Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2401 posts
278 upvotes
North York

Recording audioi

Hi: Need some advice, I am a noob so be gentle and kindly explain in detail. I own a Dell laptop Model Inspiron 5559. If I want to record or copy from an audio source onto this computer how do I go about it? Would just getting a mic and sticking it into the audio port and choosing " Mic in" be sufficient? Do I need to open any other program? If so, what? Alternatively, if I use another device to output audio how do I copy the audio into this computer? Do I just plug "male out" from the audio source into "male in " to this computer audio port? Or is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance
2 replies
Dec 7, 2015
479 posts
104 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
If the audio source has line out, you can get a cable to plug it into the mic in on the laptop. Like this one on Amazon (only you can use a cheaper version. this one's a bit pricey.)

You can also connect headphone out to mic in if the audio source has a headphone jack. Just be careful not to blast the playback volume. That's just a 3.5mm to 3.5mm or 1/4 in to 3.5mm phono plug cable.

As far as software, some OSes contain some rudimentary tool that will basically work. I use Audacity for sound editing, but that may be overkill.
Jun 21, 2008
403 posts
88 upvotes
mississauga
sheriffabc wrote:
Dec 24th, 2017 7:31 pm
Hi: Need some advice, I am a noob so be gentle and kindly explain in detail. I own a Dell laptop Model Inspiron 5559. If I want to record or copy from an audio source onto this computer how do I go about it? Would just getting a mic and sticking it into the audio port and choosing " Mic in" be sufficient? Do I need to open any other program? If so, what? Alternatively, if I use another device to output audio how do I copy the audio into this computer? Do I just plug "male out" from the audio source into "male in " to this computer audio port? Or is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance
I do this all the time
What is your audio source?
I am in the process of digitizing audio cassettes and i use the following
1. a reliable hardwired(to power supply) cassette player to ensure no jitter
2. a stereo cable male to male plugged into the headphone jack on the player and mic in/audio in on a windows 10 laptop
3.cdwav software, old but gold
pm me if you need more info and Merry Christmas to all and be safe