Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13794 posts
1304 upvotes
lorax1284 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 10:34 am
The major movie studios didn't much like the low-cost rental stores... but with their demise, people are being pushed to all-digital options... many of which incur a monthly fee or you can watch a movie over a short period of time but have to pay again if you want to watch it again.

I'm a huge critic of illegal downloading (it IS stealing regardless of what you think of how much DVD sales are overpriced) but the studios seem content to PUSH people towards illegal downloads: after you download it illegally, you can watch it over and over as much as you want. I've had so much hassle with region restrictions on "Digital Copy" versions I try to download, if there's anything that the US / Canadian governments should be doing is unifying the digital media landscape and do away with all of these anachronistic licensing agreements between US content creators and Canadian licensees that restrict how Canadians get access to the content produced in the US.
Nope, they are destined to the same fate as the music industry, fighting over the scraps of their dwindling market share because they are too stupid, too stubborn and too entrenched to change.

Don't worry, like CDs, I'm sure Wal-Mart will continue to distribute Blurays for some time, while the rest of the world moves on.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
1787 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
Syne wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 11:47 am
Amen. I've been watching this thread with a sort of curious interest; like I'm studying an alien lifeform on another planet. I've even shown my friends and they laugh. The funniest thing is, we're not even that young. We're in our mid-30's and haven't bought or rented a movie in years. Until I saw this thread, I thought that we were the norm and services like Redbox were for geriatrics without children or grandchildren to help them out.
Im in a similar age range and I thought the same thing.. Until I finally decided to used redbox last November. With the changing laws in Canada regarding downloading copyrighted content. Insane overage charged by ISP's and expensive digital rentals via On Demand services.. redbox was actually quite good. The BluRay is still the best quality. There are blu ray rips that are great but sometimes when downloading the audio has sync issues etc. Redbox was extremely cheap and convenient.

Don't get me wrong, if there was a cheap service like netflix that had all the new releases I woul be all over it, but really there isn't much decent alternative to redbox at this time other than the library.
Jul 14, 2014
558 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What does the legislation say now with regards to downloading ?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
1787 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
Niklasky wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 12:43 pm
What does the legislation say now with regards to downloading ?
As of January 1 2015, ISP's are required to keep your data (i.e. IP address logs etc) and if a third party discovers you violated their copyright, they inform the ISP. The ISP then informs you. If the third party decides to pursue legal action the ISP is then required to hand over your information and the third party can then pursue legal action against you for violating their copyright.

Several ISP's were already participating in this "notification" system; however what changed as of January 1st is that now ISP's must keep records of your information and hand it over should the third party pursue legal action.

I got several warning notifications last year. Haven't bothered with torrents for a while now.
Jul 14, 2014
558 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Really ?

Wasn't aware of that. And I don't see how your IP logs would prove anything anyway, as with wifi nowadays anyone could be using a given IP and not necessarily the owner of the internet account.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5139 posts
854 upvotes
calgary
I stopped torrenting movies about 5 years ago right around the time I had kids. I had a nice setup with a HTPC and boxee. My reasons were because I think it sends a message that stealing is okay as long as you are not caught. With the laws changing in the studios favor though the likelihood of getting caught keeps getting increased (though still rather small).

Legally I had been using redbox a lot lately because it was cheap, had the best quality, and gave me that old school feel of visiting the video store and getting snacks and stuff... Even then I would still rent the odd movie on demand due to its convenience. Xbox video is a great service that offers trailers and rotten tomato ratings right in the movie listing.

The only other legal alternative is on demand movies for 5-6$ a pop which is what I'll be doing now that redbox is gone. I'm disappointed. I've tried mailing services before and they just didn't work out with all the mailing and waiting.

I don't rent a ton of movies (maybe 2-3/month) so this isn't going to kill me but I will sure miss them.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
1787 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
Niklasky wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 12:51 pm
Really ?

