• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2013 3:47 am
Tags:
None
Jul 29, 2007
229 posts
19 upvotes

Red Light Camera System Offence Notice

Can anyone have advice for me? What should I do?
24 replies
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
Pay the fine, and stop running red lights?
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
Do the pictures they sent you clearly show you driving the vehicle?
Jul 29, 2007
229 posts
19 upvotes
No just 3 pics, one at the white line, one through the intersection and one with the licence plate.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
I remember reading a post on here where some guy mentioned how he managed to beat the system by arguing in court that he wasn't the one driving.

Don't remember where the link was or else I would post it.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
1549 posts
65 upvotes
if you were caught turning right on red light (without stopping), those are easy to beat.

if you went right through the intersection, well, that's a bit tougher...
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4879 posts
2787 upvotes
Ontario
Exactly what someone already said, can't prove it's you driving so no points. Pay the fine and make sure you don't get nailed for points. Say it was a friend driving or something.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
You don't get hit with demerit points for red light camera tickets, because as mentioned, they don't take photos of the driver (they're not allowed to due to privacy concerns). Just pay the fine, there's no points involved even if you do. You can take it to court but if the photos clearly show you running the red you're going to lose, probably won't have points involved still but you just wasted a lot of time.

Just pay it.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1717 posts
717 upvotes
Markham
Winkle wrote: You don't get hit with demerit points for red light camera tickets, because as mentioned, they don't take photos of the driver (they're not allowed to due to privacy concerns). Just pay the fine, there's no points involved even if you do. You can take it to court but if the photos clearly show you running the red you're going to lose, probably won't have points involved still but you just wasted a lot of time.

Just pay it.
you can prob get the fines reduced, thats about it (if you go to court)
May 23, 2011
759 posts
233 upvotes
It's been said but I'll reiterate, a red light camera ticket cannot be contested on the basis that you were not the one driving. The registered owner of the vehicle is responsible for the fine, regardless of who was driving (unless the vehicle was reported stolen).
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
1862 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
say you had to take a crap? hjahahahah
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
winterslush wrote: Can anyone have advice for me? What should I do?
I believe one course of action is:
- Delay as much as you can
- Ask for a translator
- Throw a temper tantrum that your 11b charter rights are violated
- Ask the camera to testify so you can question it
- Claim they brought a different camera to court to testify

Or you could just be a responsible person by paying the fine and not running red lights in the future. It's really your call.
Sep 9, 2006
95 posts
2 upvotes
I'd love to have some advice as well. I would pay the fine but it's just too expensive, $325.
So I got 2 options, get a trial or Early Resolution(meet with prosecutor). Which one is better if I'm simply look for a reduced fine?
Dec 8, 2007
83 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Just pay the fine, it won't affect your insurance. Even if you do decide to fight, it'll most likely be reduced and you'll still end up with a fine. Ticket fighters will tell you that it's pretty much a losing battle since they have proof showing the exact location of your vehicle when the lights turned from yellow to red. However, this would be a much different case if it was a cop stopping you afterwards...

If you got the time, go to the court and asks for a reduced fine. They'll drop it from say $200 to somewhere from $50-$140 depending on the reason you give to the judge. You can also ask for an extended period of time to pay the fine, ~2months I believe.

When you get there, there'll be a bunch of people doing the exact same thing you're doing, so you don't need to feel intimidated. Some of the excuses I've heard were: student and can't pay the fine, got laid off and looking for job, low on cash etc etc. I'm not telling you to lie to the judge, just give him/her a reasonable excuse and they'll be considerate and try to help you out in some ways.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2002
1738 posts
144 upvotes
North
nahceiknarf wrote: Just pay the fine, it won't affect your insurance. Even if you do decide to fight, it'll most likely be reduced and you'll still end up with a fine. Ticket fighters will tell you that it's pretty much a losing battle since they have proof showing the exact location of your vehicle when the lights turned from yellow to red. However, this would be a much different case if it was a cop stopping you afterwards...

If you got the time, go to the court and asks for a reduced fine. They'll drop it from say $200 to somewhere from $50-$140 depending on the reason you give to the judge. You can also ask for an extended period of time to pay the fine, ~2months I believe.

When you get there, there'll be a bunch of people doing the exact same thing you're doing, so you don't need to feel intimidated. Some of the excuses I've heard were: student and can't pay the fine, got laid off and looking for job, low on cash etc etc. I'm not telling you to lie to the judge, just give him/her a reasonable excuse and they'll be considerate and try to help you out in some ways.
Do they ask who was the driver? Would that not led to a conviction whether you pay 0% or 100% as if you were pulled over by a cop?
Dec 8, 2007
83 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I think the red light camera tickets are tied to your license plate.
So if you let your friend borrow your car and friend runs a red, then the owner is screwed for a $200 ticket.

Let's say your parents lend you the car, or the car is in their name and you're driving it and got a red light camera ticket.
You can go up to the judge and tell your story Judge will let you pay on behalf of your parents.

I think the major difference between getting pulled over by cops and the red light camera tickets is that the cops will issue the ticket to the driver, while the red light camera sends the ticket to the car license owner listed for that plate.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
4118 posts
2270 upvotes
Toronto
Correct nahcei.

Camera tickets are the same as a parking ticket, just a fine. It does show up on the record of the owner of the plates/car but has no negative effects such as insurance rate increase or demerit points. This is because they don't know who was driving the car.

Pay the fine and forget it existed. If the fine is too much or you have nothing to do during the day, go see the arbitrator/prosecuter and they will reduce the fine. If you don't like how much they have reduced it by you can still take it to court after. But it's difficult to win this if they just throw the photos at you.

Best of luck, and stop running red lights.