Recording MPAC home Inspection

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2018 10:18 pm
[OP]
Jul 13, 2007
118 posts
23 upvotes

Recording MPAC home Inspection

I'm contesting my valuation and think I have a strong case with pretty solid evidence to back up my case. Part of my disclosure shows how poor a job they did with the properties they used to support their valuation. I had photos of many of the homes featured by real estate agents for the property sale; they clearly showed renovations and features that differed from their data base. I don't think it went over well, the quality of evidence I had. The want to to inspect my place, which I'm OK with. Wanting to keep my "advantage", I agreed but would not accept their limited inspection times, telling them I wanted it done end of day Friday only and that I would videotape the process. Their reply: "For the purposes of Property Assessment, MPAC does not consent to the audio/video recording of the Property Inspection. However, if you prefer please feel free to have someone else join you at our Inspection." Of course, they will take photos of their own during the inspection. Considering everything seems recorded for "accuracy", from customer service calls, to police with body cams, to grocery aisles, I don't see how they can legitimately object. What if I had cameras installed within the house...they would be recorded. I'd like to use their objection against them. Thoughts?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7262 posts
1017 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
I guess you can refuse to accept their terms, but then they won't reassess.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
3218 posts
947 upvotes
Paris
You dont need to consent to recording in a non-public place.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Nov 30, 2011
722 posts
178 upvotes
GTA
It's inside your own home, you can do what you want. Worst case, the inspector will leave and your house will not be re-assessed.

Personally, I would never let MPAC in - and didn't when they wanted to 'drop by for a visit' following the purchase of my last house.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2007
118 posts
23 upvotes
We're at the stage where MPAC and I are supposed to try come to an agreeable valuation, an actual hearing will take place if we can't agree. At the hearing, its on MPAC to make the case for the value they've assigned. I've gone down this road before and always won. I'm of the mind nobody can dictate what I do in my own house. I'm ok to go to the hearing with the additional information that MPAC will not do an inspection with someone recording their inspection. We are recorded whenever we go shopping in a mall or visit a hospital, yes?
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
3218 posts
947 upvotes
Paris
You have to option of not going into a hospital or mall. They are exercising that option.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5316 posts
3679 upvotes
GTA
Just put cameras up in your house and don't tell them. Or wear your own body cam.

What do you mean by "nobody can dictate what I do in my own house"? What is MPAC trying to force you to do?

What are you worried about them doing that you need to record? Or are you just trying to be difficult for them? I can't see that helping your case at a hearing/tribunal.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
26413 posts
3091 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I’m confused. MPAC assessed your property, you are obviously disputing their evaluation.

Are you trying to get your property tax lowered or are you complaining that they devalued your property and you want to pay more tax?
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2005
1275 posts
61 upvotes
lightbulb wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 9:09 pm
We're at the stage where MPAC and I are supposed to try come to an agreeable valuation, an actual hearing will take place if we can't agree. At the hearing, its on MPAC to make the case for the value they've assigned. I've gone down this road before and always won. I'm of the mind nobody can dictate what I do in my own house. I'm ok to go to the hearing with the additional information that MPAC will not do an inspection with someone recording their inspection. We are recorded whenever we go shopping in a mall or visit a hospital, yes?
If it ends up going to a hearing, MPAC will bring up that you refused inspection.
The board will still order you to allow MPAC inspection if you want to move any further in the hearing process.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2007
118 posts
23 upvotes
edvc520 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:45 am
If it ends up going to a hearing, MPAC will bring up that you refused inspection.
The board will still order you to allow MPAC inspection if you want to move any further in the hearing process.
Not exactly true, I'm OK with inspection; they don't want me to record them at work. In our everyday life the option to choose to not being recorded is unrealistic. To "Jerico" who thinks it's an option not to go to places that record you- really? how do you function without getting gas, walking on downtown streets, shopping in any supermarket or corner store; cameras are "rolling" with or without your knowledge. I believe MPAC doesn't want the possible error or omission in their site report to be used against them. I simply want to ensure they don't selectively highlight attributes without noting deficiencies that affect property value.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
3218 posts
947 upvotes
Paris
lightbulb wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 5:52 pm
Not exactly true, I'm OK with inspection; they don't want me to record them at work. In our everyday life the option to choose to not being recorded is unrealistic. To "Jerico" who thinks it's an option not to go to places that record you- really? how do you function without getting gas, walking on downtown streets, shopping in any supermarket or corner store; cameras are "rolling" with or without your knowledge. I believe MPAC doesn't want the possible error or omission in their site report to be used against them. I simply want to ensure they don't selectively highlight attributes without noting deficiencies that affect property value.
So watch what they take pictures of and take conflicting pictures. Its called evidence for and against.

Recording them work is just insane. Why is this the second or third thread today about people trying to record people doing their jobs? Just because you CAN record on your phone doesnt mean you SHOULD.

Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3291 posts
586 upvotes
London
Jerico wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:50 pm
So watch what they take pictures of and take conflicting pictures. Its called evidence for and against.

Recording them work is just insane. Why is this the second or third thread today about people trying to record people doing their jobs? Just because you CAN record on your phone doesnt mean you SHOULD.
a billion times this. take pics of everything they take pics of. this recording stuff makes me so glad my job is in an office and not going to weirdos houses.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2398 posts
965 upvotes
Toronto
Just curious, how big of a value discrepancy do you think there is?