Red Dead Redemption 2 - Game Discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 9:15 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5167 posts
867 upvotes
calgary
The game is cool as hell and incredibly well done but it has so many little nagging issues, sometimes it feels like a game made in 2003.

If you asked me its a solid 8.0, granted Im still at the point where Im finding new systems and things to do, I'm not disappointed with my purchase (okay maybe a bit disappointed that I paid full price) but it's not doing it for me like a lot of other highly rated games. The story is so wonderfully assembled, the graphics are incredibly, the open world is magnificently done but their is absolutely nothing rewarding about the gameplay here, like its downright frustrating at times with the lock on aim and the insta-fail missions and for me that is such a big thing to miss on.

But then again I find this to be an issue with most open world games. There has been many highy rated and highly thought of games that have released this generation that I just bounced off of because of this same reason.
Apr 8, 2005
904 posts
599 upvotes
zod wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 1:23 pm
Kinda of trying to finish it now.
That's me too except 'kinda' is more like 'can't really be bothered to suffer any longer at this point.' If Rockstar would patch the movement speed, fast travel, bounty, and horse-too-far-away issues I might be more interested in playing. Control issues would be nice but unlikely given how embedded they are in the game. Same with forced mission scripts - will need to wait for their next game before that gets addressed. Of course, with sales like they are seeing for this game, I doubt they'll make any changes for future games unfortunately.
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 2:17 pm
If you asked me its a solid 8.0,.... (okay maybe a bit disappointed that I paid full price)... but their is absolutely nothing rewarding about the gameplay here, like its downright frustrating at times with the lock on aim and the insta-fail missions and for me that is such a big thing to miss on.
The hype is so strong with this game. I mean even poor SpicY here says gameplay has nothing rewarding and is downright frustrating; he has buyer's remorse and STILL gives it an 8.0? I mean guys, this is the definition of hype right here. It's so tough to stand against the crowd and judge honestly, and I don't blame SpicY at all - just look at the critic scores and the hundreds of 10/10 user scores on metacritic. Despite flaws in the actual gameplay itself, tons of people are falling all over themselves to rate this game with a perfect score.
twitchyzero wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 2:07 pm
I believe the game is worth the full price tag on production value alone. You have to do it justice and play it on the One X (rendered at 4K) with a plasma/OLED though. Sorry if the last statement comes off a little high horse.
In Ontario this game is just over $90 with tax, and for most people 'production value alone' isn't enough to justify a purchase. If a game can't be enjoyed in 1080p then 4K is not going to save it. Also, for you 4k HDR owners out there, have you played with the 'Insects' tech demo? It's impressive and all, but if anything I was disappointed that 4k and HDR didn't bring more to the table. The jumps from 480p and 720p to 1080p were way more impressive than the move to 4k. These days you'd be crazy not to buy a TV that wasn't 4k HDR capable, and it is nice to have, but games shouldn't need 4k to justify their purchase. Hell, 4K gaming is barely even a thing in the PC world, and they've always had the most hardcore gaming community.

RDR2 seems to be enjoying a popularity boost due to technology alone. You could draw parallels with the movie Avatar. It's still the #1 worldwide box-office grossing movie at $2.79 billion, a full 27% more than even the second place contender (Titanic.) Is Avatar the best movie ever made? Is it anyone's 'desert island' choice? Like a lot of people, I enjoyed seeing the movie for the 3D effects, and it was $18 well spent for that reason. But I don't think many people can justify the price of a new video game using similar logic.

People can love RDR2 all they want, and I have no problem with it. For tons of Canadians looking at Black Friday specials or Christmas tree purchases though, I'd say look elsewhere. For my money, Assassin's Creed Odyssey has provided the most solo entertainment this season, and while I'm not a fan of the series, I do hear the new Call of Duty Black Ops 4 has revitalized its multiplayer significantly. And of course Fortnite, haha.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7547 posts
2197 upvotes
As for the jump to 4K and HDR, it is outstanding if you compare it to regular 1080p blu rays. I
use a LG OLED and the boost in quality from 4K UHD blu-ray movies is substantial in both image quality, colours and sound.

