to install the filter - so I told them to put the dirty one back and I would change it myself (I changed it right in their parking lot).
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41595 posts
10236 upvotes
I just did my own oil change for the second time, this time using ramps (brute technology) and chocks.

It was a lot easier but messed up my asphalt driveway so I out dawn liquid detergent on those oil spots to stop the oil from seeping through.

The Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic oil works great. Still had a lot of oil left after 6-7k / one year of mainly short driving. For those with excessive motor oil consumption, try the Mobil 1. I switched from conventional just last year around this time.

Do everything tainted with motor oil have to go to hazardous waste or can minor stuff like nitrile gloves, bounty towels go to the garbage?

I am in Halton region in the GTA.

Thank you.

Edit:

Just chug it in the garbage bag. I guess everything but the motor oil goes to garbage:
http://www.halton.ca/cms/One.aspx?porta ... page=92859
Jun 1, 2017
11 posts
Hamilton
I have been taking my car to meineke to get the oil change for $20..... I called yesterday to get an appointment and now they are charging $29 Face Screaming In Fear
peteryorkuca wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 10:59 am

Everyone interested on the comment above, check this video. This is how they scam people when you get an oil change at some locations. Know the tricks.
Last edited by badboo on Dec 7th, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 18, 2014
338 posts
175 upvotes
Markham, ON
Be a Man! Do it yourself!

J/k Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
But seriously, try to do it yourself. I do it myself just for the convenience of it.

If I take my car to the dealership, it takes them like 1-2 hours to do my oil change.
I either have to waste 2+ hours waiting + skip an hour of works in the morning, or make other transportation arrangement.

Now I do it in my garage on the weekend when I am free and it takes 30 mins.
It takes 30min just to drive to a dealership.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41595 posts
10236 upvotes
Didn't know engines equipped with lifetime timing chains, those can overextend with low motor oil levels or just dirty motor oil.
[OP]
Jul 11, 2008
444 posts
95 upvotes
Thanks everyone for the input. General consensus is to have the oil changes done at a dealership.

Is it ideal to take the vehicle to a dealership with the same make as the make of the car (Ie. take a honda into a honda dealership)? Or, if say another japanese dealership (for example, toyota dealership) has a promo/special on oil change etc, is it OK to take the honda into a toyota dealership too? I'm sure any dealership would provide paperwork showing the work (oil change etc) that was done - in case of any issues around warranty etc.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9362 posts
1900 upvotes
Toronto
adilh53 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 1:36 am
Thanks everyone for the input. General consensus is to have the oil changes done at a dealership.

Is it ideal to take the vehicle to a dealership with the same make as the make of the car (Ie. take a honda into a honda dealership)? Or, if say another japanese dealership (for example, toyota dealership) has a promo/special on oil change etc, is it OK to take the honda into a toyota dealership too? I'm sure any dealership would provide paperwork showing the work (oil change etc) that was done - in case of any issues around warranty etc.
i doubt a dealer would service another brand of car.

Honda would service an Acura, Toyota a Lexus, Nissan an Infiniti etc...but I doubt Honda would service a Toyota for example.
Jul 24, 2009
598 posts
390 upvotes
kitchener
adilh53 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 8:09 pm
Not at all handy. I've been getting it done through a private mechanic for many years. Recently, bought a new car and mechanic is revommending while its under warranty, to get oil changes etc done through a place that provides receipt etc in the event there are any issues related to warranty. I've heard Canadian Tire tends to cause more issues than they fix but are there other places that are more reliable for these types of day to day maintenance services?
Stay away from all the fast lube pits...to be honest I don't even trust the dealers with oil changes since hardly anyone follows the proper procedure these days.
Most of them don't drain the oil properly, because that takes time and time is money.
Then they proceed to add the prescribed amount, which results in your oil being over filled.
If you check your oil level the next morning after getting an oil change done (when all of the oil had a chance to drain into the pan) , theres a 99% chance it will be groselly over filled.
This is not good for the engine and there is a reason why the manufacturer puts the "max" level on the dip stick.
If your intention is to get rid of this vehicle after the warranty expires then it doesn't matter...but if you intention is to keep it for long time, you would be better off to do oil changes yourself.