[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4861 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto

Red Light Camera ticket?

Hey,

Well usually I am not a fan of the ticket threads; but i got a quick question for you guys.

My dad was driving about a week ago; and was following a semi truck; the truck went through the orange light which at the time my dad could not see because of the semi trucks height; and he followed it assuming it was an orange. My dad was trailing maybe 2 seconds behind the semi and in the pictures the semi truck is clearly visible and it can be seen it might have obscurred his view. On the ticket it states that my dad was below the speed limit but he went into the red light 0.3 seconds.

My dad was originally going to pay for the ticket but I just want to get some opinions before he sends the payment in. Here is what I am thinking on the matter of the ticket:

For:
1. Obscurred view of the traffic light by the semi truck
2. Time was only 0.3 seconds

Against:
1. 0.3 seconds is still 0.3 into a redlight
2. Trailing distance could be a factor (although in the picture it looks like a large enough span); they could argue if height was a factor; he should've left a larger gap or changed lanes
3. If traffic light was being obscured; my dad should have stopped before crossing intersection to ensure it was still green?
52 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5861 posts
100 upvotes
unfortunately, u gotta pay it..

u have to drive according to road condition to see all surroundings.. in this case, your dad failed to see the lights because he was being blocked by the semi..

anyway.. these tickets don't even change insurance or count as a conviction.. you guys probably can afford it.. so i don't see why not?

but one thing i noticed.. all the trucks like to run through late yellow lights anyway.. :cry:
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2476 posts
119 upvotes
Plead not guilty.

Ask for full disclosure.Ask to have the person that identified your car to testify against you .

I doubt they will show up and you win.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4861 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
pfbmgd wrote:
Feb 16th, 2008 7:51 pm
Plead not guilty.

Ask for full disclosure.Ask to have the person that identified your car to testify against you .

It was a photo radar camera...

Thanks for the advice Tomy; will probably end up paying for it; just wanted some opinions before he does.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
2769 posts
52 upvotes
pfbmgd wrote:
Feb 16th, 2008 7:51 pm
Plead not guilty.

WTH are you talking about??? Did you read what the OP wrote?

Anyway, this kinda happened to me today, except no red light camera. The point of the ticket is that you dad had enough time to stop for the yellow light. If your dad never saw the yellow light then I guess he's following too closely. But you mentioned that he did see the yellow light at first. I think he probably sped up closer to the semi in an attempt to beat the light (that's what I did today).
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Asad_A203 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2008 7:41 pm
Hey,

On the ticket it states that my dad was below the speed limit but he went into the red light 0.3 seconds.

My dad was originally going to pay for the ticket but I just want to get some opinions before he sends the payment in. Here is what I am thinking on the matter of the ticket:

For:
1. Obscurred view of the traffic light by the semi truck
2. Time was only 0.3 seconds

Against:
1. 0.3 seconds is still 0.3 into a redlight
2. Trailing distance could be a factor (although in the picture it looks like a large enough span); they could argue if height was a factor; he should've left a larger gap or changed lanes
3. If traffic light was being obscured; my dad should have stopped before crossing intersection to ensure it was still green?
Title should be updated to reflect Red Light Camera, not Photo Radar.

Your dad as the driver has a responsibility to keep back far enough from the truck so that his view is not obstructed.

Sensors embedded in the roadway activate the camera after the signal turns red, so he has little defence on this one.

As far as someone showing up, I doubt there is a need for any officer to show up, as the prosecutor would just need to produce the photos taken of the vehicle entering the intersection AFTER the light turned red. I understood that such photos are sent out with the ticket indicating the date, time, location and license plate/vehicle of the offence (at least in Ontario).

From a red light camera faq:
Q Do the cameras photograph every vehicle passing through an intersection?
A The cameras are set so that only those vehicles that enter an intersection after the light has turned red are photographed. Vehicles that enter on yellow and are within the intersection when the light changes to red are not photographed. The program is intended to photograph vehicles that enter an intersection after the signal has turned red.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4861 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
Whitedart wrote:
Feb 16th, 2008 8:09 pm
Title should be updated to reflect Red Light Camera, not Photo Radar.

Your dad as the driver has a responsibility to keep back far enough from the truck so that his view is not obstructed.

Sensors embedded in the roadway activate the camera after the signal turns red, so he has little defence on this one.

As far as someone showing up, I doubt there is a need for any officer to show up, as the prosecutor would just need to produce the photos taken of the vehicle entering the intersection AFTER the light turned red. I understood that such photos are sent out with the ticket indicating the date, time, location and license plate/vehicle of the offence (at least in Ontario).

From a red light camera faq:
Q Do the cameras photograph every vehicle passing through an intersection?
A The cameras are set so that only those vehicles that enter an intersection after the light has turned red are photographed. Vehicles that enter on yellow and are within the intersection when the light changes to red are not photographed. The program is intended to photograph vehicles that enter an intersection after the signal has turned red.
Changed.

Yeah I am pretty sure my dad might have seen the yellow and thought he had time to go through since the semi went through. Do you think it would be any benefit to to go the interesection; and see how long the yellow light is lit for; and determine from that if my dad assumed it was a green and due to the height of the truck and the yellow light; he had no time to stop or if he did he would be causing a larger problem? The time was 0.3 seconds; basically if my dad was driving a smaller vehicle; he would have been alright. I am sure they will still argue about the distance though...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4861 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
chickenbones wrote:
Feb 16th, 2008 8:03 pm
WTH are you talking about??? Did you read what the OP wrote?

Anyway, this kinda happened to me today, except no red light camera. The point of the ticket is that you dad had enough time to stop for the yellow light. If your dad never saw the yellow light then I guess he's following too closely. But you mentioned that he did see the yellow light at first. I think he probably sped up closer to the semi in an attempt to beat the light (that's what I did today).
Well that is what I am thinking; I am not sure exactly if my dad saw a yellow or green; but I will ask him to confirm. I am not sure on how sucessful people have been with fighting photo radar; but if it works somewhat like how youth offenders are sentenced; I think it might be worth a shot :cheesygri .
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4861 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
Well my dad saw an orange light before he trailed the semi; so it was his fault. The interesection I can recall has a very long orange light as well; so my dad really doesn't have a good defense. Thanks for the advice guys.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6692 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
You also kinda gotta drive in a way that a large vehicle in front of you doesn't obscure your view of important things....like traffic lights.

LEAVE ROOM!

I *HATE* people that tailgate me through intersections just to get through yellows/reds.
Dec 11, 2007
458 posts
48 upvotes
Calgary
I've heard that sometimes if you have clean driving record and plead guilty, but explain the situation with the magistrate, he/she may reduce fine or show some mercy and throw out the ticket. It doesn't hurt to try and be sincere and honest when pleading. GL.
Dec 31, 1969
I didn't know they still had those red light camera's. I thought for some reason they got rid of them since I have not seen a camera sign in a so long.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
IoannI wrote:
Feb 17th, 2008 12:22 am
I didn't know they still had those red light camera's. I thought for some reason they got rid of them since I have not seen a camera sign in a so long.
Here are a few locations for you to check out.

Toronto Red Light Camera sites by intersection:

* Allen Rd. & Sheppard Ave.
* Bathurst St. & Finch Ave.
* Bloor St. & Bathurst St.
* Brimley Rd. & Huntingwood Dr.
* Danforth Ave. & Broadview Ave.
* Dixon Rd. & Islington Ave.
* Dixon Rd. & Martin Grove Rd.
* Dufferin St. & Bloor St.
* Dufferin St. & Eglinton Ave.
* Dufferin St. & St. Clair Ave.
* Dufferin St. & Steeles Ave.