• Nov 8th, 2017 8:58 am
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11019 posts
1520 upvotes
City of Vancouver
differing wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 1:19 pm
...For those hunting for a hardshell, I've found this website to be a great resource: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/c ... ell-jacket
Isn't that site geared towards outdoorsy clothing? How much alpine climbing r u doing in Hamilton? At least in Vancouver, where the mountains are close by, it makes sense to wear Arcteryx/Rab/etc jackets.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
[OP]
Jan 7, 2017
134 posts
98 upvotes
Hamilton
Becks wrote:
Isn't that site geared towards outdoorsy clothing? How much alpine climbing r u doing in Hamilton? At least in Vancouver, where the mountains are close by, it makes sense to wear Arcteryx/Rab/etc jackets.
Well, we ski and hike in Ontario too friend. What's your deal? You've posted three times with a salty attitude. Take the low effort trolling somewhere else.

Looks like MEC updated the Synergy this winter: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-705/Synergy-Jacket
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4523 posts
246 upvotes
differing wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 11:15 pm
Haven't bought too much of their technical stuff, but their airism underwear is great for the summer. I really like their socks; they have the only no-show socks that actually stay on my feet. I actually went for a run with their heat tech socks the other night and my feet felt great!
csp wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 1:25 am
Good info so far.

Outdoorgearlab is a fairly good guide, and nice intro to hardshells. Definitely you need to evaluate your needs as mentioned earlier. That said, a decent hardshell, solid mid layer (fleece/puffy etc) and good baselayer (sized in conjunction) can cover a lot of temp and precipitation conditions.

Some will argue you can go with a windshirt or softshell if you're working hard, best method is experimentation. Many companies are now pushing breathable insulation (Polartec Alpha and Patagonia Nano Air) and softshells where you need some wind resistance without heavy wind/water protection.

Gore-Tex vs EVent vs others: long battle online, you can read up if you like to get into the weeds.

For thicker hardshells, I find pit-zips very helpful to ventilate.

For hardshells, DWR is your friend. Tumble dry and it helps restore/activate the DWR treatment.

For outdoor employees/first responders, there are often really good discounts available (e.g. Outdoor Research, Black Diamond, MEC). Take a look online and instore.

Warranties: For Arc'teryx and Patagonia, note that you can save on some shipping by bringing into the corporate stores. Some RFDers have reported they can just drop off there versus shipping back to the companies.

UNIQLO is a very good budget option. Some Eddie Bauer is also ok, but you need to do your research. Mountain Equipment Co-op is also fairly reliable, although I have noticed a shift in how they market and the level of expertise.

If you do not mind limited colours, military surplus layers on Ebay etc. can be extremely cost effective if you do your research. Some big outdoor companies have produced items that are based on their commercial line, that can be yours for a fraction of the price.
Cool, thanks. I think I'll head to a store and check out the options at UNIQLO.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10017 posts
905 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
differing wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 6:33 pm
My CG parka so that I can show off all my money duhhh
Face With Tears Of Joy

But seriously, when Uniqlo hits BC grab some heat tech tights... You'll never worry about your cold knees again.
Gotta be like Drake wearing the lame OVO $5000 bomber. Who cares about the knees. Cameras only shoot from waist up. *welp*
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING