• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2019 3:55 pm
Feb 22, 2016
83 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 2:36 pm
The game is cool as hell and incredibly well done but it has so many little nagging issues, sometimes it feels like a game made in 2003.

If you asked me its a solid 8.0, granted Im still at the point where Im finding new systems and things to do, I'm not disappointed with my purchase (okay maybe a bit disappointed that I paid full price) but it's not doing it for me like a lot of other highly rated games. The story is so wonderfully assembled, the graphics are incredibly, the open world is magnificently done but their is absolutely nothing rewarding about the gameplay here, like its downright frustrating at times with the lock on aim and the insta-fail missions and for me that is such a big thing to miss on.

But then again I find this to be an issue with most open world games. There has been many highy rated and highly thought of games that have released this generation that I just bounced off of because of this same reason.
I haven't tried it yet but this is definitely the vibe I was getting from watching the streams
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7553 posts
2204 upvotes
Thank you for the tip.

I figured out an easier technique for catching wild horses:

When mounting the horse, hold and click down on the left stick and tilt it down.
Then use the right analog stick to balance your character on the horse when it bucks.

zod wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 6:39 pm
I used that one because it was free in the stable. It's main issue is the health bar. That caused me to accidentally dispose of them a little too often. The Stamina on it was pretty low too (meaning you wore it out on long journey's). The Arabian horses are amazing. They go really fast, loads of stamina, and lots of health (decreasing the odds of accidentally harming one). You can get the white one right away in chapter 2. It roams wild by a lake in the northern part of the map. You can capture it for free. You can get the black one from the stable in St. Denis. Apparently there's an even better one once you get to blackwater. I've only accidentally disposed of my Arabian once since I got it, and that was because I parked to close to the train track :(
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1283 posts
491 upvotes
Montreal
I was standing right in front of my horse and I pressed the right button to mount my horse, but instead I hijack a carriage next to me. A witness finds a cop almost instantly, and now every second person in St. Denis is a cop. I accidentally ran somebody over as I was trying to escape, so now the cops are shooting, and they shot down my horse. I had a revive potion, but I was dead before I could figure out how to use it. So I lost my elite horse that cost me $780, dying cost me $75, and I had to pay a $45 bounty.

Screw this game. The old west didn't even have a police force; there was no government presence other than some military outposts.
IBM 701 | germanium diodes | 2000 multiplication or division operations per second | 2048 word memory on 72 tubes, 1024 bits per tube| 38-bit Accumulator | 36-bit Multiplier-Quotient | 2 IBM 726 magnetic tapes - 2x 2 million digit storage
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8740 posts
1268 upvotes
Victoria
The best thing to do when you accidentally cause a bounty, is to get off your horse and go down Elias from platoon style. Not worth fighting back and paying a bigger bounty, nor riding the horse out and losing the horse.

I finished the game today.... Took me a bit to get into it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6353 posts
1851 upvotes
I'm not very far into the game. Just went hunting with Hosea and decided to stay back and try to kill the legendary bear. Got mauled. Was about to go back for it but found some woman whose horse died on her so I ended up rescuing her and taking her back to her hometown (but not without her complaining how long of a ride it was). Dropped her off, was about to head back to the bear site ... only to be held up at gunpoint ... got gunned down and now I don't know where I am on the map haha.
Jan 10, 2009
822 posts
326 upvotes
Toronto
Noobzilla wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 9:17 pm
I was standing right in front of my horse and I pressed the right button to mount my horse, but instead I hijack a carriage next to me. A witness finds a cop almost instantly, and now every second person in St. Denis is a cop. I accidentally ran somebody over as I was trying to escape, so now the cops are shooting, and they shot down my horse. I had a revive potion, but I was dead before I could figure out how to use it. So I lost my elite horse that cost me $780, dying cost me $75, and I had to pay a $45 bounty.

Screw this game. The old west didn't even have a police force; there was no government presence other than some military outposts.
Well it's not the old west. It's 1899, past when the west had ended and civilization has come. That's the point of the game, that the characters are remnants of a past time that no longer exists.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1283 posts
491 upvotes
Montreal
The Canterbury Tail wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 2:40 pm
Well it's not the old west. It's 1899, past when the west had ended and civilization has come. That's the point of the game, that the characters are remnants of a past time that no longer exists.
Arthur complains about how outlaws aren't being tolerated anymore. That his era is coming to an end. That makes no sense because outlaws never were tolerated; they were dealt with by private organizations like cattlemen’s associations, usually by non violent means. There never was a wild west that was replaced by civilization. The western frontier was civilized and by most historical accounts, it was less violent than modern cities. The real violence was done by the US army against the Plains Indians. They were the ones being wiped out.
IBM 701 | germanium diodes | 2000 multiplication or division operations per second | 2048 word memory on 72 tubes, 1024 bits per tube| 38-bit Accumulator | 36-bit Multiplier-Quotient | 2 IBM 726 magnetic tapes - 2x 2 million digit storage
Apr 8, 2005
904 posts
599 upvotes
The Canterbury Tail wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 2:40 pm
My guess is that the police force of 1899 did not have instantaneous notification of infractions happening anywhere in the desert, nor teleportation to the crime in question.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
LOL, yep it's ridiculous how unforgiving it is

did the mission where you clear out Colm's camp and immediately after leaving the house with the stash of money, a calvary shows up within 5 seconds...I put my controller down immediately in hopes of deescalating but they start firing at me immediately

once you have a history of accidentlly shooting someone or running over them with your horse, it's like the equivalent of a 4-star pursuit in old school GTA's

like seriously, why is bounty carried over when you respawn?!
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3821 posts
971 upvotes
Toronto
twitchyzero wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 12:22 am

did the mission where you clear out Colm's camp and immediately after leaving the house with the stash of money, a calvary shows up within 5 seconds...I put my controller down immediately in hopes of deescalating but they start firing at me immediately

once you have a history of accidentlly shooting someone or running over them with your horse, it's like the equivalent of a 4-star pursuit in old school GTA's

The bounties in this game are ridiculous, especially for accidentally doing something like knocking a guy over with your horse :D! I got my first huge bounty because I robbed the crooked backroom of the medicine store in Valentine, and the take I got was way less than the bounty I ended up paying. I hear that there's a better chance of avoiding being identified for a bounty when committing a crime if you wear clothes you'd never worn before.

I'm at a point where I've got a ton of money saved and fully upgraded camp in chapter 3 so I'm ok with paying off some of the bounties when I get them.
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7553 posts
2204 upvotes
Are you playing Red Dead Redemption 2 with Outlaw/Criminal side karma? I am playing towards the honor side and the law enforcement did not arrive until well after I cleared
the important aspects of that mission. I cleared in on both Xbox One and PS4 and both times and no officers were close to where the
shootout occurred. That is the Keiran mission in Chapter 2?

You can also wear a full mask and commit crimes without being recognized as long as you have some sort of face disguise.
Your horse will be recognized by lawmen if it is one you have been seen with before.

There is a story explanation later on as to why law enforcement are on to your whereabouts/actions in RDR2.

twitchyzero wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 12:22 am

Sep 21, 2004
9933 posts
3897 upvotes
Calgary
Noobzilla wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 9:17 pm

LOL exact same thing happened to me. Got up on a carriage by mistake, someone reported the robbery, and next thing I knew was a massive shootout with dozens of dead cops.

Sorry but not sorry. It was a blast to be honest. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2017 posts
456 upvotes
Ontario
Bumped into somebody in Valentine then the sheriff was after me. He shot first so I shot him and his buddies. Then more of his buddies were after me and they killed my warhorse Buck. R.I.P Buck. I escaped luckily.

Later that night I rode into Valentine like William Munny and shot the Sheriff as payback for the murder of Buck. Then I shot up the whole town and rode off. Later I returned to Valentine where the shopkeeper decided to make a few wise cracks so I shot him. Now even the friendly butcher is not so friendly.

Have $500 bounty in every town now and can't even fish in peace without some suicidal bounty hunters showing up.

I love this game....
Aug 14, 2010
531 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
I'm in chapter 4. I was in the middle of going through St. Dennis and some guy was yelling to get my attention, so I stopped to see what he wanted. He was basically asking if I wanted to make some money doing an errand or something, so he said to follow him. I followed him to an alley way, where 4 other guys are waiting for me. I immediately get hit in the head with a gun and I'm KO'ed. Didn't even get a chance to fight back. They robbed me of $700!!! and then I woke up in a graveyard. Man, that was an expensive lesson.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7553 posts
2204 upvotes
You can go back to their location and confront them.
emanon86 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 1:37 pm
I'm in chapter 4. I was in the middle of going through St. Dennis and some guy was yelling to get my attention, so I stopped to see what he wanted. He was basically asking if I wanted to make some money doing an errand or something, so he said to follow him. I followed him to an alley way, where 4 other guys are waiting for me. I immediately get hit in the head with a gun and I'm KO'ed. Didn't even get a chance to fight back. They robbed me of $700!!! and then I woke up in a graveyard. Man, that was an expensive lesson.