Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2005
1297 posts
3 upvotes

redbook magazine scam

I received a bill yesterday from a company called 'The Hearst Corporation'
telling me i owe them 20$ for a magazine subscription to 'redbook'. There is no call back number, there is no information on it other then...

"P.S. To pay online, go to pay.redbookmag.com"
or..
"please enclose your check with the invoice below and return it in the pre-addressed envelope. Thank you again."

The address on the envolope is not the same as the address of the 'herst company" located at Red Oak. Iowa.

The address on the envolope is "po box 6004 SN industrial Park. Markham On L3ROT2" (fishy? or normal practices?)

moving on..

First off, i have no idea what this magazine was, so i went to google it..and its a woman's magazine. As im a male that's 21 years old, and i have no wierd interest in exploring woman's interests i see NO point in ever ordering this magazine even if i was surfing the web in a drunk state of mind (which i dont).

So i did more research and it says..it must have come from a 'HGTV' contest where they leave a 'tick' box ticked..and if u don't untick it, you get automatically subscribed to this magazine (what type of practice is that). As most people that use this forum, i am a contest fan. BUT i do always stop to uncheck the boxes bc i hate to get spam email.

So now wat do i do? clearly im not goin to pay for something i never wanted (ps. it also said i was suposed to get magazines, which i never got - not that i wanted them)
i went to thier site right away and canceled the order. They had all my info already. clearly from a contest entry.

if this is legit..and i dont pay..can they ruin my 'credit record' which i have none..bc i dont have a credit card yet lol.
ADD me on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/baiacontest

Sharing is caring.

My Wins
Share:
11 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3172 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't worry about it. I got the same thing and canceled it.
Sep 26, 2010
1 posts
I got a bill from Redbook as well? I didn't sign up for anything... I don't want them to send this to collections! Did you mail them something asking them to cancel?

Thanks!
Ryan
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
3028 posts
116 upvotes
Call the cops (non-emergency). Sounds like a scam, and sounds like there's an address some kind of fraud division can check out if necessary.
Feb 7, 2011
41 posts
1 upvote
i also received that bill by the mail the other day. it's because of a stupid contest someone posted here. I contacted them several them to cancel my account and they never replied. Anyway they do not have my cc number but still. **** these scammers
Deal Fanatic
May 28, 2002
8279 posts
93 upvotes
Kitchener
It's from a contest entry. I got it too but was successfull by contacting them through their customer service (or email don't remember) and asking them to cancel.
Stop supporting monopolistic companies like Bell and Rogers if you want positive change in the Canadian telecommunications industry.
Aug 15, 2006
90 posts
Mississauga
happened to me as well, thankfully i cancelled my "subscription" before they sent anything all you gotta do is go on their website and cancel it.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2739 posts
194 upvotes
Canadia
Damn Hearst Corporation. They are also responsible for killing the Skiff Reader. Now all we really have are crappy Kindles and ipads.
Jan 17, 2010
275 posts
11 upvotes
Niagara Falls
You entered a contest and didn't uncheck the box beside "Sign me up for my 12 month subscription to Redbook." It's not a scam. Many entries have that on there.
Feb 7, 2011
41 posts
1 upvote
i canceled my account the day i signed up for the contest and sended several emails... got no reply
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6284 posts
442 upvotes
Help me
I got one of those things in the mail as well. This is some shady business practice. If I want to buy something, I will give my payment info upfront. Don't mail me something 2-3 weeks after I signed up for a contest to tell me that I owe them money.
× < >