Home & Garden

Recommended furnace installer / sales in Ottawa?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2014 2:17 pm
Tags:
Nov 21, 2007
9 posts

Recommended furnace installer / sales in Ottawa?

I’m looking to replace my old oil furnace with a high efficiency natural gas one. Can anyone recommend an Ottawa area HVAC contractor that will do a really good install and charge a reasonable price?

If you had a lousy experience with a particular contractor, I’m quite curious about that too…
20 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24851 posts
2446 upvotes
Ottawa
I had a lot of estimates and eventually selected The Energy Centre as the place I bought my furnace and a/c. I did so because the sales staff had all the answers, they have been in business for many years, they have permanent staff (as opposed to seasonal installers) and the salesman had all the bylaws and rules and regulations in his briefcase when presenting me the sales pitch. this was helpful as others had said that under regulations etc I needed chimney liners, pumps and many other things which in fact I did not need. They also would undersell any other offer I was offered.
http://www.energycentre.ca/

They did a very good job of removing the old and installing the new. They were neet and tidy and clean and the work looks professional (things are lined up, wires clamped, ducting and piping is paralleled and no glue drips anywhere.

I am sure there are others equally as good but this is the one I dealt with and am very happy I did.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3545 posts
482 upvotes
Ottawa
I also second the Energy Centre. We needed our 65,000 btu standard efficiency natural gas furnace replaced with a mid-efficiency one. Installed cost was about $2000 back in 2006. Not only did they give us the best price, they were the only one out of four contractors we called that actually came to our home to give us a quote.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24851 posts
2446 upvotes
Ottawa
MacGyver wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 7:19 am
I also second the Energy Centre. We needed our 65,000 btu standard efficiency natural gas furnace replaced with a mid-efficiency one. Installed cost was about $2000 back in 2006. Not only did they give us the best price, they were the only one out of four contractors we called that actually came to our home to give us a quote.
Your post actually reminded me. I had a 90,000 btu mid efficiency furnace before and they did the calculations and recommended I go down to a 70,000. This saved money for me in the furnace cost and of course the future gas usage. Only one other company did the calculations and came up with figures and numbers to justify their recommendations, that was Phillips Heating and Cooling.
Dec 2, 2003
412 posts
11 upvotes
Ottawa
We just recently did an installation with Phillips Heating and Cooling and were very satisfied with their work. We would certainly recommend them.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2231 posts
281 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 9:09 am
Your post actually reminded me. I had a 90,000 btu mid efficiency furnace before and they did the calculations and recommended I go down to a 70,000. This saved money for me in the furnace cost and of course the future gas usage. Only one other company did the calculations and came up with figures and numbers to justify their recommendations, that was Phillips Heating and Cooling.
Hi Pete Coach,

Can you do a brief listing of what you ended up buying (unit/model#) along with total price after installation (with or without GST)? Would much appreciate! I am in the market to replace a furnace in a house I just bought (closing on Nov 6th) and have a quote for a Goodman Hi Eff (95%) for $2995 + GST or a Mid Eff Goodman for $2295 +GST. I think the technician said the Hi Eff model is a GMC75. I have no idea if this is reasonable or not and I'm not entirely confident wrt the Goodman brand in general after the research I have done in the main furnace deals thread.

Thanks ahead of time! I'll also PM you.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24851 posts
2446 upvotes
Ottawa
txenglan wrote:
Oct 15th, 2009 5:58 pm
Hi Pete Coach,

Can you do a brief listing of what you ended up buying (unit/model#) along with total price after installation (with or without GST)? Would much appreciate! I am in the market to replace a furnace in a house I just bought (closing on Nov 6th) and have a quote for a Goodman Hi Eff (95%) for $2995 + GST or a Mid Eff Goodman for $2295 +GST. I think the technician said the Hi Eff model is a GMC75. I have no idea if this is reasonable or not and I'm not entirely confident wrt the Goodman brand in general after the research I have done in the main furnace deals thread.

Thanks ahead of time! I'll also PM you.
I appreciate the vote of confidence but I have gleaned a tremendous amount of info from several of the threads on this forum. There are some very good experts who are willing to share a lot of insight.
My experience in purchasing a furnace and A/C was a bit of their advice, a bit of my own pigheadedness, research and price.
I will PM you some of the experiences I had in Ottawa.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2231 posts
281 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Oct 15th, 2009 6:09 pm
I appreciate the vote of confidence but I have gleaned a tremendous amount of info from several of the threads on this forum. There are some very good experts who are willing to share a lot of insight.
My experience in purchasing a furnace and A/C was a bit of their advice, a bit of my own pigheadedness, research and price.
Many thanks again for the PM Pete Coach. You scored an amazing deal. I intend on taking your advice and putting it to the test in my scenario. :razz:
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24851 posts
2446 upvotes
Ottawa
txenglan wrote:
Oct 15th, 2009 11:43 pm
Many thanks again for the PM Pete Coach. You scored an amazing deal. I intend on taking your advice and putting it to the test in my scenario. :razz:
I think I read of some pretty good deals on other threads too. The location and competition is a big factor. The folks in the GTA seem to have an overabundance of suppliers and they are all after the businesses.
When you shop, tally up all the rebates you are eligible for and use that information to figure out the end cost. These rebates are time limited so buying this year may be beneficial. Although, who know where the prices will go after all the rebates are gone.
May 17, 2005
2 posts
Ottawa
Morning Pete

Could I ask that you PM as well with your experiences in Ottawa.

