• Jan 17th, 2019 11:18 am
Jan 10, 2009
745 posts
286 upvotes
Toronto
webshark wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 4:06 pm
Lenny!!! Lenny! Where is Lenny!!!!

Probably the greatest mission in the history of video games.
You want a fight? Let's.... get into a chorus line and high kick?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8486 posts
1159 upvotes
Victoria
webshark wrote:

haha definitely... that's the mission that pulled me into the game. I hope there's more just as good :)
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17206 posts
1622 upvotes
Space for rent
Redmask wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 3:36 pm
If you're on foot and have your gun drawn, you can double tap L1/Left Shoulder to do a little gunslinger twirl before you holster your gun. Most important tip in the game right there :)
Is there a way to toggle shoulder view when gun is drawn like GTA, max Payne, ect?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
didn't see any graphics option in the One X version on a 1080p display so just assumed it was running 1080p

but according to Digital Foundry it's still downsampling from 4K...it looks glorious on a plasma...you can see the snow have glistening bits

are you guys playing first person view or native 3rd person?

even though it's my first xbox game ever, the controls really do suck

the game is slow burn but super cinematic. Hard to believe they're the same guys that made GTA III...Rockstar has come a long way!
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
sounds like you should just buy an xbox and replay the original in 4K
I tried playing Undead Nightmare on PS3 few years ago and my eyes cannot believe how poorly it has aged...muddy textures, what is anti-aliasing basically non-existent

anyways, back to this game, they're trying to add some depth to it and it's not your cup of tea
your opinion is that it's not fun (subjective)

but you haven't said a thing in your long paragraph with arguments on why you can't fathom the widespread sentiment (lol strong words) and agree with it
because you're likely not noticing the little details they put in

Mykolas wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 10:45 pm
I can't fathom the sentiment that RDR2 represents a leap forward - the game is boring and will be traded in to EB within the 30-day bonus period for sure. I don't mind the busywork at camp so much since it can be avoided, but the whole system of 'cores' to maintain stamina, health and dead eye is annoying. Hunting, which used to be fun in the first Red Dead, is no longer fun at all and takes forever. Your horse can only carry one carcass at a time, fast travel is limited, the horse won't stay on the road without guidance, and the distances between interesting points is at least 5 minutes in real-time horse riding.

The whole auto-aim and dead eye system makes gun battles cumbersome and unexciting; the game constantly unequips my chosen weapons leaving me with just a handgun; character walking speed is somewhere between snail and turtle; looting requires a long-button-press every single time, and even identifying where lootable containers are requires walking around and around. I don't know what the reviewers see in this game but it is seriously lacking in fun factor.

I'd like to say I will focus on the story missions and try to finish the campaign, but even that is so uninspiring I simply couldn't care less what happens to these guys. Almost every mission is scripted to the nth degree, so player freedom is very limited. Compared to games like Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, or Witcher where you approach the objective however you want, I find being hemmed in like in RDR2 far from a leap forward.
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7274 posts
2034 upvotes
The PS3 version of Red Dead Redemption 1 is 640p native resolution compared to the Xbox 360's native 720p.
That is why the PS3 version looks blurry as if the image quality was smeared in Vaseline.

The PS4 Pro runs Red Dead Redemption 2 at 1980x2160p. About half the pixel count of true 4K. That is why the XBox One X
looks a lot better at 4K than the PS4 Pro running Red Dead Redemption 2.

I am playing both versions of the game (on XBox One X and PS4 Pro) but I am doing the gold bar duplication trick on both before it gets patched out to save time.
twitchyzero wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 4:30 am
sounds like you should just buy an xbox and replay the original in 4K
I tried playing Undead Nightmare on PS3 few years ago and my eyes cannot believe how poorly it has aged...muddy textures, what is anti-aliasing basically non-existent

anyways, back to this game, they're trying to add some depth to it and it's not your cup of tea
your opinion is that it's not fun (subjective)

but you haven't said a thing in your long paragraph with arguments on why you can't fathom the widespread sentiment (lol strong words) and agree with it
because you're likely not noticing the little details they put in
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4996 posts
3260 upvotes
Vancouver
I unfortunately have to agree with the people who say this game is too complex.