Wasn't aware of that. And I don't see how your IP logs would prove anything anyway, as with wifi nowadays anyone could be using a given IP and not necessarily the owner of the internet account.
I think the owner takes all responsibility... and also when you are at a Tim Horton's or something, its in all that disclaimer legal jargon.. not too sure.. but it worked on me. I dont bother with it anymore.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13794 posts
1304 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 12:55 pm
I stopped torrenting movies about 5 years ago right around the time I had kids. I had a nice setup with a HTPC and boxee.
The HTPC landscape has changed a bit since you last used it. While torrents still have their place, they are being replaced by streaming sites. Legally, these are better because unlike torrents, you are not sharing or uploading content, which is what makes you vulnerable to being tracked, and Canada's laws on the legality of downloading only are still in a grey area.
The only other legal alternative is on demand movies for 5-6$ a pop which is what I'll be doing now that redbox is gone.
You are worried about the type of message that stealing sends, but what kind of message are you sending when you knuckle under to any pricing model you are given without question? What's the lesson there, that the consumer has no choice unless the industry dictates it for us?
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5139 posts
854 upvotes
calgary
Syne wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 1:23 pm
You are worried about the type of message that stealing sends, but what kind of message are you sending when you knuckle under to any pricing model you are given without question? What's the lesson there, that the consumer has no choice unless the industry dictates it for us?
Lol, if you don't like the pricing of something at the store do you steal it too?

No! you don't purchase it or look for a better deal... That's how consumers should dictate price, not by stealing.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13794 posts
1304 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 1:44 pm
Lol, if you don't like the pricing of something at the store do you steal it too?

No! you don't purchase it or look for a better deal... That's how consumers should dictate price, not by stealing.
All new releases are now only available at $5-6 from PPV providers which require an existing subscription. What other deals should I be looking out for?

Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5139 posts
854 upvotes
calgary
Syne wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 1:51 pm
All new releases are now only available at $5-6 from PPV providers which require an existing subscription. What other deals should I be looking out for?
I don't know, cinemanow and iTunes are both available to you free to use on your htpc. If you afford 5$ for a new release rental wait till it hits Netflix at 10$/month... Redbox was available for 1-2$/movie but apparently that was to much money and work for you.

All the power to you if you want to pirate movies, all I'm saying is don't use the price of ppv rentals combined it with some "stick it to the man" mentality as some justification to do it. There is plenty of options at reasonable and totally affordable prices (5$/rental was the standard at BB for years). It's still stealing.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12043 posts
3019 upvotes
Ottawa
Syne wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 1:51 pm
That’s the problem….there are no other deals.

Most of the people I know are tech savvy wirecutters. And for the most part, Redbox filled a need to supplement existing gaps from content services to legally watch recent releases in full HD (1080P) without paying any subscription fees or high rental rates.

Most of the wire cutters I know LIKED it and they were all various ages ranging from late 20’s to late 30’s. A lot of people didn’t know about it though. One person used to rent from iTunes and switched to Redbox after they found out there were several nearby. It’s not a matter of people being geriatrics or an alien life form, most of the people I know appreciated it as a supplementary LEGAL source of content.

As I said, I prefer physical media whenever possible. Since I found Redbox to be convenient enough and I can get high nitrate video, lossless 7.1 audio for the lowest possible price, I would still prefer it even if the cost disparity was smaller.

I know I watched a lot more content because the rentals are so cheap. Quite often, I would take a chance on renting a movie, and stop watching it halfway through if I didn’t like it. I don’t mind doing that for $2 a rental. I wouldn’t take as many chances with rentals at $6 a pop

Unless there is no other way to get the content, I avoid torrenting
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5139 posts
854 upvotes
calgary
warpdrive wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 2:33 pm

I know I watched a lot more content because the rentals are so cheap. Quite often, I would take a chance on renting a movie, and stop watching it halfway through if I didn’t like it. I don’t mind doing that for $2 a rental. I wouldn’t take as many chances with rentals at $6 a pop
Yup, going through on demand stuff we always throw some half interesting titles as either "Well get it from redbox" or "Well wait till it hits netflix". One of those options has been eliminated.

I too preferred the lossless sound that comes from blurays.
Feb 21, 2012
239 posts
167 upvotes
Gananoque, ON
Not surprising at all. I barely know anyone that even has a DVD Player anymore. When you have iTunes, Netflix and many other options, whats the point? DVDs and BluRays should be phased out completely by now.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1718 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
bstevenhaagen wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 3:05 pm
Not surprising at all. I barely know anyone that even has a DVD Player anymore. When you have iTunes, Netflix and many other options, whats the point? DVDs and BluRays should be phased out completely by now.
You can carry on paying iTunes, Netflix, etc (plus ISPs) for the rest of your days, if you like. Those of us with physical media collections don't need to pay for anything more, other than hydro. ;)
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?