• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2018 6:13 pm
Dec 28, 2011
8 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga

Red Light Camera Question

Situation:

Was driving near Bathurst and Steele's, and wanted to turn right at a intersection (while it was red for me). I didn't slow down significantly and turned right at the intersection while it was red.

I saw flashes going off from the camera but I didn't see it go off on the vehicle behind me that did the exact same thing.
I circled back and there wasn't a no turning right at a red light, so I assume it dinged me for turning right without coming to a complete stop?

I can't remember if I saw other cars that it was trying to catch, so I assume it was me..

Anyone know if the camera picks up on things like this?

P.s. it was 3am and it was poorly lit, along with my drowsiness...
3 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2014
1041 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sorry to hear that OP. Sounds like you were just tired and trying to get home. These things happen. Anyways, from what I hear, tickets from red light cameras do no affect your insurance because it can't be proven it was you driving.
Please respond
Jul 17, 2018
372 posts
117 upvotes
Yes, if you enter the intersection on a red to turn right and don't go under a certain speed, you'll get dinged by the red-light camera.

I did the exact same scenario and the camera went off but it captured a guy running a red light. I thought I'd also be in the photo but I never got a ticket in the mail thankfully. They probably reviewed the pictures and determined I was turning so didn't bother.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14185 upvotes
Toronto
You will rightfully get a ticket.

Pro tip: if you are so drowsy that you’re running red lights, stay the F off the roads