While the brand and price are I'm keen on locating a very reputable
contractor as I have a challenging venting scenario given the
*very* limited options I have .. windows, dryer vents, gas meter.

/sl
May 29, 2005
527 posts
71 upvotes
Nepean
Can you also send me a PM. I'm starting my search now before I am forced to choose in a short period of time.

Thanks.
Oct 24, 2009
17 posts
For Petes sake I do need your help too, Pete Couch. Im in arush to buy 2 furnices for my house. Could you PM me too please. Kris
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24851 posts
2446 upvotes
Ottawa
slecomte wrote:
Nov 5th, 2009 8:38 am
Morning Pete

Could I ask that you PM as well with your experiences in Ottawa.

While the brand and price are I'm keen on locating a very reputable
contractor as I have a challenging venting scenario given the
*very* limited options I have .. windows, dryer vents, gas meter.

/sl
jamzbe wrote:
Nov 5th, 2009 11:40 am
Can you also send me a PM. I'm starting my search now before I am forced to choose in a short period of time.

Thanks.
CocoMoko wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 12:39 pm
For Petes sake I do need your help too, Pete Couch. Im in arush to buy 2 furnices for my house. Could you PM me too please. Kris
The thing is that txenglan and I had a long string of PM's where one question led to another and it went on for quite a while. I don't know what you guys are after so I cannot cut and paste all those PM's together.
Bottom line was that once I decided what I wanted, I got the various retailer/installers to give me quotes on exactly the same things. I then chose Energy Centre because they beat everyone else's prices plus they had installers that were with them for quite a long time. There are a lot of new guys out there and there are a number of companies getting into the retail buisness as well (because of the rebates) that have only done business with builders up till now.
I ended up with a Lennox G71 furnace, A Lennox XC 14 A/C unit and the compatible thermostat. All these qualified for the highest level rebate plus Lennox was giving some rebates at the time as well.
If you have specific questions I will gladly answer if I can. I am not an expert like some of the guys on other threads but I do know what I learned while on my search for the right (for me and my house) product. PM me.
Jun 15, 2009
186 posts
18 upvotes
Nepean
Pete_Coach wrote:
Oct 15th, 2009 6:09 pm
I am in the market looking to replace furnace, infact one guy is coming over today to give the estimate. It will be of help if you can share your personal experiace.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24851 posts
2446 upvotes
Ottawa
ghasita wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 1:40 pm
I am in the market looking to replace furnace, infact one guy is coming over today to give the estimate. It will be of help if you can share your personal experiace.
My experience was that I had a lot of guys come over and I went into information overload. I did come to realize that when you are in a certain efficiency level, the brands are so close they are almost indistinguishable so, price becomes the driver (for me anyway).
I settled on a Lennox brand. Now came the chore of getting apple vs apples price quotes. There are a lot of Lennox dealers and I cannot have them all over so I looked at who has been around for a long time. Longevity in business is really an asset. I chose 5 companies. The very first one became the standard. All others would be quoting the very same equipment.
I got a lot of talk form these guys, some crapped all over the competition, others spoke well of some of the competition, others said nothing. I do not deal with a company that is very critical of other businesses, they are all in the same boat and if all you have to offer is how bad you think the other guy is, then you don't have much to offer yourself.
Anyway, I asked about their installers and was impressed with a couple companies that had employees (installers) that had been with them for 10 + years. This and the door and window business is notorious for hiring seasonally and never having anyone around long. I am one of those folks that believe installation is more than half the job and it needs to be done right by qualified, experienced people.
That narrowed it down to a few companies. I liked the presentation of of several (Phillips, EN Blue) but there was one company (Energy Centre) that said they would beat anyone else. I had all the quotes and showed him the cheapest, he was several hundred above that but, he honored his guarantee and reduced his quote $100 below the cheapest I had. He was also one of the companies that had long time employees and had been in business in my area for many many years. Met all my criteria and therefore got my business.
The dollars and cents of it all is that once I decided what brand I wanted, it was easy to get good valid pricing. If you are undecided on the brand and will let price dictate what brand you will get, you may be chasing your tail around in circles and and there will always be a better deal out there.
Once again, the fact is that the top end furnaces of each major brand function so close to each other, the technical differences are so small that you need to choose a brand. I found Carrier to be consistently the highest price, even York top end was pricey and surprisingly, Lennox came out as the right one for me, for price, quality, performance, function and installation.
That is my story. Like I said, if you have specific questions about my purchase, PM me and I will do my best to answer you. I no longer have old quotes so if you want those, they will be from the failing memory of an old guy :lol:
× < >