Red Dead Redemption 2 - Game Discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 9:15 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
ok I might need some then

i realize I only have one autosave, and that bounty doesn't clear when you die unlike GTA wanted stars lol

racked up so much in bounty...I saw a surrender option earlier but after a like the 5th wanted I walked up to the sheriff's office and they were still shooting at me unarmed
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Jul 23, 2008
809 posts
155 upvotes
I got the first on on my old ps3, I played it for maybe 3 hours 4 years ago, Should I play it before playing RDR 2 ?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6350 posts
1850 upvotes
tostaky wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 9:04 am
I got the first on on my old ps3, I played it for maybe 3 hours 4 years ago, Should I play it before playing RDR 2 ?
RDR2 is a prequel to RDR so you won't get lost. However, playing through RDR first gives you more perspective of the characters in the second game and why certain people turned out the way they did in RDR.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11265 posts
1881 upvotes
This is probably just me, but I played a couple of missions. Probably around 5-6 hours and I'm really not enjoying this game.

There are too many cut scenes and they are too long. It was putting me to sleep. Too much things to take care of (like having to eat, groom, hunt, pick vegetables, maintain camp, the excessive time it takes to go from mission start to the actual mission and the travel back, etc). Sure it adds to the realism, but makes the game really tedious. The controls are janky and unresponsive. Why is the interact button and the aim button the same thing? So many times I'm just trying to interact and I draw my gun at them. The controls were the worst part of GTA 5 and this game is no better. You'd think with all that time between releases, they would fix this. What game still requires you to mash the X button to run? Leave that to Track & Field on the NES in the 80s, not a AAA release in 2018.

Hopefully, nobody is offended by my comments. These are just my opinions. I came in never played RDR and hoping for the GTA experience in the wild west. Multiplayer is probably a different story, but I just can't play the single player anymore. I'll probably sell the game as this is not the game for me.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5167 posts
867 upvotes
calgary
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 11:21 am
This is probably just me, but I played a couple of missions. Probably around 5-6 hours and I'm really not enjoying this game.

There are too many cut scenes and they are too long. It was putting me to sleep. Too much things to take care of (like having to eat, groom, hunt, pick vegetables, maintain camp, the excessive time it takes to go from mission start to the actual mission and the travel back, etc). Sure it adds to the realism, but makes the game really tedious. The controls are janky and unresponsive. Why is the interact button and the aim button the same thing? So many times I'm just trying to interact and I draw my gun at them. The controls were the worst part of GTA 5 and this game is no better. You'd think with all that time between releases, they would fix this. What game still requires you to mash the X button to run? Leave that to Track & Field on the NES in the 80s, not a AAA release in 2018.

Hopefully, nobody is offended by my comments. These are just my opinions. I came in never played RDR and hoping for the GTA experience in the wild west. Multiplayer is probably a different story, but I just can't play the single player anymore. I'll probably sell the game as this is not the game for me.
I found the first 2-3 hours terrible, the controls are indeed sluggish, the gunplay is bad (like could they have no improved this at all from the GTA 3 days?), and I had a tough time getting invested in the characters and story. If you had asked me at that time I'd have agreed with everything you said. But according to the Xbox App I've only played for a grand total of 7 hours but It wasn't until the last couple hours that the game "clicked" for me. The game kind of forces you to play at a slower place, once I embraced that (instead of trying to fight it) the game become instantly more enjoyable.

I think the thing about this game that is so interesting and fun and unique is the world is an actual massive living breathing world where other NPC's all have a life and are out doing their own thing and so all the random encounters feel fun and real and interesting, but its hard to see that after a few hours. Your camp and all the little nagging things you do at it all stop feeling like some unnecessary and annoying inclusion and add to that expeirence.
It makes other open world games feel so shallow and empty.
Aug 20, 2009
7126 posts
1822 upvotes
Grimsby
The beginning of the game opens like molasses but its deliberately paced for a reason. They slowly introduce you to all of the mechanics, get you used to them before turning you loose. You don't have to spend a lot of time grooming, eating, etc. Those are just the various gateways to gameplay mechanics like restoring health and get you more invested in the world building.