My favourite game of all time (and I think the best game ever made) is Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for N64. The only thing that has changed since 1997 really is the graphics. Gameplay abilities haven't changed much.

Compare RDR2 to Zelda Ocarina of Time and you see how simple the gameplay was in Zelda compared to how complex it is in RDR 2. That's the best way I can describe why I am not a huge fan of RDR 2.

I will say, if I put a lot of effort into RDR 2 and played it for 50 or 60 hours where the gameplay became natural instinct, then it would be more fun, but the problem is slugging it through to get to that point. It's kind of boring.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 6:03 pm
The PS3 version of Red Dead Redemption 1 is 640p native resolution compared to the Xbox 360's native 720p.
That is why the PS3 version looks blurry as if the image quality was smeared in Vaseline.
I am doing the gold bar duplication trick on both before it gets patched out to save time.
you can see the difference between 640p and 720p upscaled to a 1080p @ 50"?
I doubt it

there will come to a point in the main missions where you have to grind to have enough money?
adamtheman wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 3:23 am
Compare RDR2 to Zelda Ocarina of Time...
that right there is the issue

you're comparing a fantasy JRPG from 20+ years ago to a modern Western-themed sandbox (albeit with some RPG-like elements) title

the only real connection is open-world, that's it.

would you compare The Lion King to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly or Deadwood?
Russell wrote:

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7274 posts
2034 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 4:40 am
you can see the difference between 640p and 720p upscaled to a 1080p @ 50"?
I doubt it
For Red Dead Redemption 2 I switch between the PS4 Pro and XBox One X Red Dead Redemption 2 on the same 4K TV I use and the difference is
immediate.

For Red Dead Redemption 1 on last gen consoles:

Upscaling native lower resolutions to higher ones makes the differences even more noticeable.
I did a screenshot comparison between the PS3 and 360 versions earlier this year.
In addition to that, the PS3 version has a less foliage in general and struggles with framerate more than the 360 version.

XBox 360:

PS3:

Last edited by XFactor11 on Nov 4th, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7274 posts
2034 upvotes
After Arthur has too many drinks and starts seeing most people in the saloon as Lenny (Ynnel?), if you go up to the pink room on the second floor, the naked prostitute and the old man
are replaced with Lenny and a naked woman with Lenny's face Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes.

webshark wrote:

Last edited by XFactor11 on Nov 4th, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7274 posts
2034 upvotes
Is anyone trying to max out the Honor meter side? That is much harder to do than maxing out the Full Outlaw side.

Even in the story mission you and your gang are often killing, and robbing innocent civilians so I guess it makes sense for the character to act as a Full Outlaw instead of a
selectively honorable bandit in the side missions or random encounters.

The artificial intelligence will remember your clothes, horse, and face and will be able to positively identify you if you do not have a disguise.
Therefore, when robbing or committing murders as Arthur, hide your horse, have a bandit outfit on your horse set aside and wear a full mask.

I went to collect the debts for the loan shark in one of the story missions, where you try to collect the money from a woman and her boyfriend steps in.
A fight ensued and I choked the guy too long and he died and she ends up crying over his death and it resulted in a warrant and a bounty.
I loaded up a save file and beat him unconscious instead. When I looted his body there were eyewitnesses so I also picked up a bounty (forgot to put on disguise or loot them away from bystanding).

Then there is also that old frail family man guy that really doesn't have any money,
but he can't take a punch so he can die if you beat him repeatedly instead of using Threaten.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
thanks for comparison...yep RDR on PS3 hasn't aged well

but grinding/farming is necessary for main missions?
twitchyzero wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 4:40 am
there will come to a point in the main missions where you have to grind to have enough money?
Russell wrote:

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7274 posts
2034 upvotes
I am using the gold bar duplication trick now since it will probably be patched out.
It definitely is not necessary but I am doing it to buying the entire catalog of unnecessary stuff like additional clothing pieces, camp ground decorations, horses, stable upgrades, etc
on both the XBox One and PS4 versions.

It would just save time instead of earning it through the side activities because the gold bars give $1500 for 4 minutes of time spent getting to them.
twitchyzero wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 2:42 pm
thanks for comparison...yep RDR on PS3 hasn't aged well

but grinding/farming is necessary for main missions?