There is fast travel when you buy it ledger in the first camp the gang settles in near Valentine.

I really like this game. There are a lot of side things to do like see a show, catch better horses, play Texas hold'em Poker, etc.
You can't really name any other game that is set in a Western setting that is this good, except for Red Dead Redemption 1.

Arthur is a mean bastard but charismatic at the same time. I like how that German guy you beat up to repossess the money says Noooooo. NOOOo. NOooooO
in an exaggerated accented voice when you take his cigarettes and Arthurs reaction is pretty funny.

There are many neat story or world building events like the Lenny saloon mission that
really stand out as memorable game moments. It is kind of a parody of the press X to yell "SHAWN" or "JASON" moments from Heavy Rain.

There are also big impactful plot events and twists, as you know if you've played Red Dead Redemption 1 that many members of Dutch's large gang do not survive to the events of
Red Dead Redemption 1.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
Mykolas wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 4:49 pm

In Ontario this game is just over $90 with tax, and for most people 'production value alone' isn't enough to justify a purchase. If a game can't be enjoyed in 1080p then 4K is not going to save it. Also, for you 4k HDR owners out there, have you played with the 'Insects' tech demo? It's impressive and all, but if anything I was disappointed that 4k and HDR didn't bring more to the table. The jumps from 480p and 720p to 1080p were way more impressive than the move to 4k. These days you'd be crazy not to buy a TV that wasn't 4k HDR capable, and it is nice to have, but games shouldn't need 4k to justify their purchase. Hell, 4K gaming is barely even a thing in the PC world, and they've always had the most hardcore gaming community.
coughing out $90 for 50 hours of an engrossing Western game that releases maybe once every 5-10 years on average is easily worth it
When's the last time you played one? Call of Juarez from 2013? RDR1 from 2010? This is also the biggest production in the medium to-date. To me that brings a lot of value as the options in the world are almost limitless (doesn't mean i'm gonna do every bounty, hunt every game) but most importantly the attention to details is second to none
I guess if you play dozens of games each year and on a student budget, $80 game stings. I at best only play a few each year as I've little time for gaming these days (and I rarely pay retail...in RFD fashion I typically wait for steam sale 85%+ or < $10...I still stand by that this is worth every penny at retail)
if you don't like it on a vanilla PS/XBOX, then you likely wont like it on a better console. Nothing wrong with that as long as you went in with the appropriate mindset that you're not gonna just jump in a gunfight, fast travel, rinse and repeat.
my post previously mentioned nothing about 4K HDR, I was talking about emissive displays and with so much contrast in the game, it really shines on a plasma/OLED...afaik HDR is kinda broken out of the box for this game
AC has come a long way (I was crazy about 1 & 2) but they simply are not in the same league as modern Rockstar games
bringing multiplayer games to the discussion, no just..no.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9124 posts
257 upvotes
But ofcourse, I get a freaking bug on the last mission of the last chapter in the freaking game. I can't move forward, anyone have a similar bug? Already tried replaying the mission from a save, no dice :(
it's me ramin.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
that blows, i have a similar but much minor problem, i've racked up quite the bounty in one town but i only have an autosave lol

off-topic Edgar from 24 in your profile pic? wow someone is stuck in 2003 haha
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8731 posts
1265 upvotes
Victoria
I accidently left my white arabian horse to close to the railway track when going into to pay off my bounty. Took forever to to bond with it. Then I hear this horrific noise while paying off my bounty. Find it dead outside on the walkway :(

Luckily I was able to load my autosave.....

