Green / Eco-Friendly

Recycling ice cream wood sticks and dorito bags?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2009 12:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
258 upvotes

Recycling ice cream wood sticks and dorito bags?

Popsicles...i only ate one and i'm left with a small wooden stick, can i recycle this?

I ate a small bag of doritos yesterday, i can't remember if the place i was at had an area for this type of material but do most recycling areas ?

I've been recycling now for 2 weeks and its kind of stressful because its much easier being careless and throwing stuff in the garbage without thinking about what it is i'm throwing away

So i'm folding cereal boxes now and keeping newspapers in my recycle bag then i bike over to the recycle place every Saturday and put this stuff in proper containers, i like the biking part the best
9 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
258 upvotes
what about coffee cups

can those be brought to recycling areas?

toilet paper would be gross...
Aug 10, 2004
231 posts
46 upvotes
Calgary
reduce reuse recycle

hrmm coffee cups you could just use a washable/reusable one and that would solve your problem and save you money from having to buy disposable ones

Popsicle sticks can be composted i think..
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2005
1376 posts
2 upvotes
Your best bet is to check with your municipality. Even here in Ontario, different municipalities have different criteria for what will be accepted and what will not, so really only another RFDer in the same town/city as you would be able to give you an accurate answer.
"Happiness is a good martini, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman, or a bad woman, depending on how much happiness you can stand" - George Burns
Aug 19, 2009
5 posts
Toronto, ON
This is quite a hassle for me. Sometimes on campus, some buildings don't have those recycling boxes with separate compartments.
I just usually put those chips bags, etc in the Garbage section, but I know it's not right...
These things have different types of plastics and chemicals in them, so they're neither "garbage", nor "recyclable" (like Cans and Bottles) :S
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18478 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
DiploDocus wrote:
Jul 27th, 2009 11:40 pm
Popsicles...i only ate one and i'm left with a small wooden stick, can i recycle this?

I ate a small bag of doritos yesterday, i can't remember if the place i was at had an area for this type of material but do most recycling areas ?

I've been recycling now for 2 weeks and its kind of stressful because its much easier being careless and throwing stuff in the garbage without thinking about what it is i'm throwing away

So i'm folding cereal boxes now and keeping newspapers in my recycle bag then i bike over to the recycle place every Saturday and put this stuff in proper containers, i like the biking part the best
What's this place you speak of? If it is a public recycling/garbage bin, it is illegal to dump your house hold stuff there, just FYI
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
258 upvotes
CSR wrote:
Aug 20th, 2009 10:26 pm
What's this place you speak of? If it is a public recycling/garbage bin, it is illegal to dump your house hold stuff there, just FYI
what do you mean by household stuff?

i'm recycling news papers i get in the mail, other recyclable items like cardboard, cereal boxes etc
Feb 6, 2008
664 posts
19 upvotes
I only recycle the stuff with the recycling symbol printed on it.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2021 upvotes
Nowhere
I put popsicle sticks in the green bin. My mother has always saved them. She washes them and uses them to make her own frozen treats. Others use them for crafts.
Jun 12, 2008
723 posts
163 upvotes
Ripley
99% of chip bags are NOT recyclable. Dorito bags are definitely not recyclable. Check out your local recycling companies website to find out what is and isn't accepted.