The control scheme is vintage Rockstar, love it or hate it. Personally I hate it but I love the game so much I just put up with it. Removing the dead zone and adjusting sensitivity helps a lot. I just wish the game would stop with the auto-equip/unequip nonsense every time you get off a horse, I am constantly tweaking my loadout to the point where its frustrating.

The encounters, the hunting and the general gameplay beats are all fantastic and worth staying for IMO but its certainly not for everyone.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7013 posts
3269 upvotes
Toronto
Rockstar games have always been a bit slow to start. A good chunk of the first few hours of GTA V was towing cars and running errands. That game never really got going either until the first heist if not later.

The controls feeling unresponsive probably has more to do with the performance on consoles than the game itself. The PS3/360 releases of Max Payne 3 and GTAV also felt sluggish and unresponsive while the PC releases feel smooth and snappy in comparison. Rockstar aren't like Naughty Dog where they probably spend tons of time doing what they can to ensure the game looks and feels as good as possible at 30fps.
Aug 20, 2009
7126 posts
1822 upvotes
Grimsby
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 1:04 pm
Rockstar games have always been a bit slow to start. A good chunk of the first few hours of GTA V was towing cars and running errands. That game never really got going either until the first heist if not later.

The controls feeling unresponsive probably has more to do with the performance on consoles than the game itself. The PS3/360 releases of Max Payne 3 and GTAV also felt sluggish and unresponsive while the PC releases feel smooth and snappy in comparison. Rockstar aren't like Naughty Dog where they probably spend tons of time doing what they can to ensure the game looks and feels as good as possible at 30fps.
By default the control setup has some jank but I don't think its FPS related. It's bindings not making sense, 3 different buttons used to pick things up, the item wheel feeling like a game of Twister, the game constantly changing your loadout, etc. The FPS is a pretty steady 30 and a non-issue for the pace of the gameplay. I'm sure 60 would feel better but its not related to control complaints, at least to me anyway. I had the same issues as joey but was able to address some of them by adjusting the sensitivity and reducing the absurdly large default dead zone. The latter there really makes the gunplay feel off IMO.

I guess to be fair though, I haven't played it on the older base consoles. Perhaps its a different experience there, no clue. Reviews say it was pretty well optimized though.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11265 posts
1881 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 1:04 pm

Couldn't disagree more.

GTA V starts off in the past where you rob a bank, get in a shoot out with cops and go on a high speed chase. Then you play as Franklin racing cars and then repo-ing Michael's son's car. Then as Michael and Franklin chase down a boat being towed. The first few missions were action packed. There's no comparison to RDR2. Where the first few missions are really the same lather rinse and repeat with spending way too much time to get to a destination, have a shoot out, spend a lot of time getting back (sometimes). The train mission had promise, but once the train stopped it was just a shootout. If you want to talk about side missions, then sure both games had pointless side missions.

Redmask summed it up perfectly about the controls. The consoles have nothing to with it. I played GTA V on PS3 (a lot actually) and it had the same problems there. The controls were still archaic way back then too.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
best advice I have for anyone g etting into RDR and RDR2 is to not approach it like GTA

It's the same type of game but its complete different setting means a different play style

if you're expecting Michael Bay action right off the bat then this is not for you

if you don't enjoy slow burn nature of Westerns, this is not for you

this is a deep, engrossing experience. I can understand why there're these criticisms when people today are used to playing high octane games where you jump right into the action and the round lasts less than 15 minutes...we've become conditioned to short bursts of playstyle (ie Spider-Man PS4 starts you off in the middle of a brazen gunfight right in the city...lol WTF it was quite a turn-off...quite cliche)

I might do some bounties and hunt some big games but I'm the type that does 95% main missions and even then this game world is simply incredible

I will agree the controls are awful...no it's a design, not performance related (I've played quite a few GTA games on PC). I can live with the tapping A or X to run...but the shoulder button for interacting and aiming still gets mixed up too easily...and not sure why almost every action requires holding down the face buttons..i feel like they wanna drag out the game just for the sake of it

and the bounty system is very punishing...takes away a bit of the fun
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7547 posts
2197 upvotes
The first two hours of the previous game, Red Dead Redemption 1, was following someone on horseback, herding cows, killing coyotes that were eating crops, and racing a horse.
So far I think Red Dead Redemption 2 is the 2018 game of the year followed up by God of War. Red Dead Redemption 1 had a far slower build up than RDR2.

