None
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Feb 10th, 2015 10:08 pm
What I would have liked would be if you could pick up the disc at a Redbox and mail it back. That way you wouldn't have to make a second trip to return it.

I personally think that Blu-ray's days as a rental medium are over. Streaming is slightly lower quality, but it's pretty close, and you can't beat the convenience. Heck, with increasing technology and higher bandwidth, it will probably eventually surpass Blu-Ray quality. Also, you don't have to deal with unskippable blu-ray menus and it can be played on a wide range of devices. DRM isn't really an issue, since when you rent something as long as you can play it back on what you have now you're ok (you're not worried about playback in the future).

I don't think Blu-ray sales will stop, though. I think that there will always be a demand for a physical product that can be resold, traded, lent to friends, no DRM issues, etc. What I'd like it to be able to buy a Blu-ray disc online and upon purchase get a code that'll allow me to view a streaming copy to watch immediately.
Then you'd need to watch the movie twice, once in inferior quality. Better to just wait a day or two.

As for digital d/l or streaming, what makes you think they can't integrate unskippable ads into that? And your existing equipment may play existing content, but what if you were forced to constantly upgrade your gear to access future content - and the new gear was incompatible with older content, like what we see with game consoles. The corporations want to continue taking money out of your pocket one way or another. You may as well get physical media in exchange. At least then you have the option to completely cut the ties (and the payments) and just sit back and enjoy the media collection you've already paid for. Won't the corporations hate it if we all do that. :lol:
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
lenkov wrote:
Feb 10th, 2015 10:30 pm
Those who love physical media and want to save internet bandwidth charges, there is still dvdflix.ca in business. Ships DVD by Canada Post. $19.99 plus tax a month for 3 DVDs at a time. Based in Vancouver.

http://www.dvdflix.ca/
Far too remote for most of us. You'd be lucky to get 3 dvds/wk, 12/month.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Dec 1, 2012
202 posts
30 upvotes
Tornado F2 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2015 10:58 pm
Far too remote for most of us. You'd be lucky to get 3 dvds/wk, 12/month.
Good for people in the west. 12/month is decent for $19.99. That's about $1.66 per DVD, 16 cents more than Redbox. Physical media and new release movies.

Where else to watch new release movies at under $5?

YouTube offers new release movies for $4.99. No need to install or download software to watch movies.
Dec 26, 2008
402 posts
114 upvotes
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Feb 10th, 2015 10:08 pm
What I would have liked would be if you could pick up the disc at a Redbox and mail it back. That way you wouldn't have to make a second trip to return it.

I personally think that Blu-ray's days as a rental medium are over. Streaming is slightly lower quality, but it's pretty close, and you can't beat the convenience. Heck, with increasing technology and higher bandwidth, it will probably eventually surpass Blu-Ray quality. Also, you don't have to deal with unskippable blu-ray menus and it can be played on a wide range of devices. DRM isn't really an issue, since when you rent something as long as you can play it back on what you have now you're ok (you're not worried about playback in the future).
I'm just curious. What service provides streaming of New Release Movies, with near-blu ray quality and for 2 bucks a rental? Not trying to come across as a jerk. I just never heard of it. Netflix only has older movies. Internet tv boxes generally have poorer quality and there's a legitimacy issue too. Is there some other service?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
1801 posts
594 upvotes
Toronto
lenkov wrote:
Feb 10th, 2015 10:30 pm
Those who love physical media and want to save internet bandwidth charges, there is still dvdflix.ca in business. Ships DVD by Canada Post. $19.99 plus tax a month for 3 DVDs at a time. Based in Vancouver.

http://www.dvdflix.ca/
Are these guys any good. I notice they have blu rays too (they dont differentiate).. 19.99 /month is still decent if you watch them and send them back all the time.. I still preferred the redbox thing since you only paid for what you used.. although if you watch a ton of movies dvdflix is probably better.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4767 posts
585 upvotes
Ottawa
Shoppersbeermart wrote:
Feb 11th, 2015 1:40 am
I'm just curious. What service provides streaming of New Release Movies, with near-blu ray quality and for 2 bucks a rental? Not trying to come across as a jerk. I just never heard of it. Netflix only has older movies. Internet tv boxes generally have poorer quality and there's a legitimacy issue too. Is there some other service?
I was thinking mainly of the various Video-on-Demand services. Yeah, they're not as cheap (anywhere from $5 to $10), but they're relatively close to blu-ray quality (yeah, that's very subjective) and will probably be getting better. I personally think that while they cost more (for now, I would assume that prices would eventually lower somewhat) they are more convenient.
Dec 1, 2012
202 posts
30 upvotes
geogolem wrote:
Feb 11th, 2015 1:58 am
Are these guys any good. I notice they have blu rays too (they dont differentiate).. 19.99 /month is still decent if you watch them and send them back all the time.. I still preferred the redbox thing since you only paid for what you used.. although if you watch a ton of movies dvdflix is probably better.
Never heard of them (dvdflix.ca). I found them when searching for a RedBox replacement.

