Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto

Recruitment agencies asking for reference before interview

Should I really give them my reference list before they put me on their hiring list? Also, they asked for my passport for their ID requirement.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
Dunno about passport, but usually they would ask for references and hold them on file and verify them after the interview. You should be able to ask them when do they contact the refrences.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2010
1863 posts
582 upvotes
This is normal and they will all ask as part of your screening BUT beware that some recruiters/agencies are shameless and will call your references for leads.

This has happened to me and has made me highly cautious about providing the info. Ask them how they use the info and be blunt and it 'I don't want my references called unless I get further in the process.' Don't be surprised if they call your references and say something like 'I would like to meet with you to discuss your companies recruiting needs' they have to do this to get new business.

It's the same type of deal with these companies that want your references when you apply. Stupid, who is going to call them before meeting with you?