• Nov 27th, 2011 2:04 pm
Tags:
None
May 22, 2006
305 posts
14 upvotes
Montreal

red ring in toilet?

i just moved to a new (new construction) house and noticed that in my toilet bowls, a red ring forms where the water line is. I cleaned it out easily, then in two weeks in forms again. What is this? does this mean there is too much iron in my water?
Is this dangerous? I would assume that it is also in my drinking water too then.Any thoughts? thanks
35 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2001
5275 posts
31 upvotes
You don't indicate what city. Stouffville has very hard water.
Sounds like iron buildup.

Clean carefully with CLR as best you can. Residual iron deposits in the bowl act like magnets to attract ..ie more iron....and perhaps other elements of hard water.
:twisted:
Aug 22, 2003
15531 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I sounds like iron to me. It's not dangerous in the drinking water (depending on the levels of course) but it can cause havoc with plumbing pipes, fixtures and appliances like your washing machine. You'll start to notice the "rust" stains in toilets, tubs and the washing machine when bleach is used the stains can transfer to clothes. You need to find out wether it's ferrous iron or ferric iron. Anyplace that sells/rents or installs water softner systems can test the water for the level and recommend the right equipment to deal with it. In our case our well water was so high in iron that we needed a seperate iron removal system along with a water softner...
Dec 24, 2003
126 posts
Bagota
I noticed this as well, i'm in northwest Brampton.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
1257 posts
229 upvotes
Oakville
If it's oakville area, it's probably clay sediments.
Jan 14, 2007
901 posts
66 upvotes
If it comes off easily when you clean it, it's probably iron bacteria.
[OP]
May 22, 2006
305 posts
14 upvotes
Montreal
i live in laval, quebec ( suburb off montreal).

Iron bacteria....what is that?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5669 posts
161 upvotes
GTA
Tami wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2007 3:17 pm
I noticed this as well, i'm in northwest Brampton.
I noticed this too and I'm in SouthEast Brampton. Kind of has me thinking that I should invest in a water softner/purifyer. I'll probaly go with CSK'sMom's advice!!!!

sk
Aug 22, 2003
15531 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Bacterial iron is just another form of iron in the water. It's bacterial in nature as the name suggests redsilk.

Sunny, just do your research if you choose to install a softner and/or other water treatment equipment. Let them all come and do the water testing, then research like crazy with the numbers in hand. We really miss our water softner and will probably end up putting a system in the house.
Oct 31, 2002
996 posts
30 upvotes
Waterloo
Let's say redsilk was to go on vacation for a month and nobody was home to clean the red ring, would it leave a permanent stain?
May 12, 2005
656 posts
26 upvotes
Markham
Ironballz wrote:
Aug 25th, 2007 1:23 am
Let's say redsilk was to go on vacation for a month and nobody was home to clean the red ring, would it leave a permanent stain?
No. It comes off with toilet bowl cleaner and a brush. I went away on vacation for a few weeks and noticed this in my toilets - quick scrub and it was all gone.
Oct 31, 2002
996 posts
30 upvotes
Waterloo
fortunekitty500 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2007 5:57 pm
No. It comes off with toilet bowl cleaner and a brush. I went away on vacation for a few weeks and noticed this in my toilets - quick scrub and it was all gone.
thanks fortunekitty. Now I don't have to worry when I go on vacation :)
Jun 14, 2005
36 posts
1 upvote
Victoria
Similar thing in Victoria. We have lived here for years, but just since moving into our new house, my wife has been pointing this out to me (I actually looked for it today and found it in our shower. I wonder if the copper piping in the older houses produced something that is toxic to it and that's why we didn't see it before. Any other ideas?
Mar 25, 2003
775 posts
1 upvote
Binbrook
We get it in our new house in Binbrook, ON and we even have the PEX Piping, not Copper.
× < >