Agree, I prefer the RedBox model, pay for what you watch...

If they rent their new release movies by the DVD for under $3 a day, I will go for them. If it is over $3 a day, then I may not want to wait for them in the mail.
Nov 19, 2009
18 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Dvd Flix is not accepting new members at the moment which is strange.
Nov 19, 2009
18 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Niklasky wrote:
Feb 10th, 2015 5:20 pm
Why would you want to go rent a movie in a store, presumably a media such as VHS, DVD or Bluray, when you can have everything available at once and in 1080p on your TV or computer ? Tell me who in their right mind would prefer to put on coats, scarves and boots and step out into the cold winter evening to go rent a f**king movie, when they can just get it within seconds and without removing their feet from the coffee table ? I havent used a CD, DVD or Bluray in about 12 years...

What century do you people live in ?

The market has spoken. People don't want to go out and rent movies.
Yes we can all be lazy like you and watch movies on our computers in our underwear..what a future!
Nov 19, 2009
18 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Yeah I agree, I got into the habit and renting more on free Thurs and occasionally paying on a Sat. I don't know what the strategy was with free promos like that, I think to get you in the habit but Canadians are cheap so they will not do that.
geogolem wrote:
Feb 9th, 2015 12:02 am
I disagree.. I just think redbox gave all the movies away for free.. I dont think the market has spoken. I think they missed the boat.

I think the majority of people who ended up using redbox... used promo codes.. whilst many people never really bothered to try it or figure out what it was all about..

the people who used it, used it alot but didn't pay..

It is unfortunate.. i suppose.

anyway thats just my opinion.
Jan 1, 2011
633 posts
167 upvotes
Etobicoke
Wiseman wrote:
Feb 5th, 2015 10:21 pm
Does that mean Staples is next to go?
Put Petro-Canada on that list too.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
7094 posts
6371 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Next will be HMV leaving Canada. But HMW and Redbox have less to do with "leaving Canada" and more to do with business models that serve a format that is fading hard. When you think of the prices Redbox charged and total up the revenue per machine less rent less DVD cost less maintenance etc....it's just hard to see where and how it is sustainable. Redbox's business...I guess will have to be served at the corner store that has a DVD section.

Retail has gotten away with old school bricks and mortar and physical presence for awhile while online shopping and online media delivery was gaining a foothold over the last decade. Now it has, expect rapid change in physical retail. Seeing a retail big box REIT like Riocan near all time highs makes me scratch my head given the headwinds.

If you want to feel bad 'boo hood..so and so is leaving Canada everything's great in the US' well just take a look at Radio Shack, Sears, kmart, JC Penny etc in the US...legacy businesses are getting blown out of the water there also. The few physical survivors like Walmart are reaping the rewards.

Get used to it. It's just beginning.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2683 posts
739 upvotes
The major movie studios didn't much like the low-cost rental stores... but with their demise, people are being pushed to all-digital options... many of which incur a monthly fee or you can watch a movie over a short period of time but have to pay again if you want to watch it again.

I'm a huge critic of illegal downloading (it IS stealing regardless of what you think of how much DVD sales are overpriced) but the studios seem content to PUSH people towards illegal downloads: after you download it illegally, you can watch it over and over as much as you want. I've had so much hassle with region restrictions on "Digital Copy" versions I try to download, if there's anything that the US / Canadian governments should be doing is unifying the digital media landscape and do away with all of these anachronistic licensing agreements between US content creators and Canadian licensees that restrict how Canadians get access to the content produced in the US.
na na na na na na na na na NA.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4169 posts
819 upvotes
Wat
bmedicky wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 9:15 am
Put Petro-Canada on that list too.
Petro Canada is struggling? Really?
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13794 posts
1304 upvotes
Niklasky wrote:
Feb 10th, 2015 5:20 pm
Why would you want to go rent a movie in a store, presumably a media such as VHS, DVD or Bluray, when you can have everything available at once and in 1080p on your TV or computer ? Tell me who in their right mind would prefer to put on coats, scarves and boots and step out into the cold winter evening to go rent a f**king movie, when they can just get it within seconds and without removing their feet from the coffee table ? I havent used a CD, DVD or Bluray in about 12 years...

What century do you people live in ?

The market has spoken. People don't want to go out and rent movies.
Amen. I've been watching this thread with a sort of curious interest; like I'm studying an alien lifeform on another planet. I've even shown my friends and they laugh. The funniest thing is, we're not even that young. We're in our mid-30's and haven't bought or rented a movie in years. Until I saw this thread, I thought that we were the norm and services like Redbox were for geriatrics without children or grandchildren to help them out.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.