PC & Video Games

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Game Discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2019 11:18 am
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6931 posts
1822 upvotes
That should not take away from your enjoyment of the game. It is no different than Skyrim or Fallout where you eat food to regain health
and gain improvements to your attributes, stamina, and abilities as you do things naturally.

I don't remember any notable or popular RPGs made in the 90s at all that use a "feed me" mechanic except for maybe The Sims.
Can you name popular games in the 90s that used "feed me" mechanics?
The stuff in Red Dead Redemption 2 is really not much different than the Fallout or Elder Scrolls games made in the current and last gen consoles.

Like in just about all Rockstar games, you are playing as the bad guys, just maybe objectively less bad than a lot of the people you are killing in the game
but there are complete innocents that are killed too.

The story does follow realistic situations where the characters are battling the elements of weather, nature, etc.
Not all games have to be super realistic where you can die if you stand in the cold too long.
JackWhyte wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 7:41 pm
If it was FREE I would, but at $79.99 + tax, I tend to side with the reviewers.

And I ABSOLUTELY DETEST swarmy time-wasting crap like this in any way, and if I am forced to EAT in any RPG it is a guaranteed delete from the HD, as I play games to take a BREAK from the usual "eat-sleep-shower-work-study-go to the bathroom" grind of real life. I want to have fun in the old west, not have to monitor my "hunger levels", "weight", "stamina" etc. specs when I just want to gun down some bad guys. And what makes it all worse is that there is zero realism in any other part of the game - like one reviewer said, he went to the top of a frozen mountain and sat there forever, yet never even got cold or sick, let alone died of hypothermia as he would have in real life.

Anything but the idiotic and tired "FEED ME!" of old school RPGs and I would probably give it a try, but that crap got old in the 90's.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1289 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
I just had a moment where I was driving and John Marston was hanging off the back of a stagecoach (let's just call it that for now, I don't wanna give away spoilers) and I drove too close to a road sign. It hit John right in the head and right off the stagecoach. Funniest thing I've see so far lol.

I wish I had that on video.
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 Case: CM Storm Trooper SSD: 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8305 posts
1063 upvotes
Victoria
I've accidentally ridden my horse into a short cliff. Knocking of the horse and sending me flying... lol.

I found the first chapter a bit tedious. Figuring out the controls, slow moving character etc... It seems to be opening up a bit in chapter 2. Still getting used to the controls. Not quite as intuitive as other games. I may have accidentally trigger my weapon when I meant to talk to someone.. lol.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
1247 posts
308 upvotes
Montreal, QC
mrtvgame wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 1:23 pm
So really then, next gen must have standard 4K at full capacity with HDR at 60fps. Otherwise, do not waste our time.
next gen won't be a constant 60fps. that would be the aim but every game should be 30fps minimum while 4k. next gen should be in 2 years, its going to be 7 years since the release of this gen
Nov 19, 2017
500 posts
1188 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 11:16 am
I've accidentally ridden my horse into a short cliff. Knocking of the horse and sending me flying... lol.

I found the first chapter a bit tedious. Figuring out the controls, slow moving character etc... It seems to be opening up a bit in chapter 2. Still getting used to the controls. Not quite as intuitive as other games. I may have accidentally trigger my weapon when I meant to talk to someone.. lol.
That first chapter was brutal. Felt so restricted and slow. Just got to Chapter 2 myself, so hopefully its better and more free from here onwards.
Jul 14, 2008
240 posts
60 upvotes
Montreal
OVOSound wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 5:28 pm
Just got to Chapter 2 myself, so hopefully its better and more free from here onwards.
Oh yes it is. It's one of those rare games that gets better the more you play it. I get how not everybody may enjoy this type of game, but for the love of the bejesus is it a beautifully crafted piece of craft. It's been a long time since I've felt that a game truly represents such a leap forward in a genre.
Apr 8, 2005
890 posts
588 upvotes
I can't fathom the sentiment that RDR2 represents a leap forward - the game is boring and will be traded in to EB within the 30-day bonus period for sure. I don't mind the busywork at camp so much since it can be avoided, but the whole system of 'cores' to maintain stamina, health and dead eye is annoying. Hunting, which used to be fun in the first Red Dead, is no longer fun at all and takes forever. Your horse can only carry one carcass at a time, fast travel is limited, the horse won't stay on the road without guidance, and the distances between interesting points is at least 5 minutes in real-time horse riding.

