Does that mean Staples is next to go?
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3925 posts
5892 upvotes
Ontario
Menace wrote:
Feb 5th, 2015 6:30 pm
Sorry, I have never heard this company. Is that red dvd rental box near Walmart cashiers?
It's probably the Redbox. There was one at my local Walmart for a month or so then it disappeared (now the WM box program lockers are in the same space). Local Food Basics had a Redbox inside the store, then it was outside then it disappeared>saw the one at Walmart. Probably a matter of finding where shoppers would actually stop and take a film rental.
2019-roll out the gold carpet!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9801 posts
1208 upvotes
Bleu. I like redbox. It was convenient. Sure, I guess I can go DL things... but bleh.
Jul 6, 2008
879 posts
208 upvotes
GTA
I was like go rent a ton of movies and don't return them.. but then you will be charge $30 each :(
Jul 27, 2009
4 posts
Ottawa, ON
Lots of people sad to see Redbox go. There are no alternatives of movie rental in Canada. The video stores are gone. Very few left to convenient serve us. People complain so much about Redbox but I found them to be super conveniently located in some many locations and with great price. It's funny how the cheap guys compare downloading pirated movies and getting movies from the library for free (let the less privileged kids get the movies from the library instead of fighting to reserve them). Go rent some movies from Redbox this weekend and show them a big spike in rentals to change their mind. I think all of you on this thread would be happy to give $2 to Redbox every week for their great service. I rather spend $8 a month on redbox than cable TV.
Jan 26, 2012
199 posts
80 upvotes
Ontario
I thought it was a great idea when i first used it, but it wore off after a few rentals. I feel like it lacked the quality of titles and wasn't updated with new DVD releases. They had a lot of free movie nights on Thursdays but even that wasn't enough incentive due to the movie selection.
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto, ON
BornToSave wrote:
Feb 5th, 2015 4:45 pm
Just got an email about this. TOTALLY BUMMED OUT OVER THIS!

They put Zip out of business then flee the country like Target. Guess it is hard to cover costs at $1.50/rental.

I refuse to rent on demand from Robbers. Guess I will just have to wait a few more months for the movies to reach Netflix.
Netflix? ROFL... They get c movies after a few years if that... You will have better luck waiting for it to show on tv
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
1111 posts
276 upvotes
YYC
I guess it's back to the torrent lol
Aug 7, 2007
402 posts
112 upvotes
Dang, I'm also sad to see them go. I wonder how many people actually knew about them, or how renting a movie from the kiosk worked. I just happened to discover them when I filled up at a gas station that had a kiosk. It looked interesting so I checked them out online and discovered there was a kiosk close to me. Renting movies was truly effortless, especially if you reserved online first. $1.50 or $2.00 for a new release movie, and they were always in stock. Guess now I know why ... nobody else was renting. I have Netflix as well (which I love) but most movies will take several months before it's added to their catalog.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5105 posts
294 upvotes
Markham
Importz wrote:
Feb 5th, 2015 10:53 pm
I guess it's back to the torrent lol
lol thats what i was thinking...with redbox torrenting was way down...so much easier
Temp. Banned
Sep 6, 2009
2182 posts
206 upvotes
Welp that now leaves the movie gallery the last place in Edmonton renting movies.
Brand NEW FUJIFILM F900EXR FOR SALE ASKING $225
Nov 19, 2009
18 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
RenegadeX wrote:
Feb 5th, 2015 8:36 pm
"No excuse?"

1. Believe it or not, some have no interest in downloading/streaming movies illegally - and legal sources likely are going to cost more than $1.50-$2/movie.
2. Most people don't want to pay their ISP any more than they're already paying, and if they went from DVD/Blu-ray rentals to (legal or illegal) online content they may need to upgrade their internet plan so that their monthly cap is increased - on Rogers extra bandwidth is $15/month. I doubt many people rented $15 of videos from Redbox a month.
3. DVDs/Blu-rays (often) have commentary audio tracks, subtitles, and special features such 'Making ofs' etc, not available online without extra effort.
4. DVDs/Blu-rays offer better quality than some streams/downloadable movies, or the capabilities of some lower-end/older playback devices.
Yes exactly on all points!
Nov 19, 2009
18 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Really sucks! I think Canadians are too lazy and cheap! There are no options for renting blurays anymore. Maybe those machines in Montreal will see any opportunity and come to Ontario. Library don't carry bluray and really isn't it about time, not like bluray is so new anymore. I made a list of 16 movies I want to rent in the next week! It seems these machines just came here. I think they are not giving it enough time. Maybe if they were called blue box and blue they would have done better...lol!
Nov 19, 2009
18 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
The one thing that annoyed me with Redbox was these "rental discs" from the major studios that had no special features. I won't miss that.