This game has so many random ways to mess your stuff up :(
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6350 posts
1850 upvotes
I started playing this game over the weekend and holy crap it's amazing! So far it's overwhelming how much there is to do/see.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9124 posts
257 upvotes
Wait until online starts up!!
it's me ramin.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3498 posts
2120 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I feel overwhelmed by all the things you have to do. Luckily there are reminders here and there so you don't completely starve yourself. Gonna take a few months for me to finish this game for sure.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9124 posts
257 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 3:17 am
that blows, i have a similar but much minor problem, i've racked up quite the bounty in one town but i only have an autosave lol

off-topic Edgar from 24 in your profile pic? wow someone is stuck in 2003 haha
Edgar Stiles Speaking! 2005 bro! I haven't changed it since. He died during that gas attack on CTU HQ.

Lol I was able to get past the point in my end mission by choosing the other "option". Interesting to play the Epilogue now. I can't wait for online play!
it's me ramin.
Aug 20, 2009
7126 posts
1822 upvotes
Grimsby
B0000rt wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 11:00 am
Edgar Stiles Speaking! 2005 bro! I haven't changed it since. He died during that gas attack on CTU HQ.

Lol I was able to get past the point in my end mission by choosing the other "option". Interesting to play the Epilogue now. I can't wait for online play!
Jack Bauer Power Hour is dearly missed in our household. 24: Legacy was so disappointing.

On topic: I got my Legend of the East Satchel and man, totally worth it. The hardest pelt to find was not the iguana like I thought it would be, it was the damned badger. Took forever. Kill every badger you come across and get it done early. Oh and always do a manual save after getting a perfect pelt, just trust me. Nothing sucks more than finally getting one and then getting ambushed or something and losing it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7547 posts
2197 upvotes
The dappled black thoroughbred that comes with the Special Edition is a really good horse too.
It comes as a pre-order bonus and it respawns in the stable for free if you accidentally get it killed and have no horse reviver tonic. Or you can simply reload a save slot.

Civilians keep on making fun of you if you wear the bear hat. Shot one of them and got a bounty.
You can also surrender to a sheriff or bounty hunter to get rid of a bounty instead of paying it off in full if your wanted level is not at the point where they
shoot to kill, but you do time in the cell.

zod wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 11:04 am
I accidently left my white arabian horse to close to the railway track when going into to pay off my bounty. Took forever to to bond with it. Then I hear this horrific noise while paying off my bounty. Find it dead outside on the walkway :(

Luckily I was able to load my autosave.....

This game has so many random ways to mess your stuff up :(

Redmask wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 11:11 am
Jack Bauer Power Hour is dearly missed in our household. 24: Legacy was so disappointing.

On topic: I got my Legend of the East Satchel and man, totally worth it. The hardest pelt to find was not the iguana like I thought it would be, it was the damned badger. Took forever. Kill every badger you come across and get it done early. Oh and always do a manual save after getting a perfect pelt, just trust me. Nothing sucks more than finally getting one and then getting ambushed or something and losing it.
Jan 10, 2009
819 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 5:43 pm
Civilians keep on making fun of you if you wear the bear hat.
Hosea keeps telling me I look stupid if I wear the pirate tricorn hat. He however doesn't bat an eyelid at me wearing a Viking helmet.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8731 posts
1265 upvotes
Victoria
XFactor11 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 5:43 pm
The dappled black thoroughbred that comes with the Special Edition is a really good horse too.
It comes as a pre-order bonus and it respawns in the stable for free if you accidentally get it killed and have no horse reviver tonic. Or you can simply reload a save slot.
I used that one because it was free in the stable. It's main issue is the health bar. That caused me to accidentally dispose of them a little too often. The Stamina on it was pretty low too (meaning you wore it out on long journey's). The Arabian horses are amazing. They go really fast, loads of stamina, and lots of health (decreasing the odds of accidentally harming one). You can get the white one right away in chapter 2. It roams wild by a lake in the northern part of the map. You can capture it for free. You can get the black one from the stable in St. Denis. Apparently there's an even better one once you get to blackwater. I've only accidentally disposed of my Arabian once since I got it, and that was because I parked to close to the train track :(