The whole auto-aim and dead eye system makes gun battles cumbersome and unexciting; the game constantly unequips my chosen weapons leaving me with just a handgun; character walking speed is somewhere between snail and turtle; looting requires a long-button-press every single time, and even identifying where lootable containers are requires walking around and around. I don't know what the reviewers see in this game but it is seriously lacking in fun factor.

I'd like to say I will focus on the story missions and try to finish the campaign, but even that is so uninspiring I simply couldn't care less what happens to these guys. Almost every mission is scripted to the nth degree, so player freedom is very limited. Compared to games like Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, or Witcher where you approach the objective however you want, I find being hemmed in like in RDR2 far from a leap forward.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8305 posts
1063 upvotes
Victoria
I'm starting to get it into it. It opened up in chapter 2 to open world, and I'm getting used to controls. I do agree. They should be a lot more fluid. I don't remember a game in a while where the control (button pushes) seemed so awkward. I did learn you can run by pressing X (and in the settings to have have it toggle run, so you keep running). It really sucks when you lose a horse. Stuck in the middle of nowhere it takes forever to run back somewhere or find another horse. I'm not sure how much hunting I'll do. I find enough provisions doing the missions that it seems kind of optional.

The game is growing in me. I did see a locked stagecoach so I'm wondering if fast travel will unlock at some point. I do agree that some of it is tedious, but some of it is fun. Maybe this won't be one of the games where I need to find everything before I finish.
Aug 20, 2009
6889 posts
1585 upvotes
Grimsby
You unlock fast travel after a few camp upgrades (Dutch's lodgings then the map at arthurs IIRC). The game takes awhile to get going, even after the intro a ton of stuff is locked behind story missions so just press on. I went off the beaten path into hunting and started finding legendary pelts that I can't even bring to the relevant NPC yet because I haven't been introduced to him in the story haha. I try everything and just do the things I find fun and ignore the things I find tedious. I don't like fishing so I just don't do it. Hunting on the other hand is fun so I do a lot of that. The characters are really growing on me after spending some time in camp talking to people, doing missions and whatnot. The game in general is a very slow burn.

The controls definitely are a Rockstar game thing and my only complaint. Everything is weighty and impactful, it was a conscious design choice that's going to resonate with some and anger others who are used to lighter systems in traversal and combat. As someone who struggles with RSI issues I would've preferred they gone with analog stick tilt for locomotion instead of the ancient Rockstar "spam X to run" system. Also they have really hit the limit of usable buttons here and need to refine things for future games. There are so many buttons, hold actions and etc that it gets confusing. I accidentally punched a horse in town, someone reported it to a sheriff. Trying to defuse the situation I hit the wrong button and he pulled on me so I dropped him. It was funny but turned into a significant bounty to pay off.
Nov 10, 2016
595 posts
198 upvotes
BC
Redmask wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 8:03 am
You unlock fast travel after a few camp upgrades (Dutch's lodgings then the map at arthurs IIRC). The game takes awhile to get going, even after the intro a ton of stuff is locked behind story missions so just press on. I went off the beaten path into hunting and started finding legendary pelts that I can't even bring to the relevant NPC yet because I haven't been introduced to him in the story haha. I try everything and just do the things I find fun and ignore the things I find tedious. I don't like fishing so I just don't do it. Hunting on the other hand is fun so I do a lot of that. The characters are really growing on me after spending some time in camp talking to people, doing missions and whatnot. The game in general is a very slow burn.