The character development in RDR2 is a lot more interesting because now the characters Marston has to hunt down in Red Dead Redemption 1 have much more
of a backstory and their personalities are fleshed out.

You can also change the run button to holding down A (Xbox One) or X (PS4) instead of tapping the button in the options.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7013 posts
3269 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 4:32 pm
Couldn't disagree more.

GTA V starts off in the past where you rob a bank, get in a shoot out with cops and go on a high speed chase. Then you play as Franklin racing cars and then repo-ing Michael's son's car. Then as Michael and Franklin chase down a boat being towed. The first few missions were action packed. There's no comparison to RDR2. Where the first few missions are really the same lather rinse and repeat with spending way too much time to get to a destination, have a shoot out, spend a lot of time getting back (sometimes). The train mission had promise, but once the train stopped it was just a shootout. If you want to talk about side missions, then sure both games had pointless side missions.

Redmask summed it up perfectly about the controls. The consoles have nothing to with it. I played GTA V on PS3 (a lot actually) and it had the same problems there. The controls were still archaic way back then too.
I'm just saying GTA V has a decent amount of slow tedious missions and a lot of cutscenes early on as well. Maybe RDR2 really is worse in that regard but I also doubt it would bother me since I'm generally used to their games and most long open world games like this starting out slow and easing you into the action. Horizon Zero Dawn was a lot like that for me.

You guys have gone on to clarify that it's more the layout and control scheme you have a problem with however in regards to specifically it feeling "unresponsive", sluggish, needing to tinker with sensitivity etc, that sounds like the usual input lag that comes with low framerates, especially on the base consoles that frequently dip in to 20s. That sluggish unresponsive feeling has been an issue with every Rockstar console release going back to GTA IV imo. I had an especially hard time with that in GTA V on PS3 and put it down early on. Feels like a totally different game at 60fps and I'm sure this will too
Aug 20, 2009
7126 posts
1822 upvotes
Grimsby
The input lag is fine man, I'm a huge PC gamer and know the difference. You'll just have to try it at a friends or something to see though, not sure what else to tell you. It's the default sensitivity, dead zone and etc that sucks. Once you tweak that the camera pans more freely and so on. Just a bad default setup is all.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8731 posts
1265 upvotes
Victoria
I also no longer remember much of what happened in RDR, because it came out a number of years ago. I recognized John Marston, but I've completely forgotten the other people he hunted down. Maybe it's worth replaying that.

Even with the clunky control system I am enjoying the game. I just captured me a white Arabian horse which is pretty good. Only on chapter 3 so far. Mostly playing any mission in yellow. Sometimes go off task if I run into a question mark or something. Enjoying it so far, but I still give game of the year to God of War :)
Apr 8, 2005
904 posts
599 upvotes
I'm going to create a street racing game set in Ontario - it's going to be amazing. The graphics will be jaw-dropping, and the world will be populated with dozens of lifelike people: sports figures, executives, retail workers, panhandlers, you name it; their antics will be hilarious.

You'll run missions in places like Ottawa, Windsor, and Sault Ste Marie - of course, you'll have to drive there in real-time to preserve the authenticity of the game. Just to mix it up though, I'm going to make the left trigger the gas, and the right trigger the brake. And you'll need to pulse the gas to keep the car going. Like any car, it'll require maintenance, so you'll periodically need to change the oil, rotate the tires, add windshield washer fluid, check tire pressure, and change burned out signal lights. It'll be super-realistic and fun.

Of course, any racer needs to stop and eat and stay hydrated; wouldn't want to pass out mid-race. I also plan to have a street race mission from Toronto to Barrie, but you must stick to Hwy 27 - if you take Hwy 400 you'll fail the mission. My game is open world though. Oh and don't worry - you can buy shop upgrades to add fast travel later in the game: one way only.

I expect this game will get 10/10 reviews from every single game review outlet: it's obvious how amazing and ground-breaking it is. Should have game of year wrapped up, if not best game of this generation. Anyone who doesn't like it must be fast-twitch, and should go back to CoD where they belong - losers.