Tags:
[OP]
Dec 22, 2015
39 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Recourse for someone else cashing your cheque

Hi all,

I've just been informed that someone else has cashed in my cheque for the Tesla deposit refund, anyone know what I can do to get this back? Do they not cheque names against the person depositing the cheque?

I'm in disbelief that this is even possible.

Thanks in advance!
14 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17862 posts
1464 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Contact the banks fraud department and out a claim in, they'll likely have you create a police report. Hopefully it'll be a cut and dry case and you'll get your money back within a week.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2015
39 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The bank that it was cashed at? Or my bank?
Feb 13, 2017
125 posts
41 upvotes
toronto, ontario
What was the amount of the cheque?

Most banks will not cash a large cheque without the person's photo ID (at minimum). Some banks will require the person be a customer of the bank as well. There should be an abundant paper trail---and hopefully security video---of the actual transaction. Good luck OP!
Last edited by PhotoSmurf on Jul 13th, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19435 posts
7833 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Was this a $1k deposit on a model 3 that won't be delivered in time to get the EV rebate?

How do you know that the cheque was cashed? Is that what Tesla told you?
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17862 posts
1464 upvotes
Niagara Falls
HeroicDeath wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 12:29 pm
The bank that it was cashed at? Or my bank?
I'd do it with my bank. That's what I did when some kids stole my cheque book and wrote cheques to themselves.

I would wager a guess this cheque was cashed at a money mart or such.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2015
39 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nasa25 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 12:46 pm
Was this a $1k deposit on a model 3 that won't be delivered in time to get the EV rebate?

How do you know that the cheque was cashed? Is that what Tesla told you?
Yeah this was the $1K deposit, I decided to get another car.
Well when I informed Tesla that I didn't receive my cheques, they did a trace for the cheque and discovered it was cashed in by someone on the 1st of June. I'll be receiving a formal document of proof from them shortly.

I'll keep y'all updated. But so far, its taken me about 4 months and I've yet to receive any cheque.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
2037 posts
406 upvotes
Calgary
HeroicDeath wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 1:17 pm
Well when I informed Tesla that I didn't receive my cheques, they did a trace for the cheque and discovered it was cashed in by someone on the 1st of June.
Don't go to your bank, they can't do anything for you, you have to work it out with Tesla.
Last edited by Asoul on Jul 13th, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19435 posts
7833 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
HeroicDeath wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 1:17 pm
Well when I informed Tesla that I didn't receive my cheques, they did a trace for the cheque and discovered it was cashed in by someone on the 1st of June.
Tesla should be able to give you the address they mailed the cheque to as well as the bank that cashed the cheque. Realistically Tesla should be handling this fraud case. They should mail you another $1k cheque and sort out what happened with the first one they mailed you.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15020 posts
5288 upvotes
This is between you and Tesla. Tesla would have to be the one to pursue the charges against the individual who cashed their cheque.

You should be asking Tesla to issue another cheque. They can then deal with their bank as to how the other cheque was fraudulently cashed.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
5365 posts
1216 upvotes
GTA
Agree, Tesla was supposed to deliver the cheque to you. If they didn’t, it’s on them to sort this out.
Jun 17, 2009
487 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver
Banks don't check the names on the check and will process the check into the wrong account. I sent the wrong cheque to a supplier of ours, they received the cheque... didn't bother looking at the name which was UPS on the cheque and deposited it. They called me saying they deposited the wrong cheque after discovering they didn't get the right amount. But guess what they have our money from the UPS cheque in their bank account. DOH.
Personal Finance Blog
http://penniesatplay.blogspot.ca
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1047 posts
160 upvotes
I had somebody steal my mail and cash a cheque. I did the police report and contacted the bank. The bank reversed the money to my account (took about 2 weeks) and also gave me funds (I think it was $150) for allowing somebody to cash a cheque with my name on it. The police were utterly useless though, I gave the detective the full information and the bank had the address and name of the person who fraudulently cashed my cheque and were willing to give it to the police upon their request, but the useless officer said "We'll never be able to figure out who did this" I was very disappointed that they weren't willing to prosecute such and open and shut case.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19435 posts
7833 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Clacker wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 10:53 am
I had somebody steal my mail and cash a cheque. I did the police report and contacted the bank. The bank reversed the money to my account (took about 2 weeks) and also gave me funds (I think it was $150) for allowing somebody to cash a cheque with my name on it. The police were utterly useless though, I gave the detective the full information and the bank had the address and name of the person who fraudulently cashed my cheque and were willing to give it to the police upon their request, but the useless officer said "We'll never be able to figure out who did this" I was very disappointed that they weren't willing to prosecute such and open and shut case.
That person will probably someday meet someone who decides to settle the case out of court. It’ll catch up with them.
RIP sick fadez.
Feb 3, 2016
29 posts
20 upvotes
If Tesla works with a Canadian Bank for their cheques, then Tesla’s Canadian FI partner has 6 years to have the cheque returned before losing recourse (return as fraudulent endorsement).

In other words, you/they have 6 years to fix this.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)