The controls definitely are a Rockstar game thing and my only complaint. Everything is weighty and impactful, it was a conscious design choice that's going to resonate with some and anger others who are used to lighter systems in traversal and combat. As someone who struggles with RSI issues I would've preferred they gone with analog stick tilt for locomotion instead of the ancient Rockstar "spam X to run" system. Also they have really hit the limit of usable buttons here and need to refine things for future games. There are so many buttons, hold actions and etc that it gets confusing. I accidentally punched a horse in town, someone reported it to a sheriff. Trying to defuse the situation I hit the wrong button and he pulled on me so I dropped him. It was funny but turned into a significant bounty to pay off.
happened to me as well...
I was just returning a horse (because I need to chase someone) and upon getting off the horse (Y) I might have accidentally pressed B and it punched the horse... the owner ran and the horse got agitated... what a funny scene...
Jul 14, 2008
240 posts
60 upvotes
Montreal
The fact that I've never truly approached video games as "games" may explain why I'm so awed by RDR2, while others are talking about returning it asap.

For 30+ years now playing this medium, I've always been much more into slower games, either strategy or open world, with very little interest for those that make "fun" and "action" front and central. For me a great game is one that makes me live in a setting that I could never experience, whether it's to be a super-planner in Ancient Greece (Civilization series), the super-mayor of a metropolis (SimCity), an explorer in a fantasy world (Skyrim or Witcher), or yeah, a cowboy in the most insane recreation of the Wild West with a ridiculous degree of immersion. I play my games very slowly, and almost never finish them (having two kids does not help).

So for me, RDR2 is absolutely orgasmic. I start playing it and I'm instantly lost in that world; I could not care less whether there could be a more efficient button-press pattern or that moving around is slow. The beauty is in the travel, not only the destination!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8305 posts
1063 upvotes
Victoria
Turpentine wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 12:44 pm
The fact that I've never truly approached video games as "games" may explain why I'm so awed by RDR2, while others are talking about returning it asap.

For 30+ years now playing this medium, I've always been much more into slower games, either strategy or open world, with very little interest for those that make "fun" and "action" front and central. For me a great game is one that makes me live in a setting that I could never experience, whether it's to be a super-planner in Ancient Greece (Civilization series), the super-mayor of a metropolis (SimCity), an explorer in a fantasy world (Skyrim or Witcher), or yeah, a cowboy in the most insane recreation of the Wild West with a ridiculous degree of immersion. I play my games very slowly, and almost never finish them (having two kids does not help).

So for me, RDR2 is absolutely orgasmic. I start playing it and I'm instantly lost in that world; I could not care less whether there could be a more efficient button-press pattern or that moving around is slow. The beauty is in the travel, not only the destination!
I definitely agree. I think due to some of the issues I struggled to be immersed in chapter 1. Chapter 2 I don't feel like I've done much story wise but I got immersed doing a bunch of the side quests. It really opened up and I'm starting to get the hang of it. It's not so much different than other games. Sometime's it's really tedious to get past the first part, but once you do, it becomes amazing. Also after reading other forums on RDR2. All the random ways you can get hurt (or NPC's can get hurt) are part of the charm of the game :) I'm literally at the point now if I accidentally knock over a towns person I try to flee. If the law get's me, I let them take me down. Better then engaging in a fight and getting a $400 bounty on your head :)
Aug 20, 2009
6889 posts
1585 upvotes
Grimsby
Man I wish I knew the "Hold start to access the map" thing hours ago, sheesh. I think I might just use the companion app on the phone and turn off the HUD/map altogether. Also the toggle X to run in Settings only works on foot but makes a big difference. I had to really play around with the look/aiming sensitivity too, the first 5 hours were awful with the default settings but the game is much better now that I've tinkered with them.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6213 posts
1733 upvotes
My copy still has not shipped from Amazon.ca but while waiting, I'm reading how the install file on this game is over 100 GB. I have a PS4 Slim with a 500GB HD. It's almost full as is. Is the easiest way to get around this to buy an external HD (2TB let's say) and plug it up as an external drive? Any good prices right now? I recall seeing a Seagate drive that was 2TB for $69.99 not too long ago but I missed out on that.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1655 posts
314 upvotes
Ontario
Lenny!!! Lenny! Where is Lenny!!!!

Probably the greatest mission in the history of video games.