Red Dead Redemption 2 - Game Discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 11:35 am
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4119 posts
493 upvotes
finished the campaign...around 40 hours

didn't hook me in until chapter 3, at which point already sunk in more hours than rdr1
bounty/wanted system really is awful, has nothing to do with the story because you don't meet that character until a fair bit into the game...it's just an overly sensitive/broken mechanism
epilogue should NOT have missions irrelevant to the story (i thought the housebuilding was amazing, but bounty hunting to pay off debts? another damn fishing trip? introducing a new gang, like why?)...made the real ending before epilogue seem insignificant
rain falls, eagle flies, wait seriously ? names went over the consultants' heads
fast travel is way too limited
mission variety was great compared to rdr1, but still lots of rinse and repeat of breaking into a place, taking something/someone, escape with enemies chasing you on a horse
i know the point of the story is for dutch to sound like a broken record, but it got tiresome after like the 10th time
where most game are criticized for saving things for DLC, i felt liek this game tried to put what should've been DLC into the campaign...felt too long/drawn out...fatigue was real
frequent texture pop-in even on the One X 4K, character often glitching through, characters still run with arms flinging etc. all the issues carried over since GTA IV from 10 years ago..the RAGE engine is a blessing and a curse...i hope they move on with a new engine for next-gen

don't get the eating/grooming/gun cleaning nannying/chores complaints, never had to do any of those unless it was part of main mission or it was already right in front of my face
horse dynamics, definitely one of the game's polished part/highlights
rdr1 is still the more fun game, and its story is more focused, this is more about getting a taste of this game world
game world is bar none the best in the medium and nothing will come close for a while....rockstar has dethroned naughty dog for the title of my fave studio...8 years wait for this game was worth it, as is the full retail price

all in all, an absolutely engrossing experience, it's too bad sucha small fraction of players will actually have the attention span to see it through (even RDR1 only had like 10% completion rate)...i'll say it again, this is not for the average CoD/GTA gamer...if you can't sit through a long epic motion picture from the 60s that lasts like 4 hours..then this isn't for you
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5078 posts
761 upvotes
calgary
twitchyzero wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 4:07 am
finished the campaign...around 40 hours

didn't hook me in until chapter 3, at which point already sunk in more hours than rdr1
bounty/wanted system really is awful, has nothing to do with the story because you don't meet that character until a fair bit into the game...it's just an overly sensitive/broken mechanism
epilogue should NOT have missions irrelevant to the story (i thought the housebuilding was amazing, but bounty hunting to pay off debts? another damn fishing trip? introducing a new gang, like why?)...made the real ending before epilogue seem insignificant
rain falls, eagle flies, wait seriously ? names went over the consultants' heads
fast travel is way too limited
mission variety was great compared to rdr1, but still lots of rinse and repeat of breaking into a place, taking something/someone, escape with enemies chasing you on a horse
i know the point of the story is for dutch to sound like a broken record, but it got tiresome after like the 10th time
where most game are criticized for saving things for DLC, i felt liek this game tried to put what should've been DLC into the campaign...felt too long/drawn out...fatigue was real
frequent texture pop-in even on the One X 4K, character often glitching through, characters still run with arms flinging etc. all the issues carried over since GTA IV from 10 years ago..the RAGE engine is a blessing and a curse...i hope they move on with a new engine for next-gen

don't get the eating/grooming/gun cleaning nannying/chores complaints, never had to do any of those unless it was part of main mission or it was already right in front of my face
horse dynamics, definitely one of the game's polished part/highlights
rdr1 is still the more fun game, and its story is more focused, this is more about getting a taste of this game world
game world is bar none the best in the medium and nothing will come close for a while....rockstar has dethroned naughty dog for the title of my fave studio...8 years wait for this game was worth it, as is the full retail price

all in all, an absolutely engrossing experience, it's too bad sucha small fraction of players will actually have the attention span to see it through (even RDR1 only had like 10% completion rate)...i'll say it again, this is not for the average CoD/GTA gamer...if you can't sit through a long epic motion picture from the 60s that lasts like 4 hours..then this isn't for you
40 hours? you must have blitzed through it... it took me 65 hours but I did a lot of the side missions since they were quite well done and just as good if not better than a lot of the story missions.

