• Mar 26th, 2013 6:46 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 22, 2013
146 posts
6 upvotes

Redbox.ca

Will Argo and Skyfall be available at Redbox.ca? Both movies are now available at Shaw.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5722 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
Sure, why not!
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Sep 30, 2009
183 posts
36 upvotes
Richmond
I'm sure they will although Redbox doesn't always get them at the same time they hit stores.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2013
146 posts
6 upvotes
I hope Redbox will get them, Redbox has more 'B' movies than box office movies or movies with big names.

I miss movies like The Tall Man (Jessica Biel), The Hunter (willem Dafoe) because Redbox does not stock them.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
2400 posts
557 upvotes
Moncton
Not sure if this applies to Canada, but sounds to me like you will need patience with Redbox.

I usually get my movies from Netflix and The Movie Network, but this week I forked over $12 to watch Skyfall and Argo.

If you have the Internet, you can legally rent them via iTunes, CinemaNow and the PS3 video store (HD version is $6, tax included). I loved Argo. Worth it. Skyfall was less good, but only because my expectations were so high (watched it twice, so I guess I liked it).

If you don't own gaming console, a laptop or an Apple TV box and your desktop is too far from your TV to reach via HDMI cable, remember that with a $50 Apple HDMI adapter, your iPod/iPhone/iPad can play iTunes rented movies on your TV. The resolution isn't perfect, but good enough. Unlike streaming videos with Netflix, you can still download rentable movies with slowish Internet...
Clicking on "Thanks" is appreciated.
Pete_Coach and Armeee are on my ignore list.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2013
146 posts
6 upvotes
Thanks (clicked) for the info on RedBox and the options in renting movies. How is the movie selection on Netflix compared to Redbox? Last month when I looked at the Netflix site, I thought the movie selection at Netflix is about the same as Redbox. I don't see "The Tall Man" or "The Hunter" or "My Week with Marilyn" at Netflix.

The selection at Redbox is awful, they have a lot of "B" movies or movies that flopped at boxoffice:

"B" Movies or movies the news media totally ignore:
Rise of the Zombies
Total Retribution
Hit and Run
Hold Your Breath
Pathfinders
... most movies offered at Redbox belongs to this category.

Movies that flopped at boxoffice or did not get good ratings:
Alex Cross
Cold Light of Day

Boxoffice movies or movies worth renting:
Flight
Awakening
Bourne Legacy
The Possession
The Dark Knight Rises
Total Recall
Trouble with Curve
The Amazing Spiderman
The Avengers
Warhorse
Ghost Protocol

The nice thing about Redbox is it is disc rental, for Netflix, apart from the rental charges, there is also internet charges. Can a standard high speed (not the "extreme" high speed version) internet connection watch movies online without pauses/delays?

I noticed Amazon.com has movies on demand at low prices but they are not available in Canada.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
2400 posts
557 upvotes
Moncton
^^
From Netflix:
Manage video quality

We know that some of you have Internet data caps and we want to make it easier for you to manage how much data you use. We offer 3 video quality settings to help you manage your data usage. No matter what level you choose, your Netflix membership price will remain the same.

Good quality (up to 0.3 GB per hour)
Better quality (up to 0.7 GB per hour)
Best quality (up to 1.0 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour for HD)
If nobody else is using the Internet in your home, basic high speed is usually sufficient. I have 6mbps DSL connection with BellAliant and it is plenty for Super HD (their highest resolution). If you have a low speed Internet, downloading via iTunes, CinemaNow and the PS3 video store is better because you don't have to worry about your Internet speed.

You might also want to consider a zip.ca subscription.
Clicking on "Thanks" is appreciated.
Pete_Coach and Armeee are on my ignore list.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3712 posts
2259 upvotes
Toronto
Not redbox. But I saw Skyfall at a DVD rental machine at Markville Walmart(in Markham). It's a yellow machine. I can't remember the name.

I like redbox especially when they give you those save $1.50 promo codes.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2013
146 posts
6 upvotes
Very glad that Redbox is bringing in Skyfall and Argo. At least they are bringing in some quality movies and not just the 'B' movies.

Skyfall available now at Redbox, March 12, 2013. Rental is $1.50 per night.

Argo coming soon in two weeks.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
17214 posts
1483 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Also when you go to the site, pick your location. I noticed that not all movies can be found in all locations.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2013
146 posts
6 upvotes
I agree. There is this safeway site that do not always have the movies from other safeway locations. The other reason is people take out from location and return at a different one.

Argo and Zero Dark Thirty available now at Redbox. Glad Redbox is bringing in some box office movies, otherwise I have nothing to rent from them.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2013
146 posts
6 upvotes
Lincoln and Killing Them Softly now available at Redbox.
× < >