Red light camera toronto question

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2017 5:55 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3301 posts
1486 upvotes

Red light camera toronto question

I'm wondering which white line at an intersection counts as being in the intersection. I was traveling south on woodbine today, turning left onto queen. I was past the white line to stop, poking onto the white lines of the pedestrian walkway. When the light turn d amber the car in front of me wasn't paying attention and turned left as it turned red. I was then blocking the pedestrian walkway.

I should have been out of the walkway, that's my fault. But at that point do you complete the left turn or stay in they walkway.
4 replies
Mar 5, 2016
156 posts
62 upvotes
I looked at the intersection on google maps. From what I see there are 3 lines. One thick line - the stop here line, proceeded by a thin line - approximately 4 feet and then another thin line (the pedestrian walk way bordered by two thin lines). Were you passed the second or third white line? entering the intersection? or just blocking the pedestrian walk way?

If you were passed the third line, in the intersection id say youre okay. If you werent passed that third line id say you hadnt entered the intersection yet and a good chance youll get ticketed.

I suppose in the ideal situation you try not to block the walk way to begin with, but most drivers do this. Personally if i knew there was a red line camera I think id just stay put where you are.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3301 posts
1486 upvotes
I will totally own this, I should have been further back. I was past the second line but not the third. Traffic was light coming from the opposite direction and I thought it would be an easy turn. Why I made the decision to turn is because there were lots of people waiting to cross and there was a car behind me so I couldn't reverse.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Intersection as defined in the Ontario HTA:

“intersection” means the area embraced within the prolongation or connection of the lateral curb lines or, if none, then of the lateral boundary lines of two or more highways that join one another at an angle, whether or not one highway crosses the other; (“intersection”)

The furthest white line is the prolongation of the curb lines as looking at Google Maps of that intersection.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3301 posts
1486 upvotes
Lesson learned. I will be way more careful.

I was traveling south, turning east. The red light camera is on the south west corner, facing east. It doesn't face the red light I was turning on so based on what I'm reading online whether a get a ticket or not is a toss up. If I do, I will just pay because I was in the wrong.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)