Currently 17% of the people on Xbox and 20% of the people on PS4 have the Achievement/trophy for beating the epilogue. That is higher than I would have thought. I had the exact same thoughts regarding the epilouge, I enjoyed starting a new life, building a house, etc.... but the bounty missions were too much.
Aug 20, 2009
6841 posts
1549 upvotes
Grimsby
I also finished the game over the holiday break thanks in part to having the flu and being able to do little else. RDR2 is an incredible achievement but has a fair amount of flaws. Ultimately the strength of the characters and writing won through despite my issues with many aspects of the gameplay. Arthur Morgan has a great transformation over the course of the story and the gang is mostly very well fleshed out. The games various systems like hunting, gambling, etc were mostly engaging and fun but ultimately feel like disparate elements that weren't blended into a cohesive experience. The mission design felt very samey despite some high points like the Lenny hang out. Ride to this place for 10 minutes, shoot 30 dudes, ride back was way too much of a recurring theme. The story pacing is very odd too, it definitely starts to overstay its welcome and includes a bizarre interlude to an island. The games biggest flaw is the controls though, Rockstar is seemingly wed to this antiquated nonsense where you have to mash a button to accomplish a rote action or use 3 different buttons/holds to use an item. The game is often enjoyable in spite of its best efforts to annoy the player to death with its rigid adherence to Rockstar norms. The open ended nature of the world is often at odds with the missions where even slight deviations give you an instant fail. This is frustrating and Rockstar could do to revisit their mission design. Some of my favorite Rockstar games like GTA3 had very open mission design and could be accomplished a number of ways.

I would also note that the pre-release marketing was out to lunch. None of the long term consequence stuff turned out to be true, NPC interactions were very limited and the random world events don't have anywhere near as much variance as described. They are still fun and engaging for the most part but I started to see through the thin veneer part way through the game.

Despite all of my complaints I had a great time and the game made me feel for the characters in a way that I don't often experience. It really felt like an emotional journey and was definitely worth playing, a once in a generation type experience.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4119 posts
493 upvotes
yeah guarma should've been a dlc...was pretty and fun but felt like a mix of assassin's creed + uncharted more than anything
really didn't understand why you have to hold almost every damn button to get anything done..yet the gun fires so easily = more to your bounty
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 11:01 am
40 hours? you must have blitzed through it... it took me 65 hours but I did a lot of the side missions since they were quite well done and just as good if not better than a lot of the story missions.

Achievement stat says 44h, which is right in line with HLTB's average...but i idled a fair bit so i'm not sure if mine is accurate

i beat RDR1 to 100% completion when I was in college, that was fun esp the hunting. This being a 50h campaign, and gaming time being sucha damn luxury these days, i didn't bother with the stranger/mini-games/bounties etc. If I didn't get a couple days off around Christmas i don't think i would've finished even the main campaign

now off to beat Detroit and Spider-man, then my consoles will collect dust again until next xmas haha
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7892 posts
1309 upvotes
Toronto
Is there a stat in the game that shows how many hours you played?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4119 posts
493 upvotes
nothing in-game
only on xbox under achievements
Russell wrote:

Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2360 posts
729 upvotes
I'm really struggling with finishing this and I love long, detailed narratives. I can't quite put my finger on it, but a lot of this feels just so contrived. There's fatigue setting in, but it's not the same grind fatigue I had with the recent Assassin's Creed titles. Dunno. I'm 50% tempted to just trade it in while EB Games is throwing cash at it.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4119 posts
493 upvotes
if it's not your cup of tea, not point forcing what's meant to be an entertainment
Russell wrote:

Feb 5, 2004
932 posts
52 upvotes
Finshed it in the first couple weeks it came out as I had time off.

Didn't really enjoy it but forced myself to finish since I paid for it.

I really like games with good stories and deep characters with development.

