None
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4169 posts
819 upvotes
Wat
Tornado F2 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 8:29 pm
Perhaps they should have bought some discs... ;)
LOL I can't speak for them, but I was once a movie collector.. until one day I asked myself why am I doing this? 90% of my collection was still unopened in original sealed packaging. Luckily at that time I was able to dump about half my collection because blockbuster was giving $4 credit for any dvd. This was just before they went out of business, a few years ago. I should've dumped them all because the other half of my collection has been sitting on a shelf since then, untouched.

I'm fully converted now to streaming and digital media such as netflix etc. I don't really care for the extras and commentary on discs, but I guess that's a personal preference.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Wiseman wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 8:43 pm
LOL I can't speak for them, but I was once a movie collector.. until one day I asked myself why am I doing this? 90% of my collection was still unopened in original sealed packaging. Luckily at that time I was able to dump about half my collection because blockbuster was giving $4 credit for any dvd. This was just before they went out of business, a few years ago. I should've dumped them all because the other half of my collection has been sitting on a shelf since then, untouched.

I'm fully converted now to streaming and digital media such as netflix etc. I don't really care for the extras and commentary on discs, but I guess that's a personal preference.
I traded many of my DVDs at BBV too and ended up with a spare PS3 - still sitting unopened in its box. Hard to say if I benefitted from that or not. How did you fare with your BBV credit? Presumably you didn't use it for more DVDs, and there wasn't time to use it up on rentals.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
11617 posts
14800 upvotes
Tornado F2 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 7:09 pm
I can't "forget" a format that was obsolete before I bought my first cassette. :lol:

I have heard of 8-track, but don't recall ever even seeing it, except in old magazines.
If you never seen a 8-track, that means you were born after 1980. 8-tracks were very popular in the 1960's to the late 1970's. Virtually every car in that time period had a 8-track player. The only benefit of the 8-track was you did not need to rewind it as they played in an endless loop. They jammed easily though.
Have a nice day!

Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Wiseman wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 8:30 pm
Back in the VHS days we had 5-6 VCR's in our house (well my parent's house). All the machines have died.. due to age I presume.
There were these things called cleaning kits. ;)

[IMG]http://www.electronicworld.co.nz/ic/157 ... leaner.jpg[/IMG]
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
LonesomeDove wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 8:53 pm
If you never seen a 8-track, that means you were born after 1980. 8-tracks were very popular in the 1960's to the late 1970's. Virtually every car in that time period had a 8-track player. The only benefit of the 8-track was you did not need to rewind it as they played in an endless loop. They jammed easily though.
Our cars had AM radios. (Probably FM too). But at least music was still worth listening to back then. :lol:
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4169 posts
819 upvotes
Wat
Tornado F2 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 8:52 pm
I traded many of my DVDs at BBV too and ended up with a spare PS3 - still sitting unopened in its box. Hard to say if I benefitted from that or not. How did you fare with your BBV credit? Presumably you didn't use it for more DVDs, and there wasn't time to use it up on rentals.
That's funny because I wanted a spare PS3 as well (which I would've used in the basement). But my wife convinced me to buy a Nintendo DSi XL for our 2nd child so there wouldn't be any fighting. So I got the DSi and used the remaining to buy the PS3 Move bundle and I sold it on kijiji. I'm done with buying movies, that wasn't an option.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Wiseman wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 9:03 pm
That's funny because I wanted a spare PS3 as well (which I would've used in the basement). But my wife convinced me to buy a Nintendo DSi XL for our 2nd child so there wouldn't be any fighting. So I got the DSi and used the remaining to buy the PS3 Move bundle and I sold it on kijiji. I'm done with buying movies, that wasn't an option.
How much were DSi XLs back then? The PS3 cost me about 90 DVD movies (or perhaps more - they lowered the TIV).
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4169 posts
819 upvotes
Wat
Tornado F2 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 9:19 pm
How much were DSi XLs back then? The PS3 cost me about 90 DVD movies (or perhaps more - they lowered the TIV).
They were $170+tax. I think I traded in about 70 movies. I had to open every single DVD as BBV wouldn't take them sealed :|
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Wiseman wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 9:45 pm
They were $170+tax. I think I traded in about 70 movies. I had to open every single DVD as BBV wouldn't take them sealed :|
You traded in a bunch of never-watched movies? You must really hate physical media! :lol:

$170 is actually a pretty decent price for an XL even now, unless I'm mistaken. Ah, but that's for 3DS XLs isn't it. :lol:
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4169 posts
819 upvotes
Wat
Tornado F2 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2015 10:25 pm
You traded in a bunch of never-watched movies? You must really hate physical media! :lol:

$170 is actually a pretty decent price for an XL even now, unless I'm mistaken. Ah, but that's for 3DS XLs isn't it. :lol:
It was more of hating the clutter and managing it as well as realizing I will probably never re-watch those movies again. I picked the movies I really wanted to keep and would fit on my existing dvd shelf. My wife had suggested we buy another shelf to house the rest of the dvds, but I vetoed that idea, and traded them for credit. In hindsight I think I should've got rid of more, but for now I'll keep what I have as a reminder..and who knows maybe they'll be worth something someday since they're mint ;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3427 posts
2184 upvotes
Toronto
RIP redbox. Last night you could rent was tonight.
FreezingCanada wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 5:41 pm
We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Dec 26, 2008
402 posts
114 upvotes
Sort of a similar topic...

While I supported Redbox and thought it could have stayed competitive if managed right, i have no idea how used DVD stores still stay in business.

I'm looking at places such as Deja Vu Discs and the bottom section of the BMV bookstore. I'm sure there are similar places outside Toronto.

5.00-10.00 for used DVDs. Not just rarer titles but pretty much everything. Major Hollywood hits. You can legally acquire most of their movies brand new for less than their average price for their used DVDs.

I doubt they can last much longer.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
16447 posts
4491 upvotes
Pawn shops where I am have a sign up now... " buy 2 DVDs, get 3 free". I'll take a pic when I get around to it...
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
DougO wrote:
Feb 17th, 2015 10:33 am
Pawn shops where I am have a sign up now... " buy 2 DVDs, get 3 free". I'll take a pic when I get around to it...
I hope you're not really at the pawn shop. :lol:

"B2G3" all depends on what they charge for one DVD. If they charge $10/DVD it works out as $4/DVD when you buy 5.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
1803 posts
595 upvotes
Toronto
Shoppersbeermart wrote:
Feb 14th, 2015 12:55 pm
Sort of a similar topic...

While I supported Redbox and thought it could have stayed competitive if managed right, i have no idea how used DVD stores still stay in business.

I'm looking at places such as Deja Vu Discs and the bottom section of the BMV bookstore. I'm sure there are similar places outside Toronto.

5.00-10.00 for used DVDs. Not just rarer titles but pretty much everything. Major Hollywood hits. You can legally acquire most of their movies brand new for less than their average price for their used DVDs.

I doubt they can last much longer.
ya i know.. i recently unloaded a bunch at the beat goes on.. and i was surprised they took all that crap..and that they can stay in business...