None
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4169 posts
819 upvotes
Wat
Tornado F2 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 3:38 pm
You can carry on paying iTunes, Netflix, etc (plus ISPs) for the rest of your days, if you like. Those of us with physical media collections don't need to pay for anything more, other than hydro. ;)
I assume you are are talking about purchasing movies? You know you can buy movies on Itunes right? It's a one time cost and stays on your hard drive.. no physical media collections (I call clutter) to manage and take care of.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Wiseman wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 3:57 pm
I assume you are are talking about purchasing movies? You know you can buy movies on Itunes right? It's a one time cost and stays on your hard drive.. no physical media collections (I call clutter) to manage and take care of.
Good luck with all that content sitting on a vulnerable hard drive.

As for "clutter", I could easily rip my DVDs and store them away if I wanted, but I prefer to have my discs around. I grew up collecting rock albums, etc, so movie discs are a continuation of that.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4169 posts
819 upvotes
Wat
Tornado F2 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 4:06 pm
Good luck with all that content sitting on a vulnerable hard drive.

As for "clutter", I could easily rip my DVDs and store them away if I wanted, but I prefer to have my discs around. I grew up collecting rock albums, etc, so movie discs are a continuation of that.
And good luck with your physical media in event of fire/flood/theft/lending out etc.
If something happens to a hard drive, no big deal, just re-download it.

But anyway you insinuated there's an ongoing cost with using digital media over physical but that's not true.
Jul 14, 2014
559 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto, ON
CD, DVD and Bluray deteriorate over time as well. They probably have a life expectancy of about 30 years, if used and stored properly.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12392 posts
3417 upvotes
Ottawa
bstevenhaagen wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 3:05 pm
Not surprising at all. I barely know anyone that even has a DVD Player anymore. When you have iTunes, Netflix and many other options, whats the point? DVDs and BluRays should be phased out completely by now.
The point? Because $1.50 per view as opposed to $5-7 per view.

Last time I checked, Blurays still look a LOT better than any streaming option in sound and picture quality.

Personally, I’d rather buy my movie on physical media and rip to hard disk or network drive, gives me the best of both worlds.

There are also lots of old movies which you can’t access at all on streaming services. Just a few months ago, I bought a movie on used DVD that I couldn’t find ANYWHERE: torrents, netflix, Rogers on demand. Amazon's Video service had it in their catalog but “this content is not available at this time”.

It’ll be sad when movies stop being issued on disk and you’ll have to rely on somebody having it in their streaming catalogue in order for you to watch it.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Wiseman wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 4:16 pm
And good luck with your physical media in event of fire/flood/theft/lending out etc.
If something happens to a hard drive, no big deal, just re-download it.

But anyway you insinuated there's an ongoing cost with using digital media over physical but that's not true.
I was referring to streaming services like Netflix.

As for re-downloading GBs of data, that won't be quick or cheap.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Niklasky wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 4:21 pm
CD, DVD and Bluray deteriorate over time as well. They probably have a life expectancy of about 30 years, if used and stored properly.
They used to say that about vinyl LPs too. Guess what? They still work fine if you keep them clean and dust-free. Even cassette tapes seem to be holding up, going off some I digitised awhile back. I can't imagine HDDs holding up for anything like as long.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4169 posts
819 upvotes
Wat
Tornado F2 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 4:42 pm
I was referring to streaming services like Netflix.

As for re-downloading GBs of data, that won't be quick or cheap.

I have 400GB cap with teksavvy that I don't even get close to every month. I'm lucky if I break 100GB. I don't understand how bandwidth is an issue and used as an argument in this day and age. People who have crappy caps, SWITCH providers. I was with Rogers for the longest time and it was painful monitoring my usage carefully so I didn't go over 60GB. But with all the alternatives today this should be a non-issue.
Tornado F2 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 4:45 pm
They used to say that about vinyl LPs too. Guess what? They still work fine if you keep them clean and dust-free. Even cassette tapes seem to be holding up, going off some I digitised awhile back. I can't imagine HDDs holding up for anything like as long.
Another point is old media formats eventually die out. Say you bought a movie in VHS format in the early 90's, and were laughing about how you could watch that movie anytime you want without additional cost except for hydro for the rest of your life.. well good luck trying to buy a VCR to play that movie today. You would have had to re-buy the movie in DVD. So much for your original money spent on VHS, you just paid twice for the same movie. Same thing will happen with DVD/BR and whatever the next physical format (if there is one) will be. And of course there's the risk of damage or loss of physical media.

But anyway, I just think the whole collecting of movies is pointless, but that's another thread.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
3049 posts
630 upvotes
Tornado F2 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 4:45 pm
Don't forget 8 track cartridges. My uncle back home still have a collection of his music in that format and they sound good for something that is almost 40 years old.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
wal3145 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 6:48 pm
Don't forget 8 track cartridges. My uncle back home still have a collection of his music in that format and they sound good for something that is almost 40 years old.
I can't "forget" a format that was obsolete before I bought my first cassette. :lol:

I have heard of 8-track, but don't recall ever even seeing it, except in old magazines.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
11628 posts
14804 upvotes
bstevenhaagen wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 3:05 pm
Not surprising at all. I barely know anyone that even has a DVD Player anymore. When you have iTunes, Netflix and many other options, whats the point? DVDs and BluRays should be phased out completely by now.
That's funny, because everyone I know HAS a dvd player. Some people even have VHS machines.

Movies streamed from Netflix, iTunes, don't have extras on them like the physical media. Sometimes you want to see behind the scene stuff or director commentaries. These are only found on dvd or blu-ray.
Have a nice day!

Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Wiseman wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 5:05 pm
Another point is old media formats eventually die out. Say you bought a movie in VHS format in the early 90's, and were laughing about how you could watch that movie anytime you want without additional cost except for hydro for the rest of your life.. well good luck trying to buy a VCR to play that movie today. You would have had to re-buy the movie in DVD. So much for your original money spent on VHS, you just paid twice for the same movie. Same thing will happen with DVD/BR and whatever the next physical format (if there is one) will be. And of course there's the risk of damage or loss of physical media.

But anyway, I just think the whole collecting of movies is pointless, but that's another thread.
If you only have a single playback device, that could be an issue, but anybody with any sense can easily avoid it. I couldn't tell you how many CD/DVD-compatible drives I currently have, they're that ubiquitous. And I long ago digitised my (modest) collection of VHS movies.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4169 posts
819 upvotes
Wat
LonesomeDove wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 7:12 pm
That's funny, because everyone I know HAS a dvd player. Some people even have VHS machines.

Movies streamed from Netflix, iTunes, don't have extras on them like the physical media. Sometimes you want to see behind the scene stuff or director commentaries. These are only found on dvd or blu-ray.
Everyone I know has a dvd player as well but no one I know uses them anymore.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Wiseman wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 8:27 pm
Everyone I know has a dvd player as well but no one I know uses them anymore.
Perhaps they should have bought some discs... ;)
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4169 posts
819 upvotes
Wat
Tornado F2 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 7:13 pm
If you only have a single playback device, that could be an issue, but anybody with any sense can easily avoid it. I couldn't tell you how many CD/DVD-compatible drives I currently have, they're that ubiquitous. And I long ago digitised my (modest) collection of VHS movies.
Back in the VHS days we had 5-6 VCR's in our house (well my parent's house). All the machines have died.. due to age I presume.