This story of this game is so predictable and simple. It can easily be explained in a few sentences. The characters have zero depth. When you add some clunky controls and pointless tasks it just makes it worse.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6359 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
I already knew this would happen to some extent but at this point even I'm surprised by how many gripes and issues people seem to have with this game despite overwhelming media praise, absurdly high review scores and GOTY awards implying this is some kind of flawless 10/10 game. I find way more value and pay far more attention to opinions from actual players like the ones shared on this page so cheers to you guys for that. This thread is proof yet again that stuff like metacritic and the media in general shouldn't be trusted
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4119 posts
493 upvotes
which big budget game doesn't have a predictable story? most do.

you want a great story, play indies or the last of us...wrong medium to nitpick imo

i agree characters are pretty flat, but i think the focus is more about the gang's dynamic and i thought that was done well

near-pefect reviews/aggregated scores never meant a game is flawless, that's the wrong logic. It just means something about the game was done really well or is considered one of the best in its genre...despite its flaws, it's still a watershed title IMO

the cinematic quality, world variety but most importantly, attention to details is where it shines

anyways, if the game is less than ideal, i'm curious to know which other game series does the Western theme better...which one lets you hogtie bounties? hunt elusive big cats? pick up your hat when you get roughed up?
Russell wrote:

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6359 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
twitchyzero wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:23 am
near-pefect reviews/aggregated scores never meant a game is flawless, that's the wrong logic. It just means something about the game was done really well or is considered one of the best in its genre...despite its flaws, it's still a watershed title IMO
the issue is these media reviews that people take as gospel often fail to even acknowledge flaws like the ones numerous people in this thread have mentioned now. With so many games competing for my time and money I depend on accurate honest reviews and I find those don't exist until 3-6 months after a game has been released
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4119 posts
493 upvotes
only real flaws are the antiquated control scheme and punishing bounty/wanted system...and depending how picky you are, texture pop-ins and framerate slowdowns
almost everything else is too subjective to say definitively if you don't try it yourself

i still think aggregated scores are decent indicators...besides xfactor11 here, they churn through games which may take away the experience but also means their breadth of experience is more insightful than the average gamer that may only play a few games a year

again, if there are better Western games, I'm all ears. If there are other game worlds that are even more living and breathing, expansive and with as much variety, i'm all ears. Bet the studio that did BOTW only wished they had the expertise, talent and resources as Rockstar Games. It's obvious they copied temperature effects from Zelda though.
Russell wrote:

Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7892 posts
1309 upvotes
Toronto
twitchyzero wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 1:18 am
again, if there are better Western games, I'm all ears. If there are other game worlds that are even more living and breathing, expansive and with as much variety, i'm all ears. Bet the studio that did BOTW only wished they had the expertise, talent and resources as Rockstar Games. It's obvious they copied temperature effects from Zelda though.
It's funny you mention BOTW. I remember reading this article about why petting dogs in BOTW was not possible.
https://nintendoeverything.com/zelda-br ... -the-game/

“In the game it seems like you can do anything, but what it really is are all these interlocking systems where you actually have a pretty limited number of actions that can do a ton of different things. So if it came down to something like petting a dog, we would actually have to put in a custom action just for petting a dog that couldn’t really be used for anything else.”

“In terms of design philosophy, it just didn’t fit with how we actually made the game world. It’s actually more about taking a smaller number of actions and using them in as many ways as possible.”
That kind of excuse isn't something that would be used to describe RDR2.

I remember in RDR2 I was scanning the landscape for animals with my binoculars, and in the very very very far distance I spotted two bucks fighting each other with their antlers. I've easily put 100+ hours in this game, and I've only ever seen that happen once. That's the kind of obscure animation that few people will ever see. It's mind boggling the amount of attention and detail they put into this game.
Last edited by appleb on Jan 14th, 2019 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4119 posts
493 upvotes
one video on youtube puts it best regarding the living/breathing world of Rockstar titles

its universe does not revolve around you or your character, you're simply one constituent in their world. NPCs will continue to do their own thing with or without your presence

#deep
Russell wrote: