Page 3 of 4

Re: recommended dog food for small poodle - currently giving him Orijen

Posted: Jan 22nd, 2013 11:37 pm
by krash322
OP - I have two miniature poodles and they are on the exact Orijen bag that you have. They're slightly over 20 lbs each and are doing great on it. It takes them about 30 seconds to finish their meals, they simply love their food. It is a bit more expensive than other brands, but my girls' health come first.

Posted: Jan 25th, 2013 8:12 pm
by new_vr
We feed are dog acana Pacifica

Just be glad you don't have a giant breed ;)

Posted: Jan 28th, 2013 2:06 am
by DiploDocus
rosesare wrote:
Jan 16th, 2013 9:11 pm
Check out Horizon. I fed my dog Acana and Orijen (he's a 120lb Wolfhound mix with various allegies) and he did very well but it was breaking my wallet. Horizon is a lesser known company but is very similar to Acana and Orijen in relation to protein levels and food quality. The only real difference is that they're in Saskatchewan and not Alberta and they use lentils and peas as a carb instead of potatoes which actually seemed to help with my dog. He used to have chronic ear infections but hasn't had one since switching the food. I've read and heard something about potato based carbs potentially causing ear infections because they promote yeast growth but I'm not sure other then it seems to have made a difference.

The main selling point for me? It's just as good quality wise but it's cheaper. The Pulsar is Acana's equivalent and is $50 for the large bag which cost me $65+ with Acana and the Legacy is equivalent to Origen costing $65 for the large bag where the Orijen here is $75+. The only draw back to the Pulsar is that is only comes in chicken flavour and chicken & whitefish. Tried both with my dog but he's on Pulsar right now just based on price.

http://www.horizonpetfood.com/brands
interesting, my dog does get ear infections so I might give that dog food a try.

Posted: Feb 4th, 2013 8:23 pm
by DiploDocus
Tried looking for Horizon Pulsar in Prince George and couldn't find it, the pet stores around here only carry Horizon Complete and Horizon Legacy. I'd like to try this Pulsar because my dog was hit with another ear infection as of late, its annoying.

Posted: Feb 4th, 2013 9:15 pm
by Shaner
DiploDocus wrote:
Feb 4th, 2013 8:23 pm
Tried looking for Horizon Pulsar in Prince George and couldn't find it, the pet stores around here only carry Horizon Complete and Horizon Legacy. I'd like to try this Pulsar because my dog was hit with another ear infection as of late, its annoying.
Try to Legacy

Posted: Feb 7th, 2013 4:44 pm
by frisco204
I feed my 2 year old Lhasa Apso a mixture of Pacifica and Wild Prairie. I bought a new bag of pacifica the other day and the smell was very different from the previous bag. My Lhasa refuses to eat it and will pick out the old Wild Prairie and spit the new pacifica. Any one else with this issue? A few people have been returning Acana bags to the pet store because of the same problem as I.

Posted: Feb 21st, 2013 12:45 pm
by NISMO_GTR
I met the Raw Material Quality Manager for Royal Canin... it seems like their food is of extremely high quality,is meticulously tested, and Canadian made. She even offered to let me speak to their vets on staff about any questions I had... I got the sense the company stands by their food and hold it to high standards.

Posted: Feb 21st, 2013 6:06 pm
by jackie999
I alternate between Orijen senior, Acana Light and Fit, and Acana Senior. My two mini schnauzers aren't overweight..you need to watch fat content in schnauzers ..they're prone to pancreatitis.
I feed home made raw for dinners. If you're concerned with bones splintering..I buy ground chicken carcass from the butcher and add that to the recipe.
By the way..orijen is changing their recipe,
http://orijen.ca/wholeprey/

Posted: Jun 12th, 2013 7:35 pm
by DiploDocus
jackie999 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2013 6:06 pm
I alternate between Orijen senior, Acana Light and Fit, and Acana Senior. My two mini schnauzers aren't overweight..you need to watch fat content in schnauzers ..they're prone to pancreatitis.
I feed home made raw for dinners. If you're concerned with bones splintering..I buy ground chicken carcass from the butcher and add that to the recipe.
By the way..orijen is changing their recipe,
http://orijen.ca/wholeprey/
Yep, the recipe change is no more potatoes which is the reason I went with Horizon Pulsar for awhile

Horizon is cheaper and you get more but dog seems to prefer Orijen over it...$$$.

Ear issues didn't go away either on Horizon Pulsar, I ended up getting something called zymox (Had to order on amazon, couldn't find any place intown) and that has surprinsgly worked better than epioptic, and anti-biotics from vet.

Posted: Jun 14th, 2013 12:23 am
by rdha
Our two 4 years old Pekingese has been on Orejin Regional RED for the last 3 1/2 years ever since we got them from the breeder.. they only consume about 2 largest bag ( much cheaper per kilo ) per year total.. so not exactly to expensive to feed them the best...

The small store we used to buy from suggested the largest size bag but split it into smaller sealed bags for storage to keep fresh. Most of the time, the best before date is over a year away.

Posted: Jun 14th, 2013 8:14 am
by redgrandam
rdha wrote:
Jun 14th, 2013 12:23 am
Our two 4 years old Pekingese has been on Orejin Regional RED for the last 3 1/2 years ever since we got them from the breeder.. they only consume about 2 largest bag ( much cheaper per kilo ) per year total.. so not exactly to expensive to feed them the best...

The small store we used to buy from suggested the largest size bag but split it into smaller sealed bags for storage to keep fresh. Most of the time, the best before date is over a year away.
This is actually pretty important. Intact those bags you put it in should be FROZEN to keep it fresh. Once open the bag of food is only really good, or at least optimum for a month or two. We usually buy a big bag, fill the food storage container, then freeze the rest. We use scans, so similar to your food.

Posted: Jun 14th, 2013 10:03 am
by dk1021
I have a toy poodle and i have been feeding the same 6 fish by orijen for the past two years. I visited the vet couple months ago and she had some allergies so they recommend us to try another brand/food. I bought a small bag of wellness small breed recently and looks like she is scratching even more now. I'm wondering if it would make a difference if i try another type of orijen or should I try another brand?

Posted: Jun 14th, 2013 10:16 am
by redgrandam
dk1021 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2013 10:03 am
I have a toy poodle and i have been feeding the same 6 fish by orijen for the past two years. I visited the vet couple months ago and she had some allergies so they recommend us to try another brand/food. I bought a small bag of wellness small breed recently and looks like she is scratching even more now. I'm wondering if it would make a difference if i try another type of orijen or should I try another brand?
How quickly is the change? If it were me I'd do an elimination test of sorts. Maybe just feed boiled chicken for a few days (short term only) and see to be sure it is actually in the food. Raw food could be an option if it is food related. Different varieties under the brand will have some different ingredients but also many many shares ones. Compare to acana maybe? My pet store has a money back guarantee for any reason. So see if yours does or if another does so you don't wast too much money on it.

Posted: Jun 14th, 2013 2:50 pm
by rdha
Why not try a sample bag of Orijen Regional RED.... ?? My Pekingese never liked the fish & chicken variety of Orijen... but love the beef flavour..
dk1021 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2013 10:03 am

Posted: Aug 17th, 2013 10:13 pm
by markadam
orijen is the best dry dog food and my vet advice me